Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JB30

I haven't done it but I've mounted many things like it to expensive fiberglass shells. I would absolutely add a backing plate, as big as you can. Don't just think about it supporting the weight of what's mounted, think about it not cracking your expensive top if a limb gets caught behind the Rotopax or one of those small mailmen (read children) decides to climb up on your Jeep for some reason and puts their foot on it for support.

Thanks Scotty. Yeah I ended using the steel backing plate available from Rotopax. And just went niiiice and slow with a tapered drill bit.

JB30

Next on the list of a thousand questions... Trying to get ahold of John at UM, but as we all know that can be a tough task...

For anyone with only two awning supports on their J30... How heavy are your awnings? My *compact* batwing arrived, but it's still 39 lbs. Concerned the two brackets I got with my top aren't going to cut it. I'm trying to track down the guys at UM for some spare brackets, but I don't know how long I can hold out... it's just *sitting* there begging to be mounted....

ventura911

Adventurer
My Scipio awning weighed 48 lbs. and I had no issues with two mounts. UMV sandwiched metal backing plates in the fiberglass.

86scotty

Cynic
I'm paying closer attention to this thread since I'm strongly considering ordering a J30 for my Rubicon. That said, and it may be covered earlier, but i was planning to mount Yakima/Thule pods/feet/whatever and rails to hole my solar and whatever else I might throw up there. I figured I'd drop the awning (Batwing for me) off the side of the rails. I'm tall so I want the extra clearance anyway. Bad idea? Been done?

JB30

I'm paying closer attention to this thread since I'm strongly considering ordering a J30 for my Rubicon. That said, and it may be covered earlier, but i was planning to mount Yakima/Thule pods/feet/whatever and rails to hole my solar and whatever else I might throw up there. I figured I'd drop the awning (Batwing for me) off the side of the rails. I'm tall so I want the extra clearance anyway. Bad idea? Been done?

I’d go the normal awning mounts off the base for sure. If you’re mounted to the roof you couldn’t have awning open with roof up.

JB30

Just for anyone who might be in a similar situation... Just talked to John. He said they no longer sandwich the metal plate in the awning mount points, so he recommended the extra brackets. If you know you're thinking of something like the Batwing, I'd strongly going for the 4 brackets from the get go.

86scotty

Cynic
I’d go the normal awning mounts off the base for sure. If you’re mounted to the roof you couldn’t have awning open with roof up.

Wow, just read your response and reread my question. What was I drinking that night? Obviously my momentary thought there won't work, as stated you can't put an awning on a pop top or you have no awning when raised. I'll be using plates.

In other news I called John and left a message and was pleasantly surprised that he returned my call with an hour or so. Great guy and looks like a shoe-in for great customer service. This too is probably covered many times in the 130 pages of this thread I haven't read.

Just putting this out there. I'm planning to drive my work truck out to pick up my top when it's ready (March-ish) I'm just about to order and I live in East Tn. If anyone anywhere across the southern US is interested in much cheaper shipping on a top I'm all ears. I own my own tractor trailer (53' dry van/box trailer) and could probably move 20 of them across if there was interest. My rate would certainly be cheaper than standard shipping, just trying to offset my cost coming back across. I'll pick up some LTL freight but likely still have room but glad to do the community here a solid if I'm able. I'll be in San Diego so I can probably also help some Aluminess customers and who knows who else. PM me.

86scotty

Cynic
Dang, I'm wordy tonight. Sorry fellas.

2 questions:

1. Anyone have a pic or info on the Navigator headliner organizer?

2. Can my rear glass with defrost and wiper be swapped over to the J30 or are they different? If so, I could swap the plain glass that comes with the J30 over to my hard top, which will probably collect dust until I sell the Jeep. $450 is $450.

JB30

Wow, just read your response and reread my question. What was I drinking that night? Obviously my momentary thought there won't work, as stated you can't put an awning on a pop top or you have no awning when raised. I'll be using plates.

In other news I called John and left a message and was pleasantly surprised that he returned my call with an hour or so. Great guy and looks like a shoe-in for great customer service. This too is probably covered many times in the 130 pages of this thread I haven't read.

Just putting this out there. I'm planning to drive my work truck out to pick up my top when it's ready (March-ish) I'm just about to order and I live in East Tn. If anyone anywhere across the southern US is interested in much cheaper shipping on a top I'm all ears. I own my own tractor trailer (53' dry van/box trailer) and could probably move 20 of them across if there was interest. My rate would certainly be cheaper than standard shipping, just trying to offset my cost coming back across. I'll pick up some LTL freight but likely still have room but glad to do the community here a solid if I'm able. I'll be in San Diego so I can probably also help some Aluminess customers and who knows who else. PM me.

Yeah it can be slightly frustrating to get in touch with them, but as you said John (and his crew in SD) are great guys. Just need to be persistent and you’ll eventually get through.

I know it’d be a heck of a long haul, but it’s pretty damn convenient to get your Jeep there and have them install it. The wiring etc aren’t rocket surgery, but they make quick work of it. And the bonus is you’d get to give your new J30 a great workout on the trek back. Easy for me to say as I’m only in LA, but I loved leaving there and heading straight to the desert for some adventure.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dang, I'm wordy tonight. Sorry fellas.

2 questions:

1. Anyone have a pic or info on the Navigator headliner organizer?

2. Can my rear glass with defrost and wiper be swapped over to the J30 or are they different? If so, I could swap the plain glass that comes with the J30 over to my hard top, which will probably collect dust until I sell the Jeep. $450 is $450.

1. It's awesome. I highly, highly recommend it. This is the best photo I have of mine:
j30-front-map-pocket-427x640.jpeg

2. The J30 top is based on the pre-2011 hardtop, which has narrow rear glass compared to 2011+ hard tops.
If your top is 2011+, you can't use it.
If you have a pre-2011, you might be able to use your own rear glass.. but obviously John would know for sure.

-Dan

rustypayne

I got a very spartan top but glad I decided to add the headliner pockets, we get quite a lot of use out of them. You can always use another spot to put stuff within arms reach. Mine is all black and you can barely tell its there, I slide things like my iPad up there when I'm not in the Jeep to keep them out of eyesight.

anselmgrey

Well, after many years of scheming about fixing up an old 80's Land Cruiser Troopie with a camper roof, I finally came to my senses and I bought a JK Sahara Chief Edition yesterday with the hope of picking up a used ursa J30 roof to camp in with my boys while they are still young. Now all I need to do is find an Ursa owner who actually is ready to pass his roof onto our family! (It seems that Ursa owners tend to consider selling, put it up for sale and then change their mind mid negotiation). :) East coast would be best, but we may be able to travel out to you! Please PM me if you come across one for sale in the 5k range. Thanks! Don

rustypayne

Well, after many years of scheming about fixing up an old 80's Land Cruiser Troopie with a camper roof, I finally came to my senses and I bought a JK Sahara Chief Edition yesterday with the hope of picking up a used ursa J30 roof to camp in with my boys while they are still young. Now all I need to do is find an Ursa owner who actually is ready to pass his roof onto our family! (It seems that Ursa owners tend to consider selling, put it up for sale and then change their mind mid negotiation). :) East coast would be best, but we may be able to travel out to you! Please PM me if you come across one for sale in the 5k range. Thanks! Don

There's a link from a couple months ago in the Midwest section in Detroit area: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ursa-minor-j30-tent-pop-up-hard-top-for-sale.198706/ guy only has one post and didn't reply to the one response back in early December.

jadmt

ignore button user
that sucks. Seems a common thing these days. I can read 20 great reviews but I read 1 or 2 negative ones and those are the ones I think about when purchasing something. The one ursa minor I looked at in person did not impress me as far as quality goes, i thought the finish (it was black) looked bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94