Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JB30

Mine rattles in the winter when the Jeep is empty but it's loaded for summer now and doesn't make a sound.

By that do you mean you have bedding up top?

The culprit for me seems to be the panel that I exit the top from - so when I replace the panel it doesn’t have the cushion on top. I can tap it with my hand from below and it moves easily because of the gap...

JDaPP

Adventurer
I put Velcro around the opening lip. Loop side on lip, hook side on panel. DO NOT put the hook all the way around the panel or it will be a B@tch to push/pull up. You can also do it without the hook at all.

JB30

I put Velcro around the opening lip. Loop side on lip, hook side on panel. DO NOT put the hook all the way around the panel or it will be a B@tch to push/pull up. You can also do it without the hook at all.

Seems like an easy solve. Thanks JDaPP

86scotty

Cynic
I put bedding on one side and leave the other side pushed out of the way (either forward or back). To be clear, this means the port on one side is not sitting in it's groove and so it doesn't hop or rattle. This give you a nice place to stuff all sorts of stuff without lifting the top. There's a good bit of storage space up there IMO for things like small bags, jackets, etc.

rustypayne

By that do you mean you have bedding up top?

The culprit for me seems to be the panel that I exit the top from - so when I replace the panel it doesn’t have the cushion on top. I can tap it with my hand from below and it moves easily because of the gap...

I keep bedding up there year round, two sleeping bags spread out flat. I don't have a problem with the panels, when I pull them into place a little wiggling seems to drop the cushion into it's place too. The rattle I get is with the top and the sound bar all winter long but when I put the kitchen in the back and add some weight below the noise stops.

I'll add that we mostly use a ladder to get in from the outside so I don't use the hatches much unless we're in a spot I don't want to use a ladder or it's raining. With two people you can use the hatch but it's a yoga workout getting in and out with someone in the way.

JB30

I keep bedding up there year round, two sleeping bags spread out flat. I don't have a problem with the panels, when I pull them into place a little wiggling seems to drop the cushion into it's place too. The rattle I get is with the top and the sound bar all winter long but when I put the kitchen in the back and add some weight below the noise stops.

I'll add that we mostly use a ladder to get in from the outside so I don't use the hatches much unless we're in a spot I don't want to use a ladder or it's raining. With two people you can use the hatch but it's a yoga workout getting in and out with someone in the way.

Ah makes sense. Yeah if the cushion was in place I’d imagine it’d take most of the rattle out. Although I’ve enjoyed a fair amount of winter camping and entering from a warm cabin is always a highlight!

Shame about your specific rattles. Would a bit of neoprene wedged up there help?

rustypayne

Ah makes sense. Yeah if the cushion was in place I’d imagine it’d take most of the rattle out. Although I’ve enjoyed a fair amount of winter camping and entering from a warm cabin is always a highlight!

Shame about your specific rattles. Would a bit of neoprene wedged up there help?

I think pushing something in there might help I just never got around to trying it this year. Driving around... that rattle is making me crazy I need to do something... get home, mind goes blank, surf internet ;)

JB30

I think pushing something in there might help I just never got around to trying it this year. Driving around... that rattle is making me crazy I need to do something... get home, mind goes blank, surf internet ;)

Haha. You are not alone ;)

Somehow on the 14,276th rattle I managed to pull over and set a reminder to do some research.

Pixler

Any tips from anyone who's mounted rotopax to their J30 blank window? Assume the round steel backing plate would be a wise addition?

I did it.
Inside I placed a steel plate diameter 15 cm and 3 mm thick.

Attachments

• IMG_E5769.JPG
    IMG_E5769.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5545.JPG
    IMG_5545.JPG
    970 KB · Views: 162

ventura911

Adventurer

For the longest time, everything I tried to prevent my hatch from rattling failed. Then I found that it wasn’t the hatch at all, but the sound bar. I simply loosened the top and placed three felt furniture pads between the camper floor and the sound bar and now enjoy one less rattle on board.

larock1971

For the longest time, everything I tried to prevent my hatch from rattling failed. Then I found that it wasn’t the hatch at all, but the sound bar. I simply loosened the top and placed three felt furniture pads between the camper floor and the sound bar and now enjoy one less rattle on board.

I did the very same thing with my sound bar, works great.

rubicon91

Explorer
Portsmouth island outer banks NC last week. Was a great place to visit.
c8ec36830480a065afb7489f1e4a2dda.jpg
20cd1b1430abd8ec2e4c04a7a381c000.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles