USB Charging Ports

Kharn

How easy are the Blue Sea outlets to install? I used Seasense's offering on my battery pack and their outlets had a body diameter just enough over 1" to require hand-trimming of each hole, making them a massive pain to install.

4xdog

Explorer
The Blue Sea USB outlet I installed took a few minutes with a round file to enlarge the existing 12V outlet hole. The outlet's exterior trim is oversized, so while my work was neat it didn't have to be perfectly cut. The Blue Sea instructions note the hole diameter required -- 30mm, IIRC-- but since I only mounted one outlet in an existing hole, I didn't pay too much attention. The Blue Sea outlet comes with a rectangular trim piece with two screw mounts you'll see in some photos that added nuthin' to my installation so I set it aside. I'm not sure what is the point of that additional trim piece.

Don

4RunAmok

Explorer
How easy are the Blue Sea outlets to install? I used Seasense's offering on my battery pack and their outlets had a body diameter just enough over 1" to require hand-trimming of each hole, making them a massive pain to install.

Head to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their inexpensive step-drills. They have them that go larger than 1". The Blue Sea is also 1 1/8 hole. Milwaukee hole saws from Home Depot work well too.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip on the BlueSea Unit. I got and installed mine today. Used a hole saw. Little dismayed at the 0.015 parasitic amp draw, but I can always pull the fuse. The annoying hum that existed on my MP3 player when charging and listening to music is now absent. That alone was worth 21$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior