USB Charging Ports

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have install a couple of the Blue Sea plugs and they are great. One small complaint...you need to switch the plug otherwise the LED is always on if powered.

Very good price from Sierra BTW

Attachments

• minipowersupply.JPG
    minipowersupply.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 10

esh

Explorer
There are more wired products coming out. Took way too long. I have a couple Blue Seas and like it.

from http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php
usb-wp.jpg

They have a single port, similar to the Blue Sea as well.

traveler57

Observer
quick fix for existing vehicles/trailers

Great find. I like it. I use a lot of other BlueSea stuff for both my jeep and my trailer, so I will add this to my next project.

For my previous projects, I already had a lot of the 12VDC plugs installed, so i used these two adapters. The first one fits flush, so it looks good. They work great and they are only $2-3 each. For anyone looking for USB, just be aware that all adapters are not 2Amp, but much lower.

USB plug adapter.jpgUSB plug adapter4.jpg

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I have install a couple of the Blue Sea plugs and they are great. One small complaint...you need to switch the plug otherwise the LED is always on if powered.

Very good price from Sierra BTW
Blue Sea's cigar plugs are the same way until you disconnect (cut the power to it) the LED inside while soldering the wires in. I wonder if you could do the same with the USB?
I'm going to get a couple of the same things. If I can't cut the power to the LED, I think I'll just cover it with something as I did with my Engel fridge.

Nice handiwork, BTW.

Elbee

Adventurer
I have a blue sea Dual USB port in my truck and I love it. The Blue Sea Socket is quality construction and has survived several road trips and camping trips charging all sorts of electronics. I would rather have a fused outlet that i know is running the appropriate voltage than to buy some cheap cigarette light usb adapter that will break or get lost eventually

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Ditto, especially when the quality of Blue Sea's products are so good. And having a dedicated USB or two in the rig is a great idea-less connections to go bad and give trouble.
I have a blue sea Dual USB port in my truck and I love it. The Blue Sea Socket is quality construction and has survived several road trips and camping trips charging all sorts of electronics. I would rather have a fused outlet that i know is running the appropriate voltage than to buy some cheap cigarette light usb adapter that will break or get lost eventually

4RunAmok

Explorer
I picked up a few of these...
http://cyclebots.com/power-accessories/isimple-12-volt-battery-to-5-volt-usb-charger.html

And intend to mount them in various places, one on the passenger side door where the window switch is so my wife can charge the phone while taking her pics without having the cord run all the way to the bottom of the console front, limiting her range of movement.

A couple more will go in the center console face up by the radio... couple for the back of the truck, etc... Cheap and easy.

4RunAmok

Explorer
So I got a couple of these installed today, and thought to take some photos.

Photo Oct 28, 1 25 10 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 28, 1 25 51 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 28, 4 48 08 PM.jpg

The wife is quite happy she doesn't have any cord limits anymore!

4RunAmok

Explorer
I tapped one of the 12v accessory plugs you see next to the USB on the console, and ran them both into that.

The USB ports come with a 3 amp fuse each, I lopped those off and put in a single 5 amp fuse, the accessory port itself is a 15 amp fuse.

4xdog

Explorer
I mounted one of the Blue Sea double-USB outlets in place of one of the 12V power points in the lower console of my 2001 Tacoma DC. Works perfectly, and I really didn't need three 12V outlets there. It charges my iPad just fine.

Don

i-THbDL3F-L.jpg

i-Hz75RgR-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles