Using a light weight aluminum Cargo Trailer body as a truck camper?

LakeLBJ

Observer
I have a half ton chevy 4x4 truck and am thinking about camper options. I don't want a big, heavy slide in camper. I'd like to take the truck bed off and replace it with a "camper box" (frame/chassis mount, not on a flat bed) that I can leave on for the months of the year when I am exploring and then change it out for the truck bed when I don't use it.

I guess think "Super Camper" if you've seen that thread. I just don't have the skills to construct something like that.

What about having a cargo trailer company build a light weight aluminum trailer without the axle and wheels? I could have then build a side entry door, and could insulate it, wire it, etc. I could then outfit it the way I want and have a lightweight custom "camper box".

Crazy idea? This seems much cheaper than other custom camper options. After a few quick measurements of my short bed truck, I think a 6'6" wide trailer, about 7 feet in length and 6th tall with a slight slant in the front like the photo below would make a great size. I could sleep on a side to side instead of front to back to leave more room.

Attachments

• wec-5610dd.jpg
    wec-5610dd.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I explored that option early on. 1-It's heavier than you think, 2- They're not that strong, 3- The aluminum skinned boxes are very loud on the road (panel flex), 4-Trailer companies make their money from high-volume production units. As soon as you want anything custom, the price goes up. I also looked at both new and used commercial freight boxes, like the Bullet build. They're very strong, and there are some good deals on used ones- probably much less than what you'd pay for an enclosed cargo trailer body. But your dimensions are a little small for that type of thing.

I'd recommend a composite box. I'll bet my brother could put one together for you for less than you think, and you could do whatever you wanted with it, both inside and out. Send me a PM if you want to get his number.

RoosterBooster

Observer
i like your way of thinking ;)

but unfortunately most trailers like that are of a very poor quality.
if you work with aluminum the amount of fasteners (rivets) is proportional with the final integrity of the box. (many company`s go with the bare minimum to save a buck)
many trailers also use steel Z-channel uprights and roof bows ( to save another buck :p )

IMHO your better off trying to learn the skills needed and build the box yourself.

you can find all the info you need online as well as a lot of help in forums like this

i can also help you with some info needed as well as with some "tricks of the trade"
(i work with Aluminum/Rivets almost every day ... among other things i customize/restore Vintage "aircraft style" trailers )

you can build a excellent, sturdy box without a single weld ... all you really need is basic carpentry skills
(if you can cut a 2x4 and drill a hole straight without hurting yourself you are already half way there lol )

just my opinion ;)

LakeLBJ

Observer
Thanks for the replies, NeverEnough and RoosterBooster. Ok, you've convinced me to stay away from the trailer hack.

I guess a custom composite box will be the answer. I know in Europe/Australia you can get them, I'm really surprised you can't get a hard sided frame mount camper in the USA. Besides outrageously expensive options like the EarthRoamer, GXV, and (less expensive) Tiger, what is there? Someone should make a insulated frame mount composite camper box for US trucks. It doesn't have to cost $350,000 for a US truck with a nice composite camper on the back. I'm not degrading those models at all, I'm sure they are worth the money, and I'd probably buy one if I had it. But the fact is we don't all need that level of elegance, and I'm sure there are people out there that want a lower profile, nicer looking more "integrated" truck/camper system for off-road/expedition use. And no, I don't want a soft side pop-up.

I did recently find online the Northstar Escape Pod 750 and 900 models. They look like possibilities for a half ton truck.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Look up Project U-hauler in the domestic fullsizes. It was still alot of work but Uhaul makes pretty good boxes unlike your average cargo trailer.

CliftonSmith

Observer
Thanks for the replies, NeverEnough and RoosterBooster. Ok, you've convinced me to stay away from the trailer hack.

I guess a custom composite box will be the answer. I know in Europe/Australia you can get them, I'm really surprised you can't get a hard sided frame mount camper in the USA. Besides outrageously expensive options like the EarthRoamer, GXV, and (less expensive) Tiger, what is there? Someone should make a insulated frame mount composite camper box for US trucks. It doesn't have to cost $350,000 for a US truck with a nice composite camper on the back. I'm not degrading those models at all, I'm sure they are worth the money, and I'd probably buy one if I had it. But the fact is we don't all need that level of elegance, and I'm sure there are people out there that want a lower profile, nicer looking more "integrated" truck/camper system for off-road/expedition use. And no, I don't want a soft side pop-up.

I did recently find online the Northstar Escape Pod 750 and 900 models. They look like possibilities for a half ton truck.

NeverEnough and RoosterBooster has there point. Dont go for poor quality camper truck... Anyways did you already decided what camper truck to have? let us know what you got :ylsmoke:

haven

Expedition Leader
If you remove the pickup bed from your truck, you'll need to add some sort of subframe to maintain the stiffness of the truck frame. A flatbed is one approach, but the subframe can be as simple as a couple of pieces of square tubing that you fasten the cargo body onto.

I googled for "pickup utility body fiberglass" and found a couple of companies that make enclosures for pickups. Take a look at http://ultimatetruckbody.com/ for one example.

The project that came to mind when I read your post is Carl Hunter's camper. Carl bought a Bigfoot fiberglass camper trailer, removed the trailer pieces, mounted the camper to a subframe and put it on the back of a Mitsubishi Fuso medium truck. Carl and his wife Mary drove that vehicle around the world without any problems.

Here's what the finished vehicle looked like
fuso-112.jpg

Your F150 isn't designed to carry a camper as heavy as the Bigfoot. However, there are several companies that make smaller, lighter fiberglass campers. And there are lots of small businesses making the "teardrop" style of trailer that could be mounted on the F150 in place of the pickup bed.

Heck, why not just buy a trailer and tow it behind your truck? Here's one that is capable of traveling off-road
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/teardrop.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz