Using tool chests or file drawers as cabinets in a van or RV build?

eporter

Adventurer
I was looking at some used Craftsman tool chests and file drawers this weekend and was wondering if there's a reason why I haven't seen more of them re-purposed into Van & RV builds?

They're made of metal, sturdy, lockable, and have heavy duty hardware. Are they also really noisy going down the road?

It seems like you could easily bolt them to the walls/floor, paint them to match an interior, and build them into a bigger plywood cabinet box if needed. I found a bunch re-purposed as kitchen islands...

This island uses Gladiator brand garage cabinets & tool storage from Home Depot. $600 for the cabinet & chest is spendy, but cheaper than having a cabinet shop build you something similar. Or find something used in a similar size/shape.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat...-Cabinet-in-Silver-Tread-GAWG302DRG/205211870

tool-chest-kitchen-island-kitchen-design-kitchen-island-repurposing-upcycling.jpg
with-lowes-Toolbox-Kitchen-Island-toolbox-converted-into-a-kitchen-island-complete-with-rhpinterestcom-tool-chest-hometalkrhhometalkcom-tool-Toolbox-Kitchen-Island-chest.jpg

These are $50 locally: "SIZES: 35H X 18W X 23D "
00k0k_6hMMOkv8qrk_1200x900.jpg

Some of these pedestal filing cabinets are really well made, and look good too. Several of these with a fridge in between and a counter on top and you're all set!
00g0g_7qckOInyZBR_1200x900.jpg

01515_6vIVoU9xDsb_1200x900.jpg

$100 and you've got all the drawers you need:
00808_cCUF2OVqkA9_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
your camper will rattle like all get out if you do not line them with something..... an added expense. The affordable ones found used are usually extremely cheaply made. The expensive ones... IMHO sometimes not much better; just paying for a name ("snap on" comes to mind)

eporter

Adventurer
Yeah, I was thinking the rattling is the biggest issue. I wonder how noisy they'd be from play in the drawers/glides themselves. Say each one had 10lbs of sand in it, instead of 20 metal spoons, would the drawers & boxes still rattle?

Still, finding some used, and putting a square of dynamat or similar on each panel might not be so bad cost-wise. I've got a decent cabinet saw setup, but it's great when you can find something ready made and make it work.

eporter

Adventurer
Ah, gotcha! I figured there was a good reason, just couldn't find anything on here pro/con. I think if you have that setup in a work van you just expect the noise along with all the other junk rattling around.

Looks like it's plywood boxes with minimal drawers then... Those fabric cubes work pretty good as "soft drawers"

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
One of the things that I've learned the more time I spend on the road or in the back country is....."less is more". Sometimes just having more drawers means you'll just add more stuff that you may or may not need. When redoing our Tiger I purposely reduced the number of drawers to reduce stuff and clutter. Only time on the road will teach this. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    788.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

eporter

Adventurer
^^That looks nice n simple. I'm thinking that's probably the way I'll go to minimize the time-suck of tons of drawers and detailed cabinetry. I'd rather be camping!

s.e.charles

the answer you're seeking is "yes; that's a great idea." so . . . "yes; that's a great idea". for your set-up.

usually, if a bunch of folks aren't already doing it, there's two reasons:

#1. they are, but are keeping it such a secret because things are working out so well they don't want anyone else in on a good thing.

#B. it's not worked out for the majority so the idea fades through attrition.

but if you are intent on trying it for yourself, find an electrician or hvac guy and ask him how his van drives with all the crap he had stashed in it.

and if you do go ahead and try it, please fabricate a way to keep the drawers & doors closed in the event of a mishap. you don't want crap flying at your head from a 50 mph crash. nothing should be unsecured in the operator's cabin. we know it's really convenient to have the binoculars on the dashboard so they can be grabbed in a moment's notice, but hit yourself in the face with them a couple of times and see if it doesn't make you rethink that strategy.

eporter

Adventurer
The path of thinking that led me here was that tool chests are sturdy & metal, so they might make for good, secure onboard storage. But I couldn't find any pros/cons on the issue. I did find this reference to using a Husky tool chest in Kgorman's Vanimal 4x4 Sprinter build.

He said "I’ll be honest, this isn’t as nice as like a full blown RBComponents unit or some of the custom stuff you see out there, but it’s very inexpensive, and works great. "
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/vanimal-4x4-sprinter-build.148750/page-8

2fd0cb2e-eba5-42a8-b8f7-541a287af6de-jpeg.457547

boxcar1

boxcar1
As usual Paul has sage advice. Less is best. My wife is a collector of Tupperware. I have seen the woman stuff more plastic containers into a camping rig than a battalion could use.
As to the tool chests..... Steel is real man. But as many have stated. Noisy.

rlrenz

Explorer
I've seen Stanley Vidmar and Lista used as on-board storage. As long as you can secure all the drawers closed for travel, either with a cabinet lock or a separate lock bar, they would work. However, you definitely don't want to do this with home shop-level tool chests. Traveling with a loaded tool chest with the constant vibration is hard on the chests, and you definitely don't want a garage-sale wonder. Using a rubber pad may help noise, but they will always be loud.

xracer144

Adventurer
I just installed these Mastercraft cabinets in my camper. Even though they are stout, I bought a bunch of Dynamat to line the panels with. But so far, zero rattles. Much better than I expected. Our highways in Manitoba are pure crap to drive on, and some of the tracks I go to have miles of washboard gravel to drive. I'll be adding at least 2 more large cabinets like this when they go on sale again. They are stainless under the protective wrap.

Attachments

• cabinet.jpeg
    cabinet.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

eporter

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback based on actual experience! No doubt metal drawers will rattle, but maybe not that bad? Please keep us posted. That looks great with the wood and stainless.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I just installed these Mastercraft cabinets in my camper. Even though they are stout, I bought a bunch of Dynamat to line the panels with. But so far, zero rattles. Much better than I expected. Our highways in Manitoba are pure crap to drive on, and some of the tracks I go to have miles of washboard gravel to drive. I'll be adding at least 2 more large cabinets like this when they go on sale again. They are stainless under the protective wrap.
Just to clarify.... did you or did you not line them yet? Hard to tell as written.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz