Utah: Smithfield Ponds/Mud Hole and FS84

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Not much of a trip report, just getting out to enjoy the outdoors.

Since I'm only home once a month currently and my 4runner has either been in the body shop or garaged it really hasn't see a good dirt road/trail in a while. So I made a little trip this morning up Farmington Canyon and headed back to FS 84 and the Smithfield Ponds/Mud Hole.

Photo's from out on FS 84.

Clean shot before the mud bath.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Up behind the stations on the way to Smithfield Ponds.

Smithfield Pond 1 (mudhole)

Smithfield Pond 2

I didn't make the drive back to the third pond, just didn't feel like it.

The switchbacks down to the ponds.

Coming back up the trail and Smithfield Pond 1

Overall, it was a great little drive I think a few areas have become a little more eroded since I was last here about 2 years ago when I had my green 4runner. Lots of folks on ATV's and RZR's. Saw only one other vehicle on the trail and that was a Jeep coming back up from the ponds.

Thanks for posting the pics. I too have wanted to explore this area and see those weather stations closer than the view from I-15. Looks doable in a stock Xterra...

taco007

Observer
Thanks for the post. I grew up below here and used to camp at these ponds on horseback when I was a teen, before the snow melted and allowed people into them from Farmington Canyon. I didn't know they were named "Smithfield Ponds" so shows you can always learn something. I love this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior