Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

Michael Gibbs

any issues with Vagabond. I ordered one last October paid 50% deposit. Paid balance in early July. No camper yet. They now are not returning my calls
or emails. Is this company reputable. Was told when I ordered it would be 6 months. I now have to make changes to a extended trip I had planed. Glad
I still have my JK.

chet6.7

Explorer
You might try posting in one of these threads if you cannot get in touch with them any other way.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
We have a Drifter and love it, Phil is very reputable and will come through on your build. They are a small business and working as hard as they can to get them out the door, they also turn out a high quality product. I believe they have gotten more orders in a shorter period of time than they originally anticipated but are working hard to turn them out. I would say keep trying to get ahold of them and call during the day. It will be worth the wait in the end!

Here's the link to our Vagabond build: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy.

roving1

I really want one of these. The fact the front overhang is longer and you can get in and out without moving the bed is exactly what I want.

But the wait list and the insane money up front lead time is just a non-starter. Giving someone 4-5 grand minimum and hoping you get something for it at some point is just a deal breaker. I also don't really get it because its not like they are buying 6 months of material in bulk or expanding into a bigger building or something. Why do you need that much money for 6 months when you have a giant waiting list waiting to buy your product? Why do I as the consumer have to shoulder all the risk?

shade

I really want one of these. The fact the front overhang is longer and you can get in and out without moving the bed is exactly what I want.

But the wait list and the insane money up front lead time is just a non-starter. Giving someone 4-5 grand minimum and hoping you get something for it at some point is just a deal breaker. I also don't really get it because its not like they are buying 6 months of material in bulk or expanding into a bigger building or something. Why do you need that much money for 6 months when you have a giant waiting list waiting to buy your product? Why do I as the consumer have to shoulder all the risk?
I didn't realize that Vagabond required a 50% deposit. They've changed their opinion about large deposits.

roving1

I didn't realize that Vagabond required a 50% deposit. They've changed their opinion about large deposits.

Yeah it's a bummer. If they were offering a 20% discount to pay cash up front for a long wait that would be one thing.

I expect a deposit, then when you are ready to put together a PO for my materials then you can demand a big chunk of change or full payment. But then I better get a reasonable hard date of 6-8 weeks to build it. This pay and pray for a year system is MENTAL.

If I have to wait a year anyways I will wait and buy used or just buy somebody's slot. :(

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
This pay and pray for a year system is MENTAL.

no kidding, interest free year long loan. Do they really need to que up materials 10 months ahead of the build? - assume that is the 50% (ha) sweet deal for Vagabond.

Last edited:
Having to pay state tax and then being expected to drive to Cali for "delivery" is also mental. I was told that some customers shipped their trucks to Cali and flew out to drive home. Shipping the camper seems the easier solution. The tax and travel cost exceeded projected freight shipping costs

chet6.7

Explorer
I was seriously wanting to buy,but the deposit coupled with the long wait before delivery is a big negative. GFC,Alu-Cab are busy as well,I am kind of surprised another manufacturer has not joined the market for a pop up wedge camper.

I was seriously wanting to buy,but the deposit coupled with the long wait before delivery is a big negative. GFC,Alu-Cab are busy as well,I am kind of surprised another manufacturer has not joined the market for a pop up wedge camper.

There is the Adventure Trailers Summit, Snap Treehouse, Ovrlnd Camper, FWC Project M (soon), admitting the last two are not wedge pop-ups. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy the Drifter but there are a lot of good options.

Runt

Adventurer
I think all the wedge campers on the market have wait times and deposits required. Highest wait time is GFC = 12 to 24 months and lowest is Adventure Trailers = 3 months. GFC is $ 500 deposit and Adventure Trailers is 50 % deposit. There price point in the market reflects the wait times. Vagabond is 12 months or so now depending on your options. Vagabond has a nice product. Arguably the best on the market. I think once you have it you'll be very happy. Oh and + 1 here that Phil is a good man. Buy in confidence but with great patience.

tacollie

Glamper
It's a pet peeve of mine when companies don't hold to their delivery dates but it happens. Honestly, if any of the wedge compsnies were mine I would be cautious of growing to fast dispute the demand. It's easy to get in over your head. When we bought our flippac it was the only option on the market and it took close to a year to get. Compared to today's options the flippac is crap. The Drifters are really nice.

There are freight companies that transport the campers. Should be pretty straight forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles