Vagabond Outdoors pop-up camper

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
I would like to have a bed platform that can pivot upwards with the top so there is more standing room when waiting out weather. The GFC floor appears to look cumbersome to deal with.
We like the idea of a pivoting bed. But we like to use the sleeping platform, with the extension retracted, for bags and other bulky items. It gets them out of the way and they're still easily accessible. If solo, they can stay on that side of the bed at camp. The retracted bed platform/ cabover is a great place for small kids to hang out as well. The pivoting bed also means reduced head clearance and it could block the fan. Overall, the sleeping platform extension is more versatile IMHO. There's full standing height from the rear to the cab wall. I do understand the benefits of a pivoting platform though.

Although we don't offer that as an option, the internal structure of our campers could definitely support the hinges and strut mounts for that system.

Last edited:
We like the idea of a pivoting bed. But we like to use the sleeping platform, with the extension retracted, for bags and other bulky items. It gets them out of the way and they're still easily accessible. If solo, they can stay on that side of the bed at camp. The retracted bed platform/ cabover is a great place for small kids to hang out as well. The pivoting bed also means reduced head clearance and it could block the fan. Overall, the sleeping platform extension is more versatile IMHO. There's full standing height from the rear to the cab wall. I do understand the benefits of a pivoting platform though.

Although we don't offer that as an option, the internal structure of our campers could definitely support the hinges and strut mounts for that system.

Thanks for thoughts Phil. All good points. waiting for a gen 1 tundra model.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Thanks everyone!

Yes, just undo the latches and push up. I personally like to do it from the outside while standing on a step stool. Tailgate also works.

The clear portions are the clear vinyl zippered windows. There’s another privacy panel (same waterproof material as the tent) that zips over that. The side screens are fixed.

The large zippered rear window has a privacy panels as well, no clear window, but the mesh unzips.

We liked the fact that the windows roll down because you can crack them open at the top and still keep your privacy. It also works better in the rain and everything is easily accessible from inside the camper.

The huge clear vinyl windows were a must for us because the fabric is so thick. Aside from the obvious illumination, the interior feels so much larger when you can see out. And if you’re hanging out in the camper when it’s cold or raining during the day, you don’t have to choose between light and warmth.

I’ll go over our system to tie- up the rolled fabric in a bit. We’re pretty stoked on how it turned out.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ With fixed side screens there is no entry via the side "doors" (and, hence a ladder): Correct? So a couple is sleeping in the RTT and in the middle of the night one or both need to get up and out to relieve themselves: How's that work out if the side "doors" are fixed? Exiting out the rear door would be a hassle. And exiting down through the truck bed would involve re-positioning the mattress segments. I must be missing something?

^ With fixed side screens there is no entry via the side "doors" (and, hence a ladder): Correct? So a couple is sleeping in the RTT and in the middle of the night one or both need to get up and out to relieve themselves: How's that work out if the side "doors" are fixed? Exiting out the rear door would be a hassle. And exiting down through the truck bed would involve re-positioning the mattress segments. I must be missing something?
With the bed platform setup there is still a space between it and the end of the topper, 20” or 30” if I remember right. You’d be able to get down easy but would need to open the topper/tailgate to exit the truck.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
If there is a gap as you describe, what holds pillows in place? For me, after extensively using roof top tents for a dozen years, I would also like the side windows to be doors. The pickup bed will have a fridge/freeze, camping gear, etc. and not always conducive to getting in/out of bed and to the outside via the truck bed especially during the middle of the night and half wide-eyed. Never mind the slight gymnastics of turning around, down the escape hole...unlatching the topper hatch/door, etc. I also get the fact not all are enamored with using a ladder. But options are good and just my $.02.

Get up and go outside or pee in a bottle, don't see what all the fuss is about. It's gonna be easier than climbing down from the pop-top bed in a VW camper. And hopefully there fridge or cooler will be in the way as that'd make a good step to get in and out of the upper bunk.

For falling pillow issues just make an 8" x 4ft bungee net that goes across the head of the bed. This was also my biggest issue in pop-top campers and I stole the idea from another vanagon owner I met while on the road in my old syncro.

So stoked to see you guys underway and getting production units out the door. Very cool. Do you have any plans in the works for insulation for extreme temperatures? I'm the main shell body and for the pop-top fabric as well?