Van Advice: Used 4x4 vs. 2WD and conversion

rruff

Explorer
I'll look into the lower gears and locker. I'm still learning what all these components do, so the recommendation is really helpful. Another reassuring comment about 4wd! My house is up about two miles of switchbacks, so it sounds like I couldn't even use 4wd to get home.

If it's slick all the way up, 4WD is fine.

I like to camp in remote places that are technical enough that most people don't bother. If I see one other human in a week, I figure I failed... normally I could return to same spot and not see any humans for months... I lived for 13 years like this in a 2wd Toyota... no locker, not even a lift or decent tires! I beat the crap out of it, but it never broke down, or got stuck to the point where I needed help (air down for sand). I avoided both snow and mud though (easy to do if you migrate in the western US), so your use is a bit different. I'd never pay the premium on a 4WD van though. I only got it on my Tundra because it was cheap.

I don't know your situation precisely, but if you are stuck on a van... I think I'd go with a GM or E series, plus lift, low gears and locker, bigger tires. For snowy winters put on snow tires.

motovan_mn

I'll look into the lower gears and locker. I'm still learning what all these components do, so the recommendation is really helpful. Another reassuring comment about 4wd! My house is up about two miles of switchbacks, so it sounds like I couldn't even use 4wd to get home.

I found this video very informative showing the internal workings of the various popular limited slip and locking diffs.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve never had a 4wd van. I’ve got an excellent 4x4 that’ll get me much further than a full-size van will ever go. At least in these parts, a full size van might as well be a city bus for wheeling purposes.

Now that I’ve said that, I’ve had the same 4x4 since ‘91. Getting home on your switchbacks would be fine with a 4x4. If you need more than 2wd, shift into 4wd. AWD may have a slight advantage in terms of being a bit smoother and requiring less user input, but both will get you home. I’ve driven on black ice, slushy conditions, deep snow, and everything in between. If you adjust how you’re driving for the conditions you’ll do fine.

One piece of advice I always give is to take your time and carefully consider what you’re wanting in the end. If you do a 2” lift to fit a certain size of tires, and then decide you want bigger tires, you’re pouring money down the drain. Selling the used lift & tires and paying for something different will cost you at least double. So carefully weigh you options and look into a crystal ball and decide what you’re looking for at the end of the journey.

If an AWD is enough, great… if you want more then either buy a conversion or buy a decent 2wd and convert it. I would recommend putting some miles on your new van before you start pouring money into it. Decide if it’ll meet your needs long term before pouring even more into it. Especially if you’re paying someone to do the work, I’d be very surprised if you can recoup your money if you decide to sell and buy something different (at least once you start modifications). If you find an AWD or a conversion for a decent price, you can likely easily get your money back if you change your mind. The more you’re into it for, the more you have to loose, and the harder it’ll be to sell it for what you have into it. If you change course a couple times along the way… forget it… money down the drain.

BobPeanut

I got a 2014 Chevy Express AWD!

It's out in PA, and I'm flying out tomorrow morning to pick it up. Anyone have advice for a long road trip in an empty cargo van? I've done many long drives in my Honda, but that's all decked out for road trips. I've got all of my emergency stuff packed!

Willsfree

I did a fly and drive to Seattle to pick up mine in the dead of winter; 800 mile road-trip. Packed my insulated mattress, down bag, warm clothes, coffee mug, earbuds, charger etc. Make sure to get it checked out in a shop if possible. Check the transmission fluid color, differential levels, oil, air filter, brakes etc.

motovan_mn

I got a 2014 Chevy Express AWD!

It's out in PA, and I'm flying out tomorrow morning to pick it up. Anyone have advice for a long road trip in an empty cargo van? I've done many long drives in my Honda, but that's all decked out for road trips. I've got all of my emergency stuff packed!

Awesome! We need more details and photos! How far of a drive do you have ahead of you?

No advice specific to road tripping in a cargo van, other than the fact that most cargo vans aren't quite up to snuff on the creature comforts as most modern passenger vehicles. So be prepared for more road noise, maybe lack of cruise control, less comfortable seats, etc. I found that using a single cheapo earbud that seals well in my ear canal works much better for podcasts/audiobooks than trying to use any stock sound system.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Noise

warm clothes (also I case you break down)

water can

fuel can

beverages

food

One last thing…

Congratulations

FROADER

Adventurer
A 97 is a bit older than my husband would be willing to consider. Your build thread is awesome! I'm going to save it for reference. Maybe I missed it, but are you actually able to camp/sleep with MTBs in the van?
Sorry, I didn't get the notification from your reply. Honestly I've only camped once while having the MTBs with us. We set them outside locked up when we did it and we were at a secluded campground, so we weren't really worried about them. I mostly use the MTB rack inside for day trips to the local trails.

Congrats on the purchase! As a few others have said, it will be loud and sans creature comforts until you change that. (y)

I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

DbqDude

I did a fly and ride last fall for my AWD Express van as well. I couldn't believe how smooth an empty cargo van with 165k miles on it was. And over 18mpg! I'm mid build now with the 3/4 ton suburban springs and 3 inch lift just waiting to be installed.

BobPeanut

Thanks for the trip advice! Everything went well. My whole drive was about 1900 miles, but I stopped in Cincinnati for a couple days to visit family.

The biggest problem I had was wind noise on the driver's side. It looked like the trim wasn't seated right, but it could have also been flat and windy Kansas. The noise was almost gone when I got to Denver. If this is a thing that you guys have dealt with, I'd love to hear your solutions.

Work and snow removal has occupied most of my time since I got back, but this weekend is looking good to get started on some van fun. I did make a ridiculously detailed floor plan the other day. Planning is fun.

Here's my new van pic:
7fff3c47-c651-4189-8237-99e6f75a8781.jpeg

motovan_mn

That's a good looking van! Glad the drive went well. I've owned vehicles where the door was slightly bent, so I had to gently coax it into alignment to get the weather stripping to seal. And by gently coax I mean hang all my body weight on it up bend it straight.

Let's see the floor plan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne