Van Compass Ford Transit Build - 1 TON 4x4 conversion

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I think what your doing is completely ************, have been/will be following along.

I feel the tires are to big for the openings....

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I think what your doing is completely ************, have been/will be following along.

I feel the tires are to big for the openings....

I have a strong feeling that the arches will get a bit of trimming. I think with the front bumper/arch edge trimmed it will look all right. But yeah, I think 33" is a good size for the van. Its tough to sell a 4x4 conversion like this if you cant fit BIG TIREZ!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Another question ( I am not up to date on the transits). How will the stability control react to the lift? I know some of the earlier fords were a bit sensitive due to the how the stability body roll/yaw rates were calculated?

Also, does the transits trans use an output shaft sensor, or is it dependent on rear wheel speeds?

Van Compass

Observer
Another question ( I am not up to date on the transits). How will the stability control react to the lift? I know some of the earlier fords were a bit sensitive due to the how the stability body roll/yaw rates were calculated?

Also, does the transits trans use an output shaft sensor, or is it dependent on rear wheel speeds?

I never had the stability control come on while carving quickly through twisty roads with the lift kit installed. I've only had it to come on while sliding around in the snow, but I was able to power though the brakes.

We are not worried about excessive body roll with the set up. The radius arm bushings are really stiff and we plan for a spring rate bump in the front and rear of the van. Shock damping will be increased to make the van really stable.

The Transit only reads off wheel speed sensors. No transmission speed sensor to complicate things. We talked to a tech at Quigly that told us they do nothing to the computer to allow for low range to work. We will be reaching out to an engineer like yourself if we need to design something to fool the system when in 4low ;-)

Last edited:

Van Compass

Observer
Rob made the radius arm mounts today. Cut from 3/16" on our plasma table.

The mounts will weld directly to the frame. There are holes added for a future transfer case cross-member. These brackets will receive addition supports that tie further back along the Transit frame. Extra strength and better looks.

We should have these tacked in place tomorrow. On to track bar and coil buckets next. IMG_1269.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
I have a strong feeling that the arches will get a bit of trimming. I think with the front bumper/arch edge trimmed it will look all right. But yeah, I think 33" is a good size for the van. Its tough to sell a 4x4 conversion like this if you cant fit BIG TIREZ!
Moving the axle forward, as it seems it's their intention, will clear the back of the fender. Cutting the bumper and adding a fender flare to smooth the transition will make it look great. Moving axle forward will address the long snout too.

I like where this is going. Will you offer this as a DIY kit?

Last edited:

Van Compass

Observer
The exhaust and evap canister were removed to tack weld the radius arms mounts into position.
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg

Big hurdle ahead is mounting a steering box to the inside of the frame rail. The steering gear needs to tuck in between a bunch of wires, intercooler piping and the engine cross member. It is going to get interesting here. Our friend Luke at Hazzard Fabworx in Spokane had a few different steering boxes for us to try. I think the Toyota box might be the winner.

IMG_1279.jpg
30lbs of steering box in a 5lb bag
IMG_1280.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Looks like there is enough room. No hack jobs need apply!

What is the thickness of the body/frame rail material? Looks like 3/16 in some spots? Fairly meaty for a unibody.

Van Compass

Observer
Made a decision on the steering box. The box we thought was a Toyota turned out to be a Jeep WJ box.

Rob opened up the chassis to make room for the box, coil bucket and shock mount. The plan is to make a mostly bench welded bracket that keys into the frame for production. We have to create this one in smaller pieces to get all the dimensions dialed in.

IMG_1305.jpg

we had to jog the frame rail over to make room for the steering box.
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg

Van Compass

Observer
Back from Thanksgiving break. Frame is being built back up and room for the steering box is made. UPS delivered the Advance Adapters 3:1 divorced transfer case and 10" travel Fox 2.5" shocks with DSC adjusters.

IMG_1416 (Small).jpgIMG_1415 (Small).jpgIMG_1414 (Small).jpg
IMG_1412 (Small).jpgIMG_1413 (Small).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz