Van Exterior Rear Loads

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=224435&d=1399227130&thumb=1

you'll see a nice van decked out but I didn't want to clutter up the van picture thread with this question!

Not long ago I got pulled over because the cop couldn't read my plates due to a lose tarp tied on the tail gate.....ok, no big deal I fixed it and he let me go.

Question; how many here have had issues of rear hitch loaded carriers or bags or boxes blocking the plates? Not so much a local problem maybe but traveling in other states....I really don't like tickets....

Any temp mounting arrangements for your plates if you're loaded up on the rear?

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I swear I see people with hitch carriers just to block plates and no one does anything, I live on the border between Michigan and Indiana so people go from one to the other constantly and always see a RAM 1500 with an empty bed and a hitch carrier with 4 5 gallon buckets on it, so effectively no plate and no problems from anyone going by the fact he's still doing it

Mmm pie

Observer
Once I build a swing out, I'll mount my plates to the outside of the box. Add a small light and I will be in compliance, no reason for the law to hassle me.

marret

I currently have a box blocking my plate on a Wilco Offroad Hitchswing. I bought a second "vanity" plate that is a duplicate of my plate and mounted that below the box with lights. So far I've never been pulled over. I'm going to get a new bumper with a swing arm soon so I may move my actual plate after that.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think most pickups block the readability of the license plate when the tailgate (or "tail-board" as Henry would say) is in the lowered position. most cops look to people following the intent of the law unless they're right out of the academy shrimp-dicks. there, I said it!

another_mike

Adventurer
I think most pickups block the readability of the license plate when the tailgate (or "tail-board" as Henry would say) is in the lowered position. most cops look to people following the intent of the law unless they're right out of the academy shrimp-dicks. there, I said it!
The intent of the law in my area (Florida) is very specific. The plate must be readable from 100 feet. Here in southern Florida with so many tourists and the large amount of hit and runs, the law is enforced quite often.

86scotty

Cynic
I put my plate on the back of my box. I don't want to give a cop a reason to pull me over. He would probably then find a window tint violation, a radar detector he probably wouldn't like, a fridge full of beer and a smart *** driver.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A friend got nailed for an expired tag, I was riding along with him. The patrolmen have cameras that read plates as you pass by, sound an alert for wants/warrants or expired so the cop doesn't even need to pay attention! I'd bet it would sound off if it didn't find a tag from a vehicle, but i'm not sure about that.

I'm putting a carrier on the back of my van and jeep.....if anyone can show us examples of a good solution that would be great. :)

another_mike

Adventurer
A friend got nailed for an expired tag, I was riding along with him. The patrolmen have cameras that read plates as you pass by, sound an alert for wants/warrants or expired so the cop doesn't even need to pay attention! I'd bet it would sound off if it didn't find a tag from a vehicle, but i'm not sure about that.

I'm putting a carrier on the back of my van and jeep.....if anyone can show us examples of a good solution that would be great. :)

plate readers only read the plates. They are programmed to assume the state in which the officer is in. A missing plate wouldnt be acknowledged by a reader at all. If the plate is from out of state the officer would either have to manually enter the plate or find the plate that was read improperly and correct the information. Ive seen readers try to run US DOT numbers thinking they were plates, as its only looking for a series of numbers to run, but that was years ago and Ive heard software has gotten much better.

Deshet

Adventurer
I am in Virginia

Yesterday I saw a guy with Veteran Michigan Plates with the Month and Year sticker removed. You could see wear the truck had the residue from a removed Virginia Safety inspection sticker. I bet the guy has been driving the truck like that for years and people have no clue.

Another scamp here is Farm Tags and Watermen Tags. No registration required. Just install a plate.

Choff

Adventurer
I have Special GREEN BAY PACKER Plates on our Van for more than 5 years and when our friend noticed I had no back sticker on our plate, is said its been like that for years??
So I have been all over hell with this van and no ticket or cop noticed
I since then called the DMV To get a sticker
LUCKY

FlipperFla

In Fl you will definately be pulled over if they cant read your tag. You can buy or fab a extended license bracket your can mount on you cargo carrier if you have a trailer harness connector on your truck. Here is a pix of the one I made for my scooter carrier for under $2012229774-0A3C-455F-8F81-072EDB8EAEDB.jpeg60029E59-D892-4E79-8EBA-5ABB79425964.jpeg516935CC-1F5B-403E-9476-BE868C5E35F3.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles