Vanimal: 4x4 Sprinter build

Kgorman

Observer
Overall looking good. During very sunny days I am just about neutral running the fridge full time, with no sun I have about 30 hours or so..

We have found that I have some parasitic drain, we’ve ruled out just about everything except that the combiner is combining during solar charge, thus the house and starting battery are being charged, we think the starter battery is pulling quite a bit. Working on figuring that out, doing some testing.

FB771E41-7697-43B7-8A3F-CB72865652DD.png

Kgorman

Observer
Road test with new suspension complete. I’ve got some rubbing on the front sumo springs, I think I screwed up and installed them in the lower spot vs centered. I will have to switch them.

Otherwise impressive ride. Quiet, nicely dampened, way better sway control. This was just a quick drive so I don’t really know the extent of things yet, but soon we will know!

C1586562-B55C-4E16-96B4-2AACCC751192.jpeg

Kgorman

Observer
Mounted the 255/85r16 Toyo MT spare. I needed to remove the bracket towards the front and lower it in its mounting position by one hole, and even then it’s a tight fit, but doable!

Got the RBComponents cabinet mounted, still a little bit of tidying needed.

728FFB39-C7B8-4133-9655-F696FF185535.jpeg

Kgorman

Observer
Bike rack is good to go. I’ve been iterating for the last couple years on various versions. I’m trying to find one that doesn’t bounce all around, doesn’t let the bikes hit each other, and holds 4 bikes. I really want full access to the rear doors so a swing away design appeals to me - it’s also the hardest design to not have move around and bounce.

Not sure if this is going to be nirvana, but it’s the best version yet I think.

- Recon rack for 5 bikes, with the hard mount non tilting version. http://recon-racks.com/new-products/r5-5bike-shuttle-rack
- Rakattach swing away adapter (now made by 1-up). https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/
- Blue OX hit stabilizer.
- Regular hitch stabilizer for rack to swing away.

It’s about as sturdy as one could hope for I think. We will see!

D5972E18-835E-43CB-A6FC-F48667DFA37F.jpeg

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
How’s that Husky tool chest holding up? I’ve been thinking of using a large tool chest as some kind of cabinet/storage in my RV build. Or even some old file cabinets. Some have really nice welded construction and solid drawer glides. I just worry it might rattle too much?

Kgorman

Observer
Honestly, the tool chest works really well. It’s a great way to keep costs down yet still have reasonably nice and usable storage. Plus there are lots of sizes to choose from.

Kgorman

Observer
We’ve been home from our epic trip for over a month, I thought I would share some learnings..

Let’s talk bike rack. I worked my butt off trying to figure out a killer bike setup for 4 bikes. I’ve tried just about everything and I thought this version was going to be good. No it sucked. First night in NM we go off roading to our campsite and the bikes where bouncing all over the place. I was so disappointed.

The next day, after some careful contemplation over beers, a fix was had! See, the problem is a 2” hitch is a terrible way to connect anything to your vehicle. It’s probable fine if you don’t offroad. We do... a lot. The 2” interface just doesn’t provide enough surface area to be sturdy. Plus, I have a pretty heavy rack with 4 bikes, there is a lot of weight at play.

I figured I needed to use some sort of triangulation. I ended up simply using cheapo ratchet straps and attaching them to each door hinge. That hinge structure is solid! I attach the other side to each arm of the Recon rack. Then I give the rack some preload, just enough tension so the arm Is actually pulling on the straps, just a little. I also am able to tighten each side to level out the rack even if the weight isn’t evenly distributed. So the rack is straight up!

This works amazing. I can haul ass on dirt roads, taking the bumps, or even going slow over rocks and such, it’s sturdy, doesn’t move, and no noise. It’s amazingly stout.

You can open the doors part way with the straps deployed, to use the swing away simply loosen the straps, and pivot the bikes out. Then reverse to rig for travel.

I use cheapo orange straps from a Loves truck stop on our trip, but I already swapped them out for sturdy replacements - also black not orange.

Hope this helps someone else. This configuration is bomb proof!

7FE53DFE-B07B-45D6-8E74-422D02B1174A.jpeg

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
Honestly, the tool chest works really well. It’s a great way to keep costs down yet still have reasonably nice and usable storage. Plus there are lots of sizes to choose from.

Good to hear! I started a thread about tool chests/filing cabinets and there were some mixed thoughts but not a whole lot of experiences. I’m keeping an eye out for something halfway decent on Craigslist.

Kgorman

Observer
Good to hear! I started a thread about tool chests/filing cabinets and there were some mixed thoughts but not a whole lot of experiences. I’m keeping an eye out for something halfway decent on Craigslist.

There really isn’t any rattling except from stuff inside. We just use drawer liner from HD and no problems - totally quiet.

Kgorman

Observer
A bit more on the suspension mods after the trip.

First of all, the Vancompass kit is great, the install was easy, it took me a couple hours to do the front and maybe 20m to do the rear. I got the double adjustable rears because I tow as well. We got sumo spring upgrades front and rear.

The difference is dramatic, especially the side to side sway. The sumo springs come in contact way earlier than stock, and this has a very noticeable damping effect on the side to side sway. The sway happens most acutely when traversing uneven ground - ruts, rain bars, rocks and such. It’s much better now, and really helps the vehicle feel more a test home on unimproved fire roads, dirt track, General off-roading, etc. I’m not talking full on jeeping here..

On fireroads the washboard is much better, we can now carry good speeds over forest roads, and if there’s are big bumps or ruts or pot holes or whatever we can’t keep moving with confidence.

572E1CF7-2DD3-4F2B-8830-D32F8460EBC5.jpeg4EC8502E-AEC3-4027-8482-1F368E3190CA.jpeg63F79497-2021-46CA-9DD0-B647F7E92159.jpeg37A4320E-D29D-4DD2-B4B5-20582B01E4CD.jpeg110DF59D-8AEF-48A9-83F2-0FF7B7F8B32A.jpegB4327BA1-527A-4524-8E03-39415B5518AC.jpegB78BA01E-E988-4CBC-AFE8-368DA593D63B.jpeg2931D5EF-D763-4C77-9675-47CAA54873A2.jpeg

Kgorman

Observer
My family and I sat down and went over the trip and evaluated what did and didn’t work.. kids got I put as well. Here is what we are thinking of modifying next:

- not enough usb outlets
- no place to put stuff while driving, like a flat surface for drawing.
- more storage for ‘stuffing’ things like backpacks pillows stuffed animals or whatever so they aren’t all over the place.
- no good stereo.
- we loved the water spray solution in the rear, it we want a deep sink inside as well for doing dishes, washing hands and things, and filling cups, dog bowls, etc.
- it’s too crammed between the bench seat and the front, especially when we are stopped. Can we move the bench seat all the way back and still get into bed? Can we just have two seats? Can we move the tool/chest/fridge forward?
- Need a privacy curtain so we can outside shower.
- more water capacity, 10 gallons went quick.
- the pop up canopy works great, but one mounted on the roof would be awesome.
- rear facing and side facing outdoor lights
- more hp/torque (ok that was me...)

Kgorman

Observer
Lastly, I did look at an Earthroamer. Wow amazing rigs. But at this time Vanimal fits our families needs better. It’s just too heavy of a rig, we want to stay light nimble, and we don’t need all that fancy stuff. At least for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior