VanKrishna: Operation K.I.S.S.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Swapping Door Panels

Does anyone have experience with upgrading an older door panel 2003 to the newer style 2008 and up, without doing anything to the dash, is it necessary to? My panels are fine but the functionality and the look of the new style is appealing but do not want to try and do the entire dash, it crossed my mind but it seems that it would be a HUUUUUUUGE PIA for minimal gain. I did see a video over on the SMB forum of a guy building a box van putting newer interior in an older cab but did not see if he had to do anything to the dash. TIA!!!

Attachments

• 2010DP.jpg
    2010DP.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2010DPD.jpg
    2010DPD.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 27

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thank you JYDog for responding to your youtube video!! The answer according to him is "no modification to the dash is necessary". So as I waffle on whether to sell the beast, I will be ticking away at upgrades and finishing the simple interior finish.

Last edited:

Skyl330

I gave it a shot as I came across some of the newer style door panels. Easy enough to pop the door panels on, the trouble you run into is the power window and door wiring. It is not the same and I am no expert but I couldn't figure out how it could be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up, I will look to find pigtails that I can cut and splice when I pull the new panels.

jydog

Thanks for the shoutout Jb1rd. That is where I am currently stuck going from a cutaway that never had power windows the wiring does not exist in the dash so I will
have to swap out the dash harness for one that does or custom build a harness. Not on my priority list right now but I will eventually get to it.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Absolutely, your build is quite impressive, love the curved cabinet and the frosted doors! I am lucky in that I already have power windows, doors and mirrors, hopefully I can just cut the pigtails or buy them and swap them out. It is always something :)
Thanks for the shoutout Jb1rd. That is where I am currently stuck going from a cutaway that never had power windows the wiring does not exist in the dash so I will
have to swap out the dash harness for one that does or custom build a harness. Not on my priority list right now but I will eventually get to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier