Vario fuel tank

I've been deliberating over what to do about the fuel capacity or lack there of with my 814d 4x4. Is there an easy option to replace the stock 70litre tank? I was hoping to find a 120l one that would fit where the original one is but I've not had any luck finding a good match. The other option might be to remove the spare wheel cradle but presumably there are no off the shelf tanks that will fit the odd shape there? Is the only really viable thing to have a custom tank made? If so has anyone done this with good results?

Hi Gretar
I have a mwb van with sliding door and sliding side step underneath on the opposite side unfortunately. I was hoping there would be a single tank route ideally. Adding an aux tank like you have suggested would probably be the easiest plan B option though.. :)

Last edited:

Ullie

Adventurer
We made a new Aluminium tank with a capacity of 225 litres. But ours is not a kastenwagen.

11154820_10206490908850815_6511041761861415168_o.jpg

That looks very tidy! 225L would be the ideal size for the van, I intend to use diesel only appliances but the only place one that size could go would be under the rear sleeping area.

Has anyone mounted one where the spare wheel cradle is? If so what size can you squeeze in? I think John speed put an aux tank there but I can't seem to find capacity and dimensions plus ideally I'd stick with a single tank system..

I will be adding a raised seating area inside the van above where the existing diesel tank sits. I was going to house a 400l fresh water tank under here but this has got me thinking about utilising the space for a diesel tank also. I would be happy enough with 250 litres of water and an additional diesel tank of 150litres next to it. I could then use gravity feed the existing tank underneath presumably? Does anyone know if it is safe or advisable to have an internal mounted diesel tank in a living area or would this just be a no go?

I've just looked up the auxiliary tank bit in Travel Vans, it was a 230Litre job where the spare wheel cradle is normally. Has anyone done this or similar?
Thanks

Toby W

Hi Ben,

The John Speed tank design is fairly simple but sits below the chassis, compromising the potential departure angle improvement you could make by removing (or hinging) the rear under-run bar. Though this may not matter depending on what terrain you choose to tackle...

Puts a fair bit of weight behind the axle too.

OTOH you definitely wouldn't want even the slightest leak of diesel or fumes inside!

All the best,
Toby

Hi Toby,

Good to see you on here! How are you getting on with the van? Have you started any of the jobs you mentioned?

Ideally the tank would fit between the chassis rails and be angled to avoid any knocks on the rough stuff. If I could squeeze close to 230L out of it I would do away with the original tank and use that space for a waste water tank. I take your point about fumes, I don't fancy that!

Best,
Ben

part time nomad

Adventurer
Does anyone know if it is safe or advisable to have an internal mounted diesel tank in a living area or would this just be a no go?

Its not something that I would want to do, Legally, the fuel system must not be able to access the passenger compartment, it must have a separate compartment, as a commercial vehicle mechanic I know how the smell from the smallest splash of diesel can lingure.

I used a plastic fuel tank from a Mercedes 814d truck its 125L and also mounted a 90 L tank (from a Land Rover) between the chassis rails that pumps in to the main tank, you would have to measure up to see if this wound fit in a panel van.

I still have the original tank around, if that would help.

Like you say if the tank is sealed off from the living area, filled from outside and boxed in it completely it might be ok? If it was above the old tank I was wondering if it could gravity feed into the old one through the floor...?

Really I just want a single tank solution and am aiming towards a custom tank of about 200L where the spare wheel sits as the best option...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior