Vehicle research: RAM 1500 info sought....

Dalko43

Explorer
I towed our Jeep 3,300 miles through every type of terrain and averaged about 12 MPG. My 1500 with the 5.7 averaged about 9 towing the same Jeep on the reverse of that trip (West to East). I just got my best tank (unloaded) making a run out to Vegas recently and that averaged 16.1 MPG. People love criticizing the mileage, but show me a LC100 or similar do better once you have it rigged for off-road.

I wasn't criticizing the fuel economy, but it is what it is. We can caveat that with exceptions for modifications and towing, ect., but comparing stock to stock, the 6.4l 2500 has lower fuel economy compared to others....that's all I'm saying.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
People love criticizing the mileage, but show me a LC100 or similar do better once you have it rigged for off-road.

I see where you're coming from and I guess I didn't make my point clearly: I love the "cool factor" of the PW, the lockers, the sway bar disconnects, the winch, etc.

But if I'm 100% honest with myself I don't NEED any of those things.

I don't mind paying an MPG penalty for something I need (like a full size truck with a V8) because I'm willing to make that tradeoff. I'm more reluctant to take an MPG penalty for something that I'm not sure I need. That (and the additional cost of the PW) are reasons I'm thinking non-PW 2500 with the 5.7 might be a better option for me.

I don't know when the "generational break" of the Ram's was, but it seems like there are a couple of 2011 - 2012 PW's that fall into my price range (sub - $33k) but once you get to 2013 the prices jump dramatically into the $40k area which is way more than I want to spend.

So if I were to go this route (and I'm still very early in the research for my next vehicle) my dilemma would be an older (pre-2013) PW vs. a newer (say 2016 or even 2017) non-PW 2500.

ChinaLakePW

My comments about fuel economy (or lack there of) were not pointed at anyone in particular. Moving that much mass definitely comes with a penalty.

The newest 1500 has become a very attraction option. Especially with the available rear locker.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The lowest price I could get on a PW was $55,000. I'd consider building one off of a base Ram or Ford.

That's $17,000 more than my out the door cost.
-Front locker and 4.88 gears $3000
-37" Cooper STT Pros on Raceline Defender 18x9 +18mm wheels, $2300
-BDS 4" radius arm lift $1700
-King 2.5 w/comp adjuster RR's $2000

Is only $9000, and better IMO.

Want the frivolous stuff as well?:
-Katskin leather $3000 tops, installed
-Warn winch $1000
-Warn winch bumper $1000
-Deavers $1500
-King hydro bumps $1000

I notice the same phenomena with the GM ZR2. It might be better to build one. I'd never buy one used. They get beat on like Raptors do. Especially since lightly used Rams/Super Duties are a dime a dozen everywhere. I'd rather do the wrench time.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
power wagons have dismal payload compared to normal 2500s...

That's because they are designed to do different things than a regular 2500. You can boost the effective payload with Carli springs, but then you lose a lot of the PW's flex. If all you want is payload, buy a different truck.

tinbasher

Observer
power wagons have dismal payload compared to normal 2500s...

just something to think about.

I think its funny, the guy asks about a 1500 ram to commute with, do some light towing/light off roading and it turns into "get a power wagon"

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Or get a ZR2, or get a Raptor, or get a Rubicon, or get an overpriced off road package that isn't as good as hand picked aftermarket parts.

It used to be that those packages were often cheaper than building them yourself. But today, none of them are available without 3 thousand dollar leather seats, electric doo-dads, thousand dollar sticker packages, butt massages, and nearly every other bling frivolity offered.

So even having to buy wheels, shocks, and what not, twice, it's still cheaper to build from a mid-grade truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It used to be that those packages were often cheaper than building them yourself. But today, none of them are available without 3 thousand dollar leather seats, electric doo-dads, thousand dollar sticker packages, butt massages, and nearly every other bling frivolity offered.

So even having to buy wheels, shocks, and what not, twice, it's still cheaper to build from a mid-grade truck.

And also there's the fact that when you buy the "package" you get everything in the package - whether you need it or not. For example, I could see the utility of a rear E-locker. But I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why I would need a front locker. Ditto for sway bar disconnects - as cool as they are I can be 100% confident that I will never need them. Winch is another "cool-to-have-but-do-I-really-need-it?" type of thing.

And although this is not a 'deal breaker' I have to say I really HATE the "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!!!!" graphics on the newer PWs. :rolleyes:

From what I've seen on the used market the delta between the price of a PW and an equivalent non-PW 2500 is $8k - $10k, minimum. So for the same price I can either get a much older, higher mileage PW, or a newer, lower mileage non-PW. While I'm still on the fence regarding the 2500 - vs - 1500 issue, I'm pretty sure that I can rule out the PW.

It's a great concept, and I'm glad that ChryCo has decided to offer something unique in the market (as Ford has done with the Raptor) but for my uses, the limited utility of the options and high cost difference have to outweigh the "cool factor."

ttengineer

Adventurer
The graphics, like the raptors, are removable seeing as how they are just vinyl stickers.

And yes they are hideous.

But the PW has been an option since the '40s. Long before Ford ever dreamed of the raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChinaLakePW

The Tradesman can still be ordered with the Power Wagon package. I believe the whole deal is about $47K. I wanted leather, and I was a big fan of Simon and Simon, so that is not the route I went. I realize you can add everything aftermarket, but I have the lifetime warranty for everything that came on the Power Wagon. That might not matter to some, it does for me.

The funny thing is I really wanted to down-size from a 1/2 ton to the ZR2 or even a Tacoma, but the towing capacity just wasn't there. The wife actually talked me into going bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior