Vehicle research: RAM 1500 info sought....

ttengineer

Adventurer
As for Nissan, I personally think they are junk. Their other cars are great, specifically the motor and tranny, but how many old titans do you see driving around? I rarely if ever see one anymore. When I test drive one before I got my 1500 I couldn't stand it. It rode like crap. It also has the worst fuel economy out of any full size on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These anecdotal 'you don't see x brand on the road anymore' is such a waste of everyone's time.

The reason there are fewer Nissan trucks on the road isn't because they are junk. It's because Nissan never got a huge market share in any of the truck markets. For the longest time, Toyota has dominated the mid-sized market while the big 3 (Ford, GM, Ram) have dominated the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton markets.

You don't see many Tundra's on the road compared to F-150's and Silverado's....does that mean the Tundra is junk as well?

I see Tundras, F150, GM, Tacomas, and Rams all the time. The new Nissan Titan XD is popping up more often now too.

When I was in college, '02-'08, Titans were everywhere. Now the only ones I see are new. I'm in Atlanta where a huge construction boom is happening. We're talking 30+ tower cranes in buckhead, midtown, and downtown alone. Therefore, you see a ton of trucks, new and used. Nissan is rarely one of those trucks, and if you do see it, it's a new one.

Dalko43

Explorer
I see Tundras, F150, GM, Tacomas, and Rams all the time. The new Nissan Titan XD is popping up more often now too.

When I was in college, '02-'08, Titans were everywhere. Now the only ones I see are new. I'm in Atlanta where a huge construction boom is happening. We're talking 30+ tower cranes in buckhead, midtown, and downtown alone. Therefore, you see a ton of trucks, new and used. Nissan is rarely one of those trucks, and if you do see it, it's a new one.

In my area, Tundra's are rare compared to the domestic brands. I know that a lot of people drive Tundra's, but I'm just pointing out the flaw in your logic.

Just because you don't see a lot of a certain brand, doesn't mean the brand is "junk." The old Titan, though it didn't sell as well as the Tundra (which in turn didn't sell as well as the domestics), is a decent truck IMHO. The newer Titan is very well built and its sales have jumped quite a bit over the last year.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
A Power Wagon will give OP everything he wants, and more. Used ones are pretty reasonable. Only downside is gas mileage.

Re keeping the new(er) truck for more than three years, my Power Wagon is going on 13 years with no significant problems other than usual stuff like exhaust studs and ball joints. If I had to replace it, I'd get another one. Nothing from GM or Ford compares.

Re Titans, a friend drove a 2WD Titan for years, and replaced it with a 3G Ram 1500 2WD. He's much happier with the Ram.

Laps

Look seriously at the 2019 RAM Rebel. I have a 2017 and love it so far, having owned a 2002 Dodge 2500 and a 2012 RAM 3500, both with the Cummins.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A Power Wagon will give OP everything he wants, and more. Used ones are pretty reasonable. Only downside is gas mileage.

Re keeping the new(er) truck for more than three years, my Power Wagon is going on 13 years with no significant problems other than usual stuff like exhaust studs and ball joints. If I had to replace it, I'd get another one. Nothing from GM or Ford compares.

Re Titans, a friend drove a 2WD Titan for years, and replaced it with a 3G Ram 1500 2WD. He's much happier with the Ram.

So here's an intriguing thought: I had been concentrating all my research on the 1500 because I assumed I didn't need/want anything bigger than a half ton, but was surprised to find that used Power Wagons of the 2012 - 2014 vintage are in my price range and many of them have low miles (under 50k.)

You mentioned an MPG penalty with the PW. What kind of MPG are you seeing with yours? And what is the gas tank size? I assume that with solid axles front and rear, lockers and sway bar disconnects, it's pretty capable off road?

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
I have a 2016 RAM-5.7l HEMI/8spd auto/2wd/AWD/4hi/4lo--3.92 gears/w LSD rear
Mileage between 17-99 avg 21/70mph-
The 8spd has "MANUAL" GEAR CONTROL OPTION and will use "ENGINE BRAKING" on hills/w fuel cutoff-
This is my 7th Dodge pickup and by far--the best--most power/best mileage/most comfy ride-

Good luck

Attachments

• SUNP0109.JPG
    SUNP0109.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 22
  • SUNP0103 (1).JPG
    SUNP0103 (1).JPG
    873.7 KB · Views: 22

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You mentioned an MPG penalty with the PW. What kind of MPG are you seeing with yours? And what is the gas tank size? I assume that with solid axles front and rear, lockers and sway bar disconnects, it's pretty capable off road?

It is, by far, the most capable full size off road truck you can buy, period. Gas tank size is 34gal or 35gal, depending on which set of specs you read, but that may have changed since I bought mine. Mine is a 2005 Quad Cab short bed. Life-to-date fuel mileage is about 10mpg, BUT...
My 3G has 4.56 gears, and the newer PWs have other options, including 4.10s (which I would prefer). Mine is running 35" Toyos, which are big and heavy. Mine has lots of stuff on it that weighs it down, including triple batteries, 12CFM OBA, two big tool boxes (always full), fiberglass shell, roof rack to spoil the splendid aerodynamics, 250 pounds of water and tanks, big Hi-Lift, refrigerator, etc. Travel weight is around 8500 pounds, and that kills mileage. Plus, mine has a 3-speed auto with OD vs the newer ones with 8-speed or whatever they are using now. Don't know if the newer PWs come with cylinder deactivation, but I don't have that, either. The first of the 3G PWs were/are the best IMO, but the newer ones are more spacious, more comfortable, more economical. Guys are claiming 17mpg on their current 4G PWs, which also have more power than mine and are faster.

So here's an intriguing thought: I had been concentrating all my research on the 1500 because I assumed I didn't need/want anything bigger than a half ton

Physically, the Ram 1500 is the same size as the 2500, but the PW is a little taller than the others. My PW is extremely comfortable for long trips, great seats and smooth ride. I ran stock suspension for almost ten years, then upgraded to a Thuren/Carli combo and it's even better now.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

It is, by far, the most capable full size off road truck you can buy, period. Gas tank size is 34gal or 35gal, depending on which set of specs you read, but that may have changed since I bought mine. Mine is a 2005 Quad Cab short bed. Life-to-date fuel mileage is about 10mpg, BUT...
My 3G has 4.56 gears, and the newer PWs have other options, including 4.10s (which I would prefer). Mine is running 35" Toyos, which are big and heavy. Mine has lots of stuff on it that weighs it down, including triple batteries, 12CFM OBA, two big tool boxes (always full), fiberglass shell, roof rack to spoil the splendid aerodynamics, 250 pounds of water and tanks, big Hi-Lift, refrigerator, etc. Travel weight is around 8500 pounds, and that kills mileage. Plus, mine has a 3-speed auto with OD vs the newer ones with 8-speed or whatever they are using now. Don't know if the newer PWs come with cylinder deactivation, but I don't have that, either. The first of the 3G PWs were/are the best IMO, but the newer ones are more spacious, more comfortable, more economical. Guys are claiming 17mpg on their current 4G PWs, which also have more power than mine and are faster.

So here's an intriguing thought: I had been concentrating all my research on the 1500 because I assumed I didn't need/want anything bigger than a half ton

Physically, the Ram 1500 is the same size as the 2500, but the PW is a little taller than the others. My PW is extremely comfortable for long trips, great seats and smooth ride. I ran stock suspension for almost ten years, then upgraded to a Thuren/Carli combo and it's even better now.

How does the SFA do on washboard roads? I know on my previous SFA axles, washboard was their Achilles heel. Of course, all my SFA vehicles also had leaf springs all around (my last SFA was a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ witht he 2.5 4 cyl and the one before that was a 1985 Toyota Hilux with the 22r carbureted engine.)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Mine has always been fine on washboard roads, but I tend to speed up on washboard to "float" the truck a little. Points of comparison are a GMC K1500 and a second generation Tundra. PW is about the same as the GMC and better than the Tundra.

Montaska

I love my RAM 1500, it has the towing package and 32 gallon tank. I'm going to keep it forever but I really think you get more bang for your buck with the 2500.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Any owners of newer (2012+) Power Wagons on here? I'm starting to think this might be my answer.

At times I even thought that maybe when I was getting my Suburban I should have held out for a 2500 model with the 6.0 engine.

Seems like overkill for a "small" 3500lb trailer but if there's one thing I've learned in 5+ years of pulling a travel trailer across the country, it's that it's rare for anybody to ever say "I wish I had a smaller (or less powerful) tow vehicle." Oh, they might complain when they're shelling out $90+ at the gas pump, but when towing (especially in high winds), size matters.

Might have to test drive them back-to-back with the half tons for comparison purposes. Seems like I can find lightly used 3- 5 MY old models in the 30k - 33k range fairly easily, which is as high as I'm comfortable going.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Still doing my research and having difficulty figuring out the differences between Power Wagon 2500's and non-PW models.

And yes I know there are the obvious differences - the sway bar disconnects, the locking differentials front and rear and the winch.

But other than those three things, what else does the PW feature that the "vanilla" 2500 doesn't? I assume it has some kind of upgraded suspension and maybe different wheels, but anything else?

Reason I'm asking is because there seems to be a big difference in price between the later model (2015 and up) PW vs. non PW 2500. Also every PW I see after about 2014 has the 6.4 Hemi and I'd honestly prefer the 5.7.

I'm just thinking that if I could live without locking diffs, sway bar disconnects and a winch (and I could, since apart from an E-locker on my 1999 4runner, I've never had ANY of those things) I could save a few $$ by going with the "vanilla" 2500 as opposed to holding out for the rarer PW (though the PW is gorgeous, I have to admit!)

Dalko43

Explorer
The big features (by that I mean hard to replicate on the aftermarket) that the PW has over vanilla 2500 are:
  • articulink front suspension (allows for more articulation out of the front radius arms),
  • disconnecting sway bars (allows for more axle articulation),
  • front and rear e-lockers. Yes you can get ARB's for the 2500, but that requires drilling into the differential housing and running air lines to a compressor and stock 2500's only have an optional limited slip.
  • and the skid plates and rails. The plates and rails can easily be acquired on Ram's site, but the kit requires a frame cross member which is exclusive to the PW and cannot be used on a regular 2500 without drilling into the frame.
If you want one or all of those features, you should get the PW. PW also has a slight lift with a more compliant ride and a winch, but you can easily outfit a vanilla 2500 with those features via the aftermarket.

In regards to engines: I've driven the 6.4l Hemi and I've talked to a few owners who've driven both the 5.7l and the 6.4l. The nearly universal consensus is that the 6.4l is the better engine choice for the 2500. You're not sacrificing much, if any, fuel efficiency, since the 5.7l has to work a bit harder to move all that mass. And the 6.4l just seems to do a better job of powering that vehicle. I wouldn't pick a 5.7l in lieu of a 6.4l in the hopes of getting better fuel economy; your monthly fuel bill is going to be high, regardless of which engine you choose.

Last edited:

ChinaLakePW

Get the 6.4 and don't look back. Nothing wrong with the 5.7, but the 6.4 is better.

Agreed on the 6.4.

I had a 2004 1500 with the 5.7 and "off-road" package. The first four-wheeled vehicle I ever purchased new. The wife and I decided last year we were going to keep it forever. The truck had very few issues in the 12+ years we owned it. Two weeks after we made that decision someone ran a red light and totaled it for us.

When I was on deployment, I ordered a 2018 Power Wagon to replace it. The first, and likely only, vehicle I have ever ordered (although I enjoy having it with exactly what I want, and nothing that I don't). I ordered it with the lifetime warranty, RAMBOXes, dual atlernators, and leather. I plan on keeping it for the long haul.

I towed our Jeep 3,300 miles through every type of terrain and averaged about 12 MPG. My 1500 with the 5.7 averaged about 9 towing the same Jeep on the reverse of that trip (West to East). I just got my best tank (unloaded) making a run out to Vegas recently and that averaged 16.1 MPG. People love criticizing the mileage, but show me a LC100 or similar do better once you have it rigged for off-road.

I wanted the lockers and suspension goodness, and I wanted it with a factory warranty. So far, it has proven to be confidence expiring off-road in the desert. I am still pretty gunshy about pin-striping a truck that cost this much.

Attachments

• TPIYBJLFQi6wY5sPMHkJOw.jpg
    TPIYBJLFQi6wY5sPMHkJOw.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior