Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense Weirdness

OllieChristopher

I came out to my truck to monitor my dual battery install the other day and found the blue tooth battery sense showing a whopping 60 volts!! I knew right away it was some kind of glitch.

I tried every possible way to fix it. I reset the pin, rebooted it, then finally removed it from power for a hard reboot. At that point it would not even power back up.

I ended up sending it back and will run without it. Only reason I got it was because all the reviews and feedback on forums were saying the Victrons Smart Charge Controllers range was poor.

My 75/15 charge controller has about a 20-30 foot range and has not been an issue. I also figure since it's under the hood of my truck right next to battery I'll not be needing a separate monitor for battery temperature readings. I proved this by checking the battery temperature/voltage on each device before connecting them to the VE. Smart Networking (before the Battery Sense bit the dust).

My recommendation for anyone who is considering the "Smart Battery Sense" is to forget about it if your charge controller is already close to the battery bank.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Bummer about your experience but FWIW I have not experienced any issues with the Smart Battery Sense I've been using in my set-up the past 18-months.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have 6 of them - 4 are blue, 2 are black. The black ones are flakey with crap range. The blue ones work much better - great range, reliable operation.

It was too late to send the black ones back...Could be older or counterfeit...All were ordered at the same time from Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OllieChristopher

Mine was blue and ordered directly from Victron. The reality is it's not needed anyway as my charge controller is right next to my battery. It sure was odd to see that voltage.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a blue one that is stuck right to the side of the battery, about 3’ from my 100/30 Smart controller, no issues here, I just ordered another for the truck battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dstock

Explorer
I came out to my truck to monitor my dual battery install the other day and found the blue tooth battery sense showing a whopping 60 volts!! I knew right away it was some kind of glitch.

I tried every possible way to fix it. I reset the pin, rebooted it, then finally removed it from power for a hard reboot. At that point it would not even power back up.

I ended up sending it back and will run without it. Only reason I got it was because all the reviews and feedback on forums were saying the Victrons Smart Charge Controllers range was poor.

My 75/15 charge controller has about a 20-30 foot range and has not been an issue. I also figure since it's under the hood of my truck right next to battery I'll not be needing a separate monitor for battery temperature readings. I proved this by checking the battery temperature/voltage on each device before connecting them to the VE. Smart Networking (before the Battery Sense bit the dust).

My recommendation for anyone who is considering the "Smart Battery Sense" is to forget about it if your charge controller is already close to the battery bank.

I'm actually surprised you have the the 75/15 charge controller under the hood, I thought they were not rated for under hood temps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online