Volant / Donaldson Powercore Filter - 2010 JKU with Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Okay. I reinstalled the stock airbox/filter and ran a quick test of the stock airbox/filter + Rugged Ridge XHD snorkel combination to see how restrictive it is compared to using a Volant-Donaldson Powercore filter. The result is...

The restriction was measured using the same inline Wix filter minder as before and was a hair less than 15 inches of water column. This result was recorded for a full throttle run up Boundary Rd @ a grade of 17%. This is essentially the same result under the same general conditions as the reading for the Powercore. The Powercore essentially flows with the same restriction as the stock setup but in a much smaller package. Works for me.

Here are a couple photos of the stock setup:

fc14879873af3c1adab7a91efae54554.jpg

408b47c5f8a374034d4e4915ebb23555.jpg

By no means was this a controlled test but it tells me that the Powercore filter is not significantly more restrictive compared to the stock airbox/filter.

Now on to using that freed up space.

Last edited:

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Thanks.

Now I'm curious how much restriction the snorkel is contributing. The last couple tests I might run:

1) re-installing the stock bottom half of the air cleaner box (i.e. bypassing the snorkel) to see the relative effect that the snorkel has on restriction; and

2) remove the stock air cleaner box and run with the Powercore filter (also bypassing the snorkel).

Stay tuned.

toddz69

Explorer
Any updates for this mod? I'm considering using this filter on a project and this link is the only one I can find online regarding its performance. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior