Wait, do I actually want a van? How about a travel trailer?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Here's my take on the matter. It depends on where you travel. Do you stay on good, well maintained roads? Then a travel trailer may work well for you and as others have said, you park the trailer and use your tow vehicle to get around. If you travel on more primitive roads, stay away from pulling trailers. Too often I've come across deep washouts, giant boulders on the roadway, etc. that block forward progress...and having a trailer behind you, backing up to turn around somewhere can be a bummer. Been there, done that. Why I went with a 4x4 van. I still tow a side by side on occasion but I make sure I don't take the trailer onto a road I may not be able to turn around on.

CaptainBuilt

l9e5Iak.jpg

kga1978

Thanks everybody for all the insights - based on the feedback and to answer my own question, it does sound like I want a van ;).

I'm new to all of this, so hadn't actually looked too closely into weight - other than, "hey, it's below the towing capacity of the hemi, so (y), right?". Guess not - holy moly that MDC trailer I had my eyes on is porky compared to other offerings. Forest River has a new "No Boundaries" line, which is supposedly more off-road oriented than the GeoPros, but with similar weight. Reasonably priced, but boy do I hate the choice of material - I guess I could get busy replacing all the covers though, so that'd give me something to do. That said, though, the things that are being highlighted here - everything in one space, moving from place to place (which is what we do - we don't camp around for days), easy setup, ability to back up, etc., are exactly the key things we're after. A van will probably hit all those points better, so I think we'll continue to go down that route - but it is an expensive toy to have sitting around when not in use. I guess I could use it as a new office...

I love the idea of a built-out 4x4 custom van similar to @CaptainBuilt's photo, but it seems too complex at this stage. Maybe an earlier E series later down the road once we have tried the whole van thingie...

billiebob

I love the idea of a built-out 4x4 custom van similar to @CaptainBuilt's photo, but it seems too complex at this stage.
4WD is not a neccessity.... A well built 2WD with clearance and a locker can go anywhere.
Consider a used fully built unit.

This one was for sale a while back.
Built for BAJA the owner has thousands of miles in Mexico and camping on beaches.
He liked the 2WD for the much better ride of a lifted 2WD independent front suspension.
50930298422_84f43301f3_h.jpg

51019643806_83c9c8723d_h.jpeg

Last edited:

motovan_mn

Thanks everybody for all the insights - based on the feedback and to answer my own question, it does sound like I want a van ;).

I'm new to all of this, so hadn't actually looked too closely into weight - other than, "hey, it's below the towing capacity of the hemi, so (y), right?". Guess not - holy moly that MDC trailer I had my eyes on is porky compared to other offerings. Forest River has a new "No Boundaries" line, which is supposedly more off-road oriented than the GeoPros, but with similar weight. Reasonably priced, but boy do I hate the choice of material - I guess I could get busy replacing all the covers though, so that'd give me something to do. That said, though, the things that are being highlighted here - everything in one space, moving from place to place (which is what we do - we don't camp around for days), easy setup, ability to back up, etc., are exactly the key things we're after. A van will probably hit all those points better, so I think we'll continue to go down that route - but it is an expensive toy to have sitting around when not in use. I guess I could use it as a new office...

I love the idea of a built-out 4x4 custom van similar to @CaptainBuilt's photo, but it seems too complex at this stage. Maybe an earlier E series later down the road once we have tried the whole van thingie...

Van is the way! I may be biased, however.

Don't believe you ever mentioned a budget - start with that and we can start suggesting the various ways to part with your money!

foeix

The prices of new Sprinters give me heartburn - as well as the build quality snafus from the SC plant. Personally, a used 4x4 German-built Sprinter at a reasonable price would be much more tolerable. I'd encourage you to seek out a lower mileage 17-18 NCV3 4x4 from an area where they don't command insane marks ups - like the south. I think there are a lot of pros to the NCV3 vs the VS30 - and serviceability and modifications are easier.

A few things that I like much better on the NCV3:
  • Proper shift lever
  • Instrument clarity and presentation
  • Cruise control stalk
  • Rear door hinge implementation - 270/90
  • Rubber floor covering over the wood floor in Crew
  • Seat material with a hybrid of cloth and MBTex
  • Gray interior trim
  • Front end aesthetics
  • Full assembly in Germany for Crew / Passenger models
  • Arrow side body line - an omage to the orignal T1
  • Ability to fit larger tires vs VS30
  • Lack of passenger belt minder
  • Much easier to code

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’ve seen some nice built Transits for reasonable $ recently all private sale and pretty much sold a day or two after listed.
Any fair deal goes fast. Any crap deal lingers. Just fyi

Alloy

4WD is not a neccessity.... A well built 2WD with clearance and a locker can go anywhere.
Consider a used fully built unit.

I don't agree. I've stopped many many times on gravel/mud/snow/sand to engage 4x4 so the front (steering) wheels don't go where the back wheels push them.

skyfree

I've been through many iterations myself and my current setup works best and is relatively inexpensive. As others have said, going off-road with a 6,000 lb trailer is not really practical IMHO. But trailers are very comfortable and practical if you are just doing graded dirt roads and want to get slightly off the beaten path.

We spent $23K on the new Escape trailer (in 2017 -- they are more now). The OVRLND popup camper was $10K. Add another $6k for truck suspension mods and the cost to build out the interior of the truck camper and lets call it $40K. Of course add the cost of a truck if you don't have one already but you will likely just replacing an SUV rather than getting a dedicated trip vehicle.

My wife is willing to spend up to 3 nights in the truck camper, and about 9 nights in the trailer. We can tow the trailer to basecamp and then go off road in the truck to explore. My solo trips in the truck camper have gone multiple weeks. The trailer can be used for winter camping although that's not my cup of tea.

I hope this doesn't offend the Van folks. I like 4x4 sprinters but have seen people I know dealing with endless sensor failures at the absolute worst times. Even a used one fully built will run well over $100K.

I wouldn't spend $70K on an off-road trailer until you have some level of experience towing something heavy! You may be upgrading your tow vehicle shortly after that first trip, or selling the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

dhally

Hammerhead
We have tried everything too. Here's how I look at it: if you know where you're going, the trailer works. It sucks for exploring since you never know if there's a turnaround.

But already owning the jeep and tent might make a box trailer practical. Sleep in the tent, put the portapottie and lounge chairs in the trailer. Plus haul toys.

iggi

Ian
I'd been second guessing my decision on going with a van over a trailer. Just got back from a 1 week, 1100 mile trip. It really confirmed that van was the way to go.
Here's one of the camping spots I found that was easy in the van but would have been just about impossible with a trailer of any size.

My biggest previous complaint was the setup/teardown time when I was moving camp each day. Now with better storage and a full time bed setup breaking camp is usually just a process of putting my coffee cup away and locking the cabinet doors.

7D4EFA0B-3BAD-4157-B5B3-E84A1D62D4E7.JPG44F71C59-263D-4F06-99BB-D5F3B9825F0C.JPG

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I find it interesting that I continue to see the more & more "Seasoned" explorer/travelers going SMALL versus BIG which in the past was downright Un American!

The increasing amount of crowds looking to git away, the new rules being imposed by National/State parks/BLM, the deteriorated condition of many popular trails, the reduced size of many campground sites public and private, the cost of fuel, the cost of rigs/trailers, parking issues with your BIG rig/trailer at home (HOA) and looking for parking in town when traveling, less time travel due to more work load and the cost of travel in general will continue to make "Smaller" better. It's all about accepting "Change"!

Ironically the ones I see embracing this change first are the seasoned off-roader/Overlander do in many parts to their desire/need to git farther away from the unwashed masses and "Small" allows them to do this so much easier in so many different ways!

I know this "Smaller" trend is something I have embraced in all aspects of my life in the last 5 years. All that BIG CRAP that was so important to me in my 40's looking back is now laughable to me in my 60's. What the Hell was I thinking?

Age and Experience is a wonderful teacher in oh so many ways!

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd been second guessing my decision on going with a van over a trailer. Just got back from a 1 week, 1100 mile trip. It really confirmed that van was the way to go.
Here's one of the camping spots I found that was easy in the van but would have been just about impossible with a trailer of any size.

My biggest previous complaint was the setup/teardown time when I was moving camp each day. Now with better storage and a full time bed setup breaking camp is usually just a process of putting my coffee cup away and locking the cabinet doors.

View attachment 723552View attachment 723553

X2

I’ve gone camping a handful of times with my sons school class. There were several 30’ trailers in the group. Where it took me 15 minutes to pack away the bbq and to be ready to go, and it took them a couple hours to pack up their portable kitchens, patio sets, and all the other hoopla they had.

In a 21’ ambulance I could park just about anywhere… whereas they practically needed half a football field to turn around, back up, realign, and get into position. Their trailers also needed to be levelled for the fridge to work… mine is fine up to a 30* slope. Finding an area 138” long that’s less than a 30* slope has never been a problem for me. If it ever happens, I’ll have to get creative piling rocks or use the jack or something.

Jim455

i found your profile because i am looking at going the opposite direction, from a 2500 diesel and a 26' imagine camper down to an option without a trailer, and i saw your cool GC mattress.

Travel trailers are great for base camping for a week or two in a campground. they are stressful to tow long distances with tons of wind, harder to break, etc. if you are serious about a trailer, you will eventually find yourself driving a large diesel truck for safety. this puts you at 50' long on the road, or longer.

it seems like a van is a good option for more room to extend trips, or you can extend by sometimes renting KOA camper cabins and what not. We are looking at possibly downgrading to just a trailhawk 4xe for places like moab, and colorado has a lot of bumpy as hell washboard dirt roads. we would have to supplement our small setup with cabins and such, but colorado is nice for one or two days at a place and then move on 2-3 hours to the next spot, it's not as ideal for basecamping.

if you find yourself on a lot of dirt roads, or at a lot of smaller destinations that you move every few days, you will not enjoy all the work that comes with wet camping (plumbing) and towing a camper, winterizing it, sanitizing the water lines, etc. etc. it's perfect for fulltiming and basecamping. I hope this helps.

JamesReddish

My current ideal set up is a vehicle that fits the equipment I want for that day or possibly a small overnighter (a small van at the minute in my case) but towing a trailer just big enough to be my base camp for a week or 2 (Slowly working towards this). I enjoy being able to go out with just what's required, but hate making do if I have the correct equipment. I feel a trailer would allow me to do this better and for longer than I can currently.
Whatever your set up I think the biggest priority is that you enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier