Want the Hot New Ranger Raptor w/ a V-8? Looks Like You’re Gonna Have to Move to Australia Then!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Old Vetts are great!! Most are not expensive, they are typically in good shape, and there no shortage of upgrades available.

I'm fine with derailing this thread. Yeah C5s are good, most of the ones I've driven have been heavily modified for track days but even just a convertible for cruising around would be fun. I was thinking about maybe a first gen Miata because for the prices I could easily do that, plus if I crashed it a track day, no real sweat. On the higher end of my budget a second or third gen Viper would be awesome. Or just cash out the retirement and get a Lambo.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm fine with derailing this thread. Yeah C5s are good, most of the ones I've driven have been heavily modified for track days but even just a convertible for cruising around would be fun. I was thinking about maybe a first gen Miata because for the prices I could easily do that, plus if I crashed it a track day, no real sweat. On the higher end of my budget a second or third gen Viper would be awesome. Or just cash out the retirement and get a Lambo.

"The struggle is real"

I'm still trying to decide what kind of project car/truck to get in a few years when my daughter is old enough to start helping...lol.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I'm fine with derailing this thread.

Ha, ha,ha, ha ???? Well Played!

Be interesting to see how far off the rails this one actually takes it !

Popping into these threads these days is like being a young kid 50 years ago, and stopping off at a roadside turquoise roofed Stuckey’s when dad pulls over to get the station wagon gassed up, and going inside the store to buy one of those closed top, brown paper bags from the ??? mystery grab bag display.... you just never know what you’re going to find inside!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

2019 Ford Ranger Drift Truck

6.2L supercharged LSA engine, TR6060 six-speed manual transmission, four-link rear suspension, Ford 9-inch rear-end, roll cage

Built by Gardner Mods and Kay's Fabrication in Queensland, Australia

FB_IMG_1578241165259.jpgFB_IMG_1578241176869.jpgFB_IMG_1578241174409.jpgFB_IMG_1578241171999.jpgFB_IMG_1578241169164.jpgFB_IMG_1578241179295.jpgFB_IMG_1578241162920.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Man you're all wrong, that thing is even more garish than anything Hennessy could crank out after messing around with your money completing someone elses car!

Think about it this way you have a few options like I said, we will look them over:
  • Mazda Miata (first generation, 1989-1997)
Eunos.jpg

Pros:
  • Super cheap, probably wouldn't have to finance it.
  • Easy to work on.
  • Cheap enough that if you crashed it a track day you wouldn't be too heartbroken.
  • They always look happy.
  • Pop-up headlights
  • Free hairdrier with purchase.
Cons:
  • You now work at a salon.
  • You will always want to LS swap it.
  • It will only let you play songs from Need for Speed Underground 2
Next up is the Corvette, I think for this the two generations that I would get are the C4 (preferably a 90s example) and C5 and I feel like they're close enough I can lump them together.

C4-and-C51.jpg

Pros:

• LS V8 Power.
  • Popup headlights.
  • Relatively cheap to buy, and not that expensive to own.
  • Doesn't matter if they have ton of miles, those engines are stout.

Cons:
  • You are now a 53 years old, and you only address people younger than you with "champ", "sport" and "bud".
  • You have to figure out how your Corvette is 1 of 1 example.
  • Don't search for C4 too much or else the FBI will show up at your door.
  • All your shirts have to be tucked into your jean shorts.

Moving into the cars that people think are super expensive based on their name alone but are probably more affordable than you might think.

Porsche 911 (1997-2006, 996 chassis)

porsche-996-is-now-the-time-to-buy-this-bargain-911-5823_16488_969x727.jpg

Pros:
  • Surprisingly cheap, but you'll probably have finance it.
  • People will think you're rich.
  • Turbocharged.
  • Classic looks, but no one will be quite sure what year your 911 is.
Cons:
  • People will think you're rich, but you're actually poor from repairing it.
  • Watercooled, if you're a purist.
  • The turbo has probably failed.
  • You've never driven a rear engine car, so you've oversteered straight into a tree.
Dodge Viper, really any year, but I'll stick to Gen 1 and 2 (1991-2002)

the-first-dodge-viper-is-a-brutal-bargain-1476934603110-1000x786.jpg

Pros:
  • V10 Power (even if 4 cylinders get more power than it now).
  • Classic 90s look, probably the most iconic American Sports car of the 90s.
  • Bob Lutz created it.
  • A really big go kart with most of the frivolities stripped away.
Cons:
  • No traction control, ABS or antilock brakes.
  • You're already out of gas.
  • Can be turned into that abomination you posted earlier.
  • "Hey man is that a Ferrari?"
Now we move into serious money but not quite to commit life insurance fraud territory.

Nissan GTR (R35), 2007-Present

NISSANGT-R-3701_8.jpg

Pros:
  • Designed with cutting edge technology.
  • Dynamic AWD system.
  • Good used examples can still be found for 50k, which isn't cheap, but not so expensive that its prohibitively expensive.
  • One earliest examples of an automatic being a better choice for a sports car than a manual
Cons:
  • That technology was cutting edge.... for 2006 when it was originally designed
  • After 60k miles that advanced transmission actually becomes a grenade.
  • Those turbos are no fun to work on when they go, and they go.
  • Someone in a body modified Infiniti G37 coupe will come up to you and try and say he has a GTR as well.
Ferrari 360 (all versions, 1999-2004)

2001_ferrari_360_modena_152902287898764daA-Exterior-23-940x627.jpg

Pros:
Cons:
  • It probably is actually more than you can afford, pal... Its a Ferrari.
  • You've already engaged the immobilizer.
  • Its back at the mechanics.
  • Italians doing their best impression of British electrical wiring.
Lastly I think is the blow it all, cash out your retirement cars:

Lamborghini Gallardo (all models, 2003-2013)

gallardo-0638.jpg

Pros:
  • Tied for the most cylinders as the Viper, but has a better transmission by far.
  • Its a ************** Lamborghini, bro.
  • Its beginning to appreciate, or at the very least depreciation has basically evaporated.
  • Sub-100k for most models.
Cons:
  • Manuals are rare, but the E-gear isn't bad as long as you don't get and early model.
  • Oops, you've actually purchased a 2004.
  • You're now a Youtuber.
  • You've now had to commit insurance fraud after seeing your repair built.
Finally, I'm throwing this on for ********** and giggles, as if this entire list hasn't been exactly that, but this is full on embezzle from your local non-profit money, and my preferred halo car....

Ford GT (2004-2006)

2006_ford_gt_154724724867f37dacedScreen-Shot-2019-01-11-at-2.51.02-PM-940x653.png

Pros:
  • Dude this is THE American sports car. Seriously its the only one with serious racing history, even if it was its angry drunk uncle back in the 60s.
  • The engine is so damn smooth, one of the best engines I've ever had the pleasure to breath into life with my right foot.
  • Surprisingly forgiving clutch.
  • This car has ZERO depreciation. It won't beat the stock market, but you aint losing money on this.
  • It has parts from the Ford Taurus.
Cons:
  • It has parts from the Ford Taurus.

And to round out the list I will offer up a few Honorable mentions: Mazda RX7 and RX8 (BRAP BRAP), Nissan 350 and 370 (your highschool girlfriend who was kind of chubby, but you learned a lot from), Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86/Scion FRS (who knew the same car could cost so much when made by one particular brand?), Fox Body Mustang (yee-yee!), 4th Gen Camaro (comes with a six pack of Coors lite with every purchase!), and the Jaguar XK (Its a Jagggg baby).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

My dad and little brother built a Miata to Auto-X. It was a fun little car for Solo II.... But not so much if you needed to accelerate in a straight line....haha. It was basically a go kart with a windshield.

I would love another Fox body, but finding a non-clapped out 5.0, LX, with the 5 speed is getting harder and harder.

My grandpa has a 96? Ranger with the 4 banger and 5 speed. I might try to snagg it and then let my daughter learn how to twist wrenches and drive on a cheap and gutless little truck. Once she grows up some and has self control, then we can drop in a built 351W and a T5 and have some serious fun.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
My friend had a Miata for Autocross and Road Rallys but it ended up in a wall and as much as we took parts off it we never were able to get enough enthusiasm to put those parts onto a new model. I loved that little piece of crap. Like you said basically a street legal go kart.

I've seen a few clean Fox Bodies but the money they were asking wasn't insane, but just not reasonable for a car of that vintage. The following blob body Mustang seems to have a bit of a cult following too, though I believe the early 00s angry Mustang was a better looking car.... I also was a kid during that time and remember things fondly, and all the current stuff looks better and will age better too.

My grandpa was a whole mess of things. He was a Navy Diver, then a proto-Frogman, then became a welder, then a fabricator for a newspaper company, honestly he's done so much. Him and I never had a car story as he was very much into the "I'll get a new car every 2 years, and they'll all be Crown Victorias" stage of his life by the time I came into this world, but he taught me so much about workmanship on things besides automobiles. Like I said, no kids and no prospects of it happening any time soon I may eventually try to pass on some of what he taught me in a school or something down the line when I retire from the military.

85_Ranger4x4

My grandpa has a 96? Ranger with the 4 banger and 5 speed. I might try to snagg it and then let my daughter learn how to twist wrenches and drive on a cheap and gutless little truck. Once she grows up some and has self control, then we can drop in a built 351W and a T5 and have some serious fun.

IMO 95-97 were the best years for the old Ranger.

Two piston bolt on front calipers, new interior, 4 wheel ABS, airbags and either trans was pretty good.

M5OD 5-speed was the best trans put in into a Ranger IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior