Want to get into riding, need a bike...

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Ok, so I've ridden a dirt bike all of twice, and never driven a street bike although I spent a lot of time on the back of one as a kid.

I'm looking for an entry level bike to tool around on and play with. I'm not gonna do any crazy tricks, ride super fast through trees, or haul the mail across the desert. I just want to ride around and have fun, and MAYBE in the future get into exploring on 2 wheels.

For now though, I need to learn.

So with that in mind, I've been looking for a bike and a buddy who needs some cash offered me his '99 KDX 220 for $1500. He says it's mechanically perfect, low hours, etc etc just has a lot of trail rash on the plastics.

I'm looking for advice on both the bike and the price for my purposes. Reading online, they sound like very reliable bikes, just don't know about the price and if it would be a suitable beginner bike.

FYI, I'm 26, 6'3" and 200lbs.

Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks,

Ary

trailsurfer

Explorer
Ok, so I've ridden a dirt bike all of twice, and never driven a street bike although I spent a lot of time on the back of one as a kid.

I'm looking for an entry level bike to tool around on and play with. I'm not gonna do any crazy tricks, ride super fast through trees, or haul the mail across the desert. I just want to ride around and have fun, and MAYBE in the future get into exploring on 2 wheels.

For now though, I need to learn.

So with that in mind, I've been looking for a bike and a buddy who needs some cash offered me his '99 KDX 220 for $1500. He says it's mechanically perfect, low hours, etc etc just has a lot of trail rash on the plastics.

I'm looking for advice on both the bike and the price for my purposes. Reading online, they sound like very reliable bikes, just don't know about the price and if it would be a suitable beginner bike.

FYI, I'm 26, 6'3" and 200lbs.

Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks,

Ary

I was in the same position 2 years ago. Take the MSF course. It is fantastic. While, it really does not apply to dirt riding, it will get your mind and body ready to ride.

I would look at getting a bike with a little more power for a guy your size.

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have seen a lot of guys your size on Suzuki DRZ400's, But if it were me, i would go more the 650 route.

have fun and be safe

Get a suzuki DR650. Good power yet mellow, pretty short, good handling. Or, since you are a big boy, buy my XR650L. Already set up for the adventure riding you could eventually do!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
You wanna buy a bike you can grow into. Look more at the 650 size. Once you ride one of the bigger ones, you'll never wanna go back. I think LaOubackTrail's KLR is still for sale... I had the chance to take it for a spin a little while ago... nice bike and easy to handle.

If nothing else, you may talk to some folks who have them, and they can tell you more about the road you are going down.

EDIT: He beat me to it...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think that bike is perfect for you. It's kinda tall, but so are you, so you should fit it comfortably. I had a Yamaha DT200 which was pretty similar to the Kawy. They have more than enough power to learn on. These bikes are quite reliable and durable. They are 2 strokes, but not high strung like a MX of the same vintage. In fact, sometimes they're described as "3 strokes" because the power delivery is somewhere between a 2 and 4. The only real problem for learning on that bike is they don't have much low end torque, but unless you're riding on REALLY technical terrain, you won't notice.

Best of all, you should be able to sell that bike for $1000-1500 when you're done learning, and have decided what type of bike you really want. Any running bike in decent shape should get at least $1000.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice guys. I firmly believe in getting something I can ride now, and not something I have to grow into. I've tried that approach before with other things, and have ended up very frustrated in the process. I want to enjoy it and have fun, and trade up when the time comes. I'm not gonna stress over a couple hundred bucks if I'm gonna struggle riding it and not have fun.

I'd also like to help my buddy out if what he has fits my needs and is fairly priced. I just don't know that much about bikes and am looking to the wisdom of those who do.

Purzell

Adventurer
Yamaha

Yamaha WR250R
Fuel injected, tall enough for you, loads of fun, huge gas mileage.

Have you visited ADVrider.com? You can search many types of bikes there to see what those folks think. Kind of like ExPo but for motorcycles.

PS: My buddy who is 6'4" rides one of these, with only slight mods (high bar)

lake_bueller

Observer
As some of the others have mentioned, something like a DR or KLR will be a better long term bike. And they seem to hold their value fairly well. I'd definately look for something that is street legal. Depending on where you live, it can be difficult to find places to ride a strictly "dirt bike".

I have a DR650 that I've thought about selling. I'm not pushing too hard because it's a great bike that I bought for a great price. My current direction is to install some saddlebags and make it an adventure touring bike.

Thanks for the advice guys. I firmly believe in getting something I can ride now, and not something I have to grow into. I've tried that approach before with other things, and have ended up very frustrated in the process. I want to enjoy it and have fun, and trade up when the time comes. I'm not gonna stress over a couple hundred bucks if I'm gonna struggle riding it and not have fun.

I'd also like to help my buddy out if what he has fits my needs and is fairly priced. I just don't know that much about bikes and am looking to the wisdom of those who do.

Sounds like you have your mind made up.

If you buy the KDX, do know that you will only be able to ride it off hwy on trails. That bike is only designed for lower RPM trail riding, not motor cross or hwy use. They can sort of spontaneously implode if ridden at high RPM (as in trying to ride on the hwy) then chopping the throttle. Good bikes regardless and revered as one of the best bang for the buck trail bikes.

But will you be happy with only trailering to trails and then riding there only or would you want a bike that you can ride to the trails then on the trails?

My first bike after learning to ride at 12 was when I was 18. I bought an 03 KLR, relearned to ride, struggled offroad with the heavy pig....

It really depends on what sort of riding you want to do. Motorcycles have been my life since I was 18 and can probably tell you a lot about any of the offroad or dual sport motorcycles, if you ask, or explain what you really want to do!

lake_bueller

Observer
I've tried that approach before with other things, and have ended up very frustrated in the process.

That's funny because that's part of the reason why I went with the DR650. I've done the "start small and trade-up" routine before. After a few months, I was done with the small and wanted to go bigger. The DR is my first "dirt bike" after about 15 years of street riding/road racing. I wanted a bike that was comfortable, not too tall and had ELECTRONIC ignition. After riding my buddies XLR450, I'm glad I went with the DR.

Make sure you have all the appropriate gear (boots, gloves, helmet, chest protector, etc). It could safe your life someday!!!

Good luck, have fun and be careful!!

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Not in the least, I just wanted to put it out there that I'm not ready to jump on a big bike and struggle with it. My buddy is actually having second thoughts about selling the bike at all.

I'm not too worried about places to ride. I live adjacent to 100 acres owned by a hunt club where people ride all the time, and have 72 acres of my own in WV that I can ride on when I want to.

I'm very intimidated by motorcycles and very in love with them at the same time, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with my reservations about getting a bigger bike.

If I wanted to get something street friendly/legal, what would you guys recommend? MAX budget is $2k for now.

Thanks

Capt Sport

Adventurer
If I wanted to get something street friendly/legal, what would you guys recommend? MAX budget is $2k for now.

If you want a street legal bike I would look at the DR400 for a guy your size. There are a lot of them around in the used market, they've proven to be pretty reliable. However, there are a lot of good bikes out there in the used market. I would shy away from the 650's as your first bike, they're typically a little heavier. And a lighter bike would serve you better on the trail. I think a 250 would be a little bit small for your size and you'll be wanting more power in short order. There are lots of bikes that'll fit the bill for you, in your price range look for older Suzuki DR400's. I also think you can find nice Yamaha XT350's and DR350's for even cheaper than you've budgeted. If you have friends that have bikes similar to what your looking at, talk them into letting you take a spin on their bike. A quick spin will tell you a lot about what you want in a bike.

On a side note, the KDX 220 you were looking at is not a good bike for you seeing how your just starting out. It's a two stroke and produces power completely different than a 4 stroke. A 4 stroke produces nice trackable linear power which will be much easier to learn on. A 2 stroke produces more explosive power which is IMO more exciting and fun to ride. However, 2 stroke bikes are very unforgiving and it will kick your but in a heart beat if your new to bikes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Okie doke. Now I've got a few minutes to lay out what I know... and I'll limit it to street legal dual sports.

Small bikes:
Your choices are pretty broad here, ranging from a Yamaha 200 to a Suzuki 400. These include: Kawasaki KLR 250, Kawasaki Sherpa 250, Kawasaki KLX250, Honda NX250 (older, rarer, cooler!), Honda XR250L (uncommon), Suzuki DR250, Suzuki DRZ400S, Yamaha TW200, and Yamaha XT225.

My personal experience with these... I've owned both the DRZ400 and the XT225. I taught my wife (5'8, 120lbs, no experience) to ride the XT225 fit her well. I've rode it one day for over 6hrs, and at the end of the day I was sore from being so cramped. But otherwise the XT225 was great! It also has the best aftermarket support with luggage, windscreens, larger gas tank. The XT225 also gets 60-80mpg. It has really mellow power, but with a re-gear it'll do 70mph easy.
The DRZ400 is another good bike. It is taller, but honestly its going to be the better fit for you and it is a dirt bike. You just might not find one for less than $2000.

I have ridden the KLR250 and the KLX250, both are taller than the XT225 and have decent power and are light. Both great choices, KLR will be cheaper, KLX is newer and slightly more expensive.

Bigger Bikes:
IN YOUR PRICE RANGE--- Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DR650, and Honda XR650L
PLEASE don't rule the bigger bikes out. As I mentioned before the DR650 is a great beginner bike. It has one of the lowest seat heights of the 650s and makes good power and is rideable all day long. Its a well designed bike that resides between the KLR650 (50/50 hwy/offroad) and the XR650L (25/75). But, dont let that fool you. I set my XR650L up to do hwy and was far more comfortable riding all day than my KLR650. And then, when it came to offroading, the XR650L is farrrrr better offroad. The KLR is an awesome little tractor too. The bike is one of the WORLD's favorite bikes.

ABOUT YOU:
No bike is necessarily perfect. You've got to decide what you want to do with it and research from there. There are a lot of bikes out there. Check on ADVrider.com the THUMPERS section will learn you a lot! There is a thread about small bikes... and a dedicated thread about each and every bike I listed above.
If you have any specific questions about any of the bikes above, let me know! And like I said I've got my XR650L for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94