Warn winch runs when solenoids have power

KMR

Adventurer
For those of you who are Cruiserheads, I just posted this on MUD as well, but I thought I might have better luck here.

So:
New Warn9.5xp
Had to go and be difficult and move the control box up under the hood.
I labeled everything real carefully (I thought I did anyway)
As soon as the power cable to the solenoid box gets power, the winch starts to turn with no remote hooked up.

What did I mess up?

I did this late last night and have not had time to trouble shoot yet but I dont even know what I should check.

The only thing that I think I could have done is reverse the field (F1,F2) wires. I thought that would only make it run backwards though, not all the time.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Sounds like at some point something is bypassing a switchable circuit "solenoid" and providing continuous uninterrupted power. You know this already of course because it is not working properly. You must have bypassed a solenoid at some point. Did you disassemble the solenoid pack at any point? I looked it up on Warns site and then looked under parts list to make certain I knew the model and solenoid pack, and it is similar to a Warm which I owned in the past and does have 4 solenoids. But if you did not change the config. of these than maybe you just have a simple case of wrong wire wrong placement.

Aaron

KMR

Adventurer
I only disconnected the cables, no disassembly of the solenoids.

I was planning on staring at it with a continuity tester on hand and try to see how power was flowing through.
I must have made some stupid simple mistake.

KMR

Adventurer
Ok, got it, stupid mistake, cable on the wrong post. (I didn't let the smoke out though)

Called Warn, got right through, they emailed me a schematic that showed everything very nicely. Get customer service.

For reference:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior