Warn Wireless Remote & Solenoid Replacement

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I have a Warn M8000 and I am considering a couple of upgrades but I have a couple of questions.

Question #1

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the 76080 Warn wireless remote? How does the receiver mount? Does it plug into the control box? Is it worth it?

I am debating using one of the wireless remote systems or installing a dash mounted master/in/out switch.

Question #2

Have any of you replaced your Warn's standard solenoid pack with a solid state Albright HD solenoid or similar HD solenoid? Is it a difficult conversion and is it worth doing?

Thanks!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
On the wireless idea the unit for my T-Maxx is pretty straight foward and can be added to almost any winch. The T-Maxx has a cord that can attach to the wireless remote in the event the battery goes dead in the remote. In my last truck I used a factory toyota up/down window button to control my winch. It took some time to figure which pin on the switch did what but I got it and it worked flawlessly. As for the solenoids the ones warn sells are pricey and no different then the solenoid for a ford something or rather I believe that are sold at local auto parts stores for $6ea. Just take in your old one and compare it to what they can fin until you get a match. Warn sells theres for $25ea.

Aaron

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Richard, keep us posted on this. I'd love to go wireless at some point, perhaps the next time I loose my contoller.

Did you solenoid stop working or are you just looking at an upgrade?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I really like that, i might have to get one..

Warn_wireless_remote_L.jpg

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Andrew Walcker said:
Richard, keep us posted on this. I'd love to go wireless at some point, perhaps the next time I loose my contoller.

As soon as I decide what it is I am doing I will be sure to do a write up.

Andrew Walcker said:
Did you solenoid stop working or are you just looking at an upgrade?

I want a compact upgrade for my current control box. I have yet to pop a solenoid but I have been with people who have. Changing the solenoid isn't a difficult affair but I would like to rid myself of the box and its four solenoids from its current location to just one solid state unit in a "cleaner" environment. I looked at the Warn MOSFET controllers but they are pricey and not particularly compact.

I had read that the conversion is used by many of the Outback Challenge teams and are durable (extremely water and dustproof) , compact, simple, and reliable.

OS-Aussie said:
Do you want wireless or a permanent interior switch solution.
Most Jeep guys appear to be going for the interior switch, and it's also cheap.

winchctrls.jpg

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=RGJ/PROD/R/RG631

Honestly it depends on how the wireless system hooks up. I can't seem to find too much info on that. I will give Warn a call tomorrow and find out. Both in-cab and wiresless seem to have their pros and their cons.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
On the YJ from Hell the owner wanted in-cab winch control switches (arm + in/out) that matched the ARB switches. I learned that those switches (from Cole Hersey?) are very modular and that you can build the switch you want by buying switches with the features you need and combining them. They aren't really intended to have that done, but it wasn't terribly difficult to do either.

I've always figured on simply putting a second (or perhaps only) socket for the wired remote in the cab. I built my current coiled wire remote so I'm a little attached to it. On my dune buggy the only socket is right under the steering column.

Having 'rebuilt' the Ford type solenoids it's not all that difficult to do. Biggest challenge for an in-field rebuild would be having already replaced the bottom plate rivets with screws & nuts.
The solid state relays are attractive, but not rebuildable and can be sensitive to voltage spikes. I'd rather have simple, field fixable, and known to be robust.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
This looks great. I've always wanted to add this as an option, and still retain the ability to use the wired controller too.

I thought if I were alone and needed to anchor the pull pal at the same time, this would be a great tool, as the pull pal needs some help getting started until it begins to really grab hold.

I need to look into this.

Thanks for posting this up.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I run the Ramsey wireless winch controls with my Ramsey 9500. I love it. When I want to use it, I just plug the adaptor into the normal wired control port on the winch. I then can control it with a key fob type transmitter that works very well. If I want to go back to direct wired control, I just unplug the wireless cable and plug in the wired controller on the same port.

If the Warn set up is similar, I highly recommend it.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Thanks for the info fellas.

Tucson T4R said:
I run the Ramsey wireless winch controls with my Ramsey 9500. I love it. When I want to use it, I just plug the adaptor into the normal wired control port on the winch. I then can control it with a key fob type transmitter that works very well. If I want to go back to direct wired control, I just unplug the wireless cable and plug in the wired controller on the same port.

If the Warn set up is similar, I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately the Warn is not. The Warn wireless uses a seperate control box as a transmitter for the wireless remote, which is not what I am after. I have seen the plug-in type transmitters from T-Max and Ramsey and that is what I am really after.

xcmountain80 said:
On the wireless idea the unit for my T-Maxx is pretty straight foward and can be added to almost any winch. The T-Maxx has a cord that can attach to the wireless remote in the event the battery goes dead in the remote.

Aaron

Do you happen to have the model number for the T-Max control you have? I went on to the site and didn't see anything that fits your description.

SOCALFJ said:
Much cheaper than 12volt guy ($33 for the switch panel and another $30 for the harness).... but is it as high quality?

I don't think either in-cab system would be too hard to make with the only "quality" part being the panel itself (from what I can see). I'd rather make my own utilizing one of the blank panels that I already have on the dash interior but I'd like to see some directions for reference.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
MuddyMudskipper said:
I have a Warn M8000 and I am considering a couple of upgrades but I have a couple of questions.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the 76080 Warn wireless remote?
I personally do not have experience with it as I have the T-Max boomer box like Aaron mentioned.

MuddyMudskipper said:
How does the receiver mount?
The receiver is recommended by Warn to mounted location that is as clean and dry as possible while also allowing access to the programming button. Warn recommends under dash, on inner fender inside engine compartment.
Wireless_Page_04_Image_0002.jpg

Or in a location near the winch that provide clearance:
Wireless_Page_04_Image_0001.jpg

MuddyMudskipper said:
Does it plug into the control box?
Yes. The wiring harness gets connected to the winch control pack, and wire is secured using wire tie wraps.
Wireless_Page_05_Image_0001.jpg

MuddyMudskipper said:
Is it worth it?

For $127.96 (At Sierra Expeditions) It is really dependent on your needs. IMO the option to be wireless can be a great benefit.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
MuddyMudskipper said:
Do you happen to have the model number for the T-Max control you have? I went on to the site and didn't see anything that fits your description.

Part Number... 24301 You can e-mail sales "at" SierraExpeditions "dot" com for pricing on the Boomer box.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Hmm nope it came with my outback edition 9K winch.
Ahh here it is on their site.
http://www.t-maxwinches.com/accessories.htm#wireless
After a quick googlization the prices range from $150-$180. See what Sierra expo says. I think it is waterproof, it's built very well for sure. As long as your m8000 is a 3 wire which it should be I Know I had a m6000 and it was, your good to go.

Aaron

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Thank you Wil and Aaron. My problem is that I am very limited on space so I was hoping that the wireless systems didn't have an additional box to mount. As you can see from my control box relocation post I didn't have too many choices for relocating the factory Warn control box which is why I am seriously considering the Albright conversion.

Wil, would you happen to know the dimensions of the Warn wireless receiver?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles