Wasps invading my tent!

Renshi

I have a new CVT Mt. Rainier Extended. Where the tent folds the canvas does not cover up the "Joint" when set up, and the Hornets are getting into my tent! It also has holes with some sort of flaps in the corners where the overhang support pole mounts. They don't secure the hole well at all, and...yep...wasps are getting in there as well. From the looks of it, the annex room might close those holes into the annex room itself and not leave the tent exposed to the outdoors there, but I have never zipped the annex on. I don't suspect I will use the annex often at all in fact. So now the wasps like the tent so well that they are building an nice nest in the overhang! I have taken it down twice already and they just keep building. Advice? Oh, the tent is stationary and will remain open for another two weeks while I am working on the new trailer.
Please chime in with any ideas. Short of setting the tent ablaze I am open to suggestions.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I'd say you clean it with something they aren't attracted to. And then you re-impregnate it with something you have checked they aren't attracted to (do a test on a piece of fabric). There must be something they're attracted to.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
if you have that happening, it is more about the location and orientation of the tent than anything else. I have similar issues along one side of my house... you simply need to find a way to fold it up and store it...

but you might be able to hang something to discourage them... I just wouldn't know what

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Just a though. Knock the nest/hive down again, and wipe that spot lightly with a rag (sprayed with RAID)???? I am assuming that this is a hard area (like the bottom of the plywood) that they are building on.

I would rather put up with a little RAID fumes for a couple of days than wonder if I'm going to roll over on a wasp.:eek:

Renshi

Get this! Last night I got "home" and they had started TWO nests! One in each corner of the overhang. I may have no choice but put the screen room on. I think I an going to hit them with Raid and wipe the nests off again. Then I will just move the tent and hope! I have to stay in the tent for the next two weeks, so I just need to figure things out I guess.
I called CVT and they said that the spray may stain the tent, but that it would not hurt the fabric. I am not so sure I believe that but, whatever. They told me that they use diluted Bleach to clean their demo tents and that it mat work as well. Oh, they are building nests on the canvas. I just wonder how many wasps are in the colony. I never see any more than a half dozen or so there, but I have killed that many or more, and it is like they are replaced right after.

Renshi

These guys build paper nests. I came home yesterday and they were inside of the tent. I got upset and grabbed an old shirt and just started catching and crushing them. Maybe too much liquid courage mixed with frustration, but I killed a bunch of them! I tore down the nests and I only saw one this morning when I rolled out. I killed it. If they come back I am going to try the moth balls. Thank you Coachgeo!

Renshi

New #8

this might help you figure out what you have, how to remove and deter from coming back

I see your point. I don't like killing them honestly. But the tent is my "home" tentatively, so I need to be able to use it free of hindrance while I finish my work here. Plus, I want to sell this tent as soon as I am done here and recover some of the cost so I don't want it damaged in any way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier