water pump/faucet for milspec jerry can?

DaveM

Explorer
I have 2 of the smaller Scepter water cans. I went to OSH and picked up a small brass valve, 1/4" opening. Drilled out a hole at the base of the can and threaded the valve through it. The valve threads actually cut themselves into the plastic really well and it sealed on it own. I used a small nut to back it up on the inside. I'll get a pic tonight. Not as cool as the hand pump above, but way cheaper... $8 I think.

Defender90

Observer
Looks like I forgot to post the pictures. Sorry! I have a better camera, and am building can #2 this week. I'll document this one.:)

Defender90

Observer
DSC_0402.jpg
DSC_0405.jpg
DSC_0406.jpg
DSC_0407.jpg

Defender90

Observer
The white pvc part is essentially just a spacer. Without it, I couldn't tighten down the pump, so I cut it to fit in there and then tightened the nut on the pump so it all holds tight.

If possible, next time I will put the hole more to the center of the lid and avoid this issue.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Defender90, thanks for the pics. I'm going to swing by West Marine tomorrow and price out the faucet. You mentioned you could get them cheaper elsewhere, any suggestions?

Defender90

Observer
Adventure Trailer sells them cheaper, and West Marine has a cheaper version as well. The one I got was made for salt water use, so it was more.

saburai

Explorer
This thread got me thinking, so today while I was out I went to West Marine and bought a hand water pump (similar to what is pictured) and installed it in the top of my scepter water can. All in all, it took about an hour. I drilled the cap out with a hole saw and plastic epoxied the faucet on both sides to prevent leaks. I was able to leave the vent in the cap, so I think it will work really well. I will put some pictures up soon, after I test it.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/shawnpalmer/Rover2.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/shawnpalmer/Rover3.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/shawnpalmer/Rover1.jpg

Very nice!

Do you happen to have the west marine part number?
It would help me find it on line and then look for an alternate, cheaper source.

Many thanks:victory:

fj40fax

Observer
What about these?

waterpump.jpg

The bigger question is: do we have a source for extra lids so we can keep the pump clean on the inside of the truck?

cruisertoy

Explorer
Very cool. i will do this with one of my lids. What glue did you use? I work with adhesives and it is very difficult to get anything to stick long term to HDPE. Could you attach it to the lid with gaskets?

I wounder if LCI would sell jst the lids. Then you could store the faucet for travel and throw it on at camp.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As cheap as the LCI can are, its worth just stealing one lid off a can and building the pump. Eventually a can will get damaged or a hole and you'll have a spare waiting in the flanks :D

That said if someone wants to call LCI or Scepter and try and get some spare caps, I'd be in, of course if they are any more than $10 its a wash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior