Water storage

WVI

Adventurer
I have a couple of MWC that I've had for a couple decades.
I keep them filled in the house during the winter in case the pipes freeze.
I just put mints in the back f the van in preparation for some travel this fall.
Caps and all still work fine.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Aquatainers have a nice big hi-flowing built in-spigot, but 7gal gets real heavy and in recent years their blow-molded plastic has got quite thin.

I'm been using LCI milspec jugs for a long time and in recent years buyign the Scepter 'civilian' cans which are about 2/3 as thick by weight. Very good sturdy jugs even so and they're about $19. I've got a bunch of both. As well as the Scepter civ fuel jugs. If you don't have to have a NATO-spec can to fit into a holder / bracket you already have, the Scepter civ jugs are a real good deal. Just know they're about an inch wider at the bottom and won't fit in NATO spec holders.

eta
yep, that amazon link looks like a real MWC, but it's a big damned ripoff, just like every other $50 milspec jug. Buy LCI.

eta
here's the newer Scepter 'civilian' variant and that's a good price
https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-0493...=B000MTI0GA&psc=1&refRID=WR9XXJQHZRQH8XNMTBZF

shade

Watch those reviews on amazon, you’ll find many people aren’t getting the military version that’s in the picture.

I got mine from Lexington container company.

Would suggest only buying from an authorized retailer https://civ.sceptermilitary.com/civilian_distributors/
Agreed. I don't know what it'll take for Amazon to get their sellers in check, but the rampant bait & switch games have got to hurt their business.

Roger M.

Adventurer
A great source in Canada for both water and fuel military Sceptre equipment is DS Tactical.
They've got many of the sometimes very difficult to acquire Sceptre parts and pieces as well (I have no affiliation with them at all beyond "customer").

Last edited:

pluton

Adventurer
A great source in Canada for both water and fuel military Sceptre equipment is DS Tactical.
They've got many of the sometimes very difficult to acquire Sceptre parts and pieces as well (I have no affiliation with them at all beyond "customer").
I live in California and I've bought Scepter spares from DS (formerly Dave's) in BC before.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I am having trouble finding a working spigot to work with the Reliant water container. Also since I am custom building this I want something that last and not sure the Reliants are that well built.

My two Reliants split when they were 3/4 full of water and I put them down a bit too quickly. One split in the back of my truck, the other on my garage floor.
The questionable build quality of the Reliant is what prompted me to get the two Sceptre MWC's.

I was in Death Valley for a week or so with the Reliants, and those splits could have just as easily happened there as in my driveway ... the Reliants might actually just a bit dangerous if you're in an incredibly hot environment like DV (I was there during a "heat wave" ... 54 degrees Celsius - definitely not a time to run short of water).

“Aquatainers have a nice big hi-flowing built in-spigot, but 7gal gets real heavy and in recent years their blow-molded plastic has got quite thin.”

I solved the weight issue by using the 4-gal versions. Perhaps the 25# weight difference between the two will reduce the chance of splitting...I hope so. I use them for “utility” water...showers, dishes, etc. I still carry 1-gal jugs of drinking water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke