Water storage

St8ton

My water container with a rocket hand pump. Works well.

4WTpEsLl.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
No, you've got to do some cutting and fitting. The main cap is modified.
Thx for the info. That's fine with me and can just move the cap from MWC to MWC. I have three, but have replaced most of my lesser water containers with Scepter's 'civilian' version 20L, the 'Fat Bottomed Girl' as I think of that series of 20L. Both gas and water have the same small cap and the water pour spout fits on the gas jugs (shhhh don't tell the EPA / CARB). The civilian series jugs are about 2/3 as thick as the milspec, by weight. Same roto-mold process. At about $19 for the water and $24 for the gas they are a great bargain for a sturdy jug, as long as you don't have to fit them in a NATO-spec carrier / rack.

This pic's about 18mos old, I've since replaced several more of those CARB-spouted abominations with the red scepter civilian jugs. Need to take a fresh pic.

gascache181105.jpg

eta the fuel and the other color (diesel yellow and the blue works for either water or kerosine) 20L 'civilian' jugs are the same jug and same ratchet-latching outer cap. The yellow inner spouts are different for gas or water. And CHECK THE SPOUT BEFORE PURCHASING IN A STORE, people like to swap them, you might find a crappy gas spout in your water jug.

I'll take a couple example pics tomorrow, if the rain lets up enough.

The only downside is that unlike the milspec containers the handles are identical, can't tell the difference in the dark, and it isn't as easy to carry two empties with one hand like you can with the MFC. I've been considering wrapping some cordage around the gas can handle so a person can tell by touch. Not that it really matters, there's only a couple very improbable scenarios I can imagine where such a thing would be needed in the dark.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Finally got around to a new pic, regretting they're full of expensive gas, the way prices have been falling.

fuelcache200331.jpg

I've got a wide variety of containers, got rid of the flimsy and heavy (7gal) Aquatainers, gifted them to a scout troupe. I didn't think much about getting MFCs until after they became Verboten and very expensive, despite first entering the Marines in 1987 and knowing they were good containers. I did get a trio of MWCs from LCI many years ago, again great containers. Since Blitz got sued out of existence I was looking for some replacements and along came the Scepter 20L 'civilian' jugs with the wider base and I bought a couple to try and they're great too. Nice and thicc. I already use a SuperSiphon(s) and some lengths of 1/2" ID PVC hose, so CARB/ EPA nozzles can KMA.
So I've been slowly replacing all my older fatter ex-jugs for newer younger sleeker models.

trae

Adventurer
I found a rechargeable battery water pump spigot that fits perfectly in 5 gallon LCI/Scepter water cans. It slips right on to the water nozzle on the cap with a tight friction fit. Right now it is going for less than $13 on Amazon.

Does that mean that the regular hand pump units will fit on there also?

Landsat8

Does that mean that the regular hand pump units will fit on there also?
I don’t think so, the hand pumps I saw while I browsed through amazon had a collar that tightened over the lip on those clear blue water jugs. The powered pump I have just happened to have a plastic ring that fit into the nozzle for the LCI/Scepter cans. I’m not saying its impossible, but I doubt it.

plh

Explorer

Landsat8

Does it fit on the threaded stub tightly?
the water pump has a plastic cylinder that fits inside the inside diameter of the threaded stub. It is pretty tight and won’t come off on it’s own. I would not have it on there all the time while driving (unless you used a bit of silicone), but put it on when you get to camp it would be fine.

Attachments

• 72BD1743-A79C-4F18-94F1-EBDF5EB39345.jpeg
    72BD1743-A79C-4F18-94F1-EBDF5EB39345.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 11FA128A-4502-46C7-9E80-6ED308F81532.jpeg
    11FA128A-4502-46C7-9E80-6ED308F81532.jpeg
    857.7 KB · Views: 27

plh

Explorer
the water pump has a plastic cylinder that fits inside the inside diameter of the threaded stub. It is pretty tight and won’t come off on it’s own. I would not have it on there all the time while driving (unless you used a bit of silicone), but put it on when you get to camp it would be fine.

Thanks, ordered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier