Water tank placement on M1101

Mohammedqur

Hello,

I'm in the process of building camping trailer out of a M1101. It will include a RTT mounted centrally over the axle, tool box kitchen setup, and many other camping gear on top. I also have a 40 gallon RV water tank (48*18*12). The weight of the tank + water when its full should be around 350lbs. I have a place for in in the bed but would rather have the bed clear for other gear. I have a place under the bed behind the axle to hang it with reasonable ground clearance. My question is: Would placing it under the bed behind the axle affect how the trailer pulls negatively? I watched videos about weight distribution but most of them are focused on longer and heavier travel trailers+. Having mounted below would lower the center of gravity. Also, I'm thinking placing it not far from the axle and its weight are not going to produce negative effects on trailer handling. However, I have no experience in this area and would like experts' opinions.

I attached pictures of the trailer in its current state. A rack and RTT will be installed in the coming weeks. Battery system will also go on top in the front of the bed.

Looking forward to your input and advice. Thanks in advance
IMG_20180530_144957.jpgIMG_20180530_144928.jpg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
[QUOTE="Mohammedqur, post: 2481407, member: 89779"

My question is: Would placing it under the bed behind the axle affect how the trailer pulls negatively?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

The laws of physics do not change just because you have a short tool! I mean trailer!

You still need tongue weight and will have to compensate for the "Heavy Rear" with "Mo Weight" in the front!

Yes it can be done. It's all about "Weights and Balances"!

Mohammedqur

[QUOTE="Mohammedqur, post: 2481407, member: 89779"

My question is: Would placing it under the bed behind the axle affect how the trailer pulls negatively?

Yes!

The laws of physics do not change just because you have a short tool! I mean trailer!

You still need tongue weight and will have to compensate for the "Heavy Rear" with "Mo Weight" in the front!

Yes it can be done. It's all about "Weights and Balances"![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

I'll place it up front for now. The "shorter" element I was thinking about was relative to the axle location. Most demonstrations of trailer weight issues present it where the axle is squarely in the middle and and weight placement much further out in the back, away from the axle.

Thanks again!

Porkchopexpress

Yes!
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

I'll place it up front for now. The "shorter" element I was thinking about was relative to the axle location. Most demonstrations of trailer weight issues present it where the axle is squarely in the middle and and weight placement much further out in the back, away from the axle.

Thanks again!

More “basic physics”, torque equals force times distance so the moment arm is the distance from the pivot point at the axle and the force is the weight. If you place the water tank near the axle, you can counter balance with less weight proportional to the ratio of the distance opposite the axle. For example, double the distance, half the weight.

Essayons

If it's any help, I'm modifying an M101A1 and plan on putting my potable water below the bed forward of but closer to the axle. If you have to chose between in front of or behind the axle, too much weight behind the axle will make the trailer "quirrely" and unstable. Ahead of the axle is better, lower too.

Mohammedqur

If it's any help, I'm modifying an M101A1 and plan on putting my potable water below the bed forward of but closer to the axle. If you have to chose between in front of or behind the axle, too much weight behind the axle will make the trailer "quirrely" and unstable. Ahead of the axle is better, lower too.

I'd have love to put it under the bed forward. However, the M1101 frame doesn't have that large of a space underneath forward of the axle, only behind the axle. For now, I placed it on the bed centered forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior