Waterport vehicle water supply

KevinK

Not Very New Member
Or just put a schrader valve in a Scepter type 5G tank and attach a garden hose.

attachment.php

I like this idea. how much pressure do you put in there, and do you have to re-pressurize before all of the water is out?

I'm trying to figure out how much PSI i would need for a 15-17 gallon container to completely empty, so I can find a vessel rated for the high enough pressure.

zelatore

Explorer
I like this idea. how much pressure do you put in there, and do you have to re-pressurize before all of the water is out?

I'm trying to figure out how much PSI i would need for a 15-17 gallon container to completely empty, so I can find a vessel rated for the high enough pressure.

I'd say not much. I have a RoadShower and it's very easy to over pressurize it using a compressor. It uses a standard 15psi radiator cap on the fill so that's the blow-off pressure and when it's full of water (about 5 gallons) there's very little room for air - fills very quickly. With a 15+ gallon tank you would likely need to re-pressurize to empty it fully.

robgendreau

Explorer
Neat, but it doesn't address a couple of issues for me:
1. Tried it and I couldn't get mine to work very well. It wouldn't hold pressure. Probably my poor craftsmanship. BTW, don't you have to have an interior pipe or tube that goes to the bottom of the Scepter can?
2. I want to install mine inside an aftermarket bumper. A long skinny tank like the WaterPORT might work. A Scepter can doesn't; even the 2.5 gallon size.

Yes, you need a down tube. I just used PVC. Attaches on the inside of the cap to the spout.

If it won't hold pressure, look for leaks. Sometimes there is flashing on the lip of the spout or something; might have to sand it down a bit.

If inside the bumper than go to RV or boat places. They sell tanks of all shapes and sizes. Odds are you'll have to do the plumbing yourself. A bladder might work better and give you more water storage though, since anything else might take up a lot of space vs storage. http://atlinc.com/pillow.html#C2; I think they even sell some sizes at Amazon.

robgendreau

Explorer

I dunno, maybe 8lbs? I can't recall. I don't put a gauge on it obviously. The pressure calculation is kinda tough since as the container empties there is a lot more air space; if a constant source of more air is available it doesn't matter, but if you don't have that it's tough. Think of how much smaller an area you have when it's near full, hence more pressue. I just find it easier to throw in some more air. But I do know that I keep my beer in 5G containers at about a constant 15lbs ish or something with CO2 and it pumps it all out.

Overland_tundra

Neat, but it doesn't address a couple of issues for me:
1. Tried it and I couldn't get mine to work very well. It wouldn't hold pressure. Probably my poor craftsmanship. BTW, don't you have to have an interior pipe or tube that goes to the bottom of the Scepter can?
2. I want to install mine inside an aftermarket bumper. A long skinny tank like the WaterPORT might work. A Scepter can doesn't; even the 2.5 gallon size.

The mounts for the waterport dont make sense and are cheap. Feels like the whole thing will just fly off if you drive too fast.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Why do I get the funny feeling Overland Tundra and Tacoma David are the same people? ??? Dig up more portable water supply threads why don't ya?

Laps

On a recent 30 day camping and overlanding trip through Colorado and Utah I realized that the Waterport was one of the most used pieces of gear. It was mounted to a truck bed elevated cargo rack and was very accessible and sturdy. It has the included hand pump which always provided enough pressure. Its indispensable for my purposes, filling the dogs water bowl, washing dishes, showering, etc.

billiebob

Saw this on the ferry this summer, black water tank powered by an air compressor, hot water at the end of the day.

DSCN3093.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles