Waxy contaminant in propane line

Steve_P

Being a of a fairly simple mindset I have to look at what is unique in the situation. You have a relatively popular stove and connector hose and no one else seems to be reporting this problem. The only uniqueness in the system is your propane supplier. If you can clean up the existing hardware I would exchange the cylinder for one that's prefilled. If the problem does not recur you need to find another supplier.

Yes I agree try a cylinder exchange after cleaning up the system. I have never seen contaminant that looks like that. It looks more like grease, something for low temperature operation. Cryo grease? That fitting is strange to me. I did a google image search and came up empty with anything similar. I still don't see how that connects from the propane tank to regulator.

Scoutman

Explorer
In this picture I had disconnected the regulator from the hose to inspect inside. That NPT male fitting threads into the downstream side of the regulator. The green fitting goes to the tank. The propane tank I'm using is a 10# purchased tank so there is no swapping it out. I have plenty of 20# standard BBQ cylinders that I can try though, all filled from the same place.

e44c42bc1f80285799378d44e8fa84be.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I put one of these on my LP Regulator to keep crap from screwing up my heaters, might be worth a shot..
That's the one I was looking into and (linked in my first post) but after posing a question on filtering out the greasy stuff to the seller I got a response of "No, this only filters particulates. The oily residue can be the result of a few things, hoses being used incorrectly, overheated propane among other things."

I assume that using a hose incorrectly means not evacuating all the gas. I'm not sure how high it takes to overheat propane.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add one of the filters above but if you're concerned with filtering anything that may leach from the hoses then you may want to consider the one from Mr Buddy.

Alloy

I've always had some "oil" in a propane system that goes through all the screens but it looks like it mixed with something that has caused it to congeel. . . . .water in the tank??

Have you opened the valve on the tank wiht a rag over it to see what comes out?

WOODY2

Adventurer
I've always had some "oil" in a propane system that goes through all the screens but it looks like it mixed with something that has caused it to congeel. . . . .water in the tank??

Have you opened the valve on the tank wiht a rag over it to see what comes out?
Probably nothing unless the correct end is screwed directly onto the tank to depress the safety valve? Sounds like moisture
In this picture I had disconnected the regulator from the hose to inspect inside. That NPT male fitting threads into the downstream side of the regulator. The green fitting goes to the tank. The propane tank I'm using is a 10# purchased tank so there is no swapping it out. I have plenty of 20# standard BBQ cylinders that I can try though, all filled from the same place.

e44c42bc1f80285799378d44e8fa84be.jpg
I may have found a lead, McMaster Carr and I'm certain others carry a fitting that screws on that is for a quick disconnect for a forklift application? But I suspect that the problem is in the tank, either moisture or contaminated fuel.

Scoutman

Explorer
Look like any of these?

Nope. I've found other threads on this forum and others that folks were trying to track down what fitting this was. I'm less concerned with the fitting type as I am the reason it's plugging up in the first place.

I guess the reason I'm skeptical about it being the hose is how can the hose be completely clear one minute and then after 10 min of run time be completely clogged with 'stuff'? I can understand the 'leaching of petroleum products' from a hose but I can't see it coming out at that rate.

The investigation continues.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Nope. I've found other threads on this forum and others that folks were trying to track down what fitting this was. I'm less concerned with the fitting type as I am the reason it's plugging up in the first place.

I guess the reason I'm skeptical about it being the hose is how can the hose be completely clear one minute and then after 10 min of run time be completely clogged with 'stuff'? I can understand the 'leaching of petroleum products' from a hose but I can't see it coming out at that rate.

The investigation continues.
I'm tending to agree that the hose isn't the primary source of your issue but rather the tank and or the contents. Should be simple enough to hook another hose up with nothing attached ( note do this safely in an outdoor area ) and see if the same issue arrises ?

Steve_P

Have you contacted Partner Steel to see if anyone else is reporting this issue and how they resolved it?
Have you seen the waxy residue upstream of the schrader valve, say inside the mpt fitting at the regulator?
How full/empty is the lp cylinder?

As far as finding the connector is concerned. The stove side receiver for the connector is likely screwed on/into to a standard fitting which could be used to adapt the connection to a 3/8 flare, taking the schrader valve out of the equation.

WOODY2

Adventurer
It is obvious that the stove is not the issue. that leaves the tank, fuel and hose. Isolate and remove problem solved.

Scoutman

Explorer
Have you contacted Partner Steel to see if anyone else is reporting this issue and how they resolved it?
Have you seen the waxy residue upstream of the schrader valve, say inside the mpt fitting at the regulator?
How full/empty is the lp cylinder?

As far as finding the connector is concerned. The stove side receiver for the connector is likely screwed on/into to a standard fitting which could be used to adapt the connection to a 3/8 flare, taking the schrader valve out of the equation.

-I contacted them last week and the guy who builds their hoses had not run across this before for what it's worth.
-no, there was no notable residue in the NPT end of the hose, in the regulator output, the tank fitting on the regulator, or the tank output.
-the tank is about 1/3 full. I use a Truma tank level sensor and it's been fantastic. I always carry it with me in the truck to monitor how much I have left.

perterra

Adventurer
-I contacted them last week and the guy who builds their hoses had not run across this before for what it's worth.
-no, there was no notable residue in the NPT end of the hose, in the regulator output, the tank fitting on the regulator, or the tank output.
-the tank is about 1/3 full. I use a Truma tank level sensor and it's been fantastic. I always carry it with me in the truck to monitor how much I have left.

You are not getting that much residue from a hose, it's coming from the liquid in the tank. Ethyl mercaptan and water maybe, but that there is also a bit of oil in propane would not surprise me as it is petroleum based. Propane can be all over the place in quality. I have sold it in 100 lb cylinders for years, it happens, and it's the liquid in every case.

You can chase this problem forever, but my best advice is look for the simply problems first, then move from there. I would get a fresh cylinder from someone besides your current supplier, and see what happens. Something to remember, your propane guy likely isnt pulling a vacuum on the tank like we do on high pressure gases, so you could have water in the cylinder that is causing the issue. A 10 lb cylinder is going to have little room for excess

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
If it's the cylinder/propane in it, unscrew the valve from the cylinder and clean the cylinder out then put it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne