Ways to attach the canvas of a pop-up camper to the frame

czerr

Afternoon!

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. I should be good now. I'm in the process of building a very small pop-up truck camper for my Dodge Ram 1500. The idea is by the time it's done it'll be the size of a canopy. The roof will pop up about two feet. I plan on using some sort of waterproof canvas, but I'm having difficulty imagining a good way to attach the canvas on both sides (roof and main frame of camper) in a way that will keep it water tight and not pinch when I lower the pop-up section. Does anyone have any suggestions of tried, tested and true methods? Or just any crazy idea, really.

Thanks!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey Czerr... sounds like a cool project! One that I am very familiar with actually... and I am just about to jump into the fabric game on mine as well. I am going to be using Marine Sunbrella fabric. This is some heavy duty waterproof UV rated stuff used for wind dodgers, covers and so on for boats. I have a friend of a friend who is going to be doing this for me, he works in the marine industry doing upholstery and making custom covers etc.

Anyhow, he was talking back and forth with the guy who helped me with my camper build, and the way we decided to attach the fabric is under the roof, and to the sides of the camper. My roof overhangs the side walls by about 1/4 inch on all sides giving us enough room to attach the fabric directly to the sides with a 1" strip of aluminum and a crapload of SS screws to hold it in place. These will be face mounted and counter sunk with the fabric captured behind.

The top section will be attached to the roof with the same 1" aluminum but mounted up and bent in an inverted "L" shape and screwed into the underside of the roof. We made the frame so that there is a structure to screw into for this purpose.

When the roof is open, the fabric is pulled tight and is flush with the wall at the bottom and the upper section is covered by the roof overhang. Waterproof and hopefully the crazy good wear properties of the Sunbrella will equal a long life.

I will post some pics tomorrow of how I intend to make this all work if I can.

Looking forward to your project!

czerr

Morning!

Thanks a lot for all the replies. VanIsle_Greg is the picture I posted kind of what you are talking about? That's how I planned on doing it. Does anyone see any issues in doing it this way? I was either going to rivet it or install rivnuts and just bolt the flat bar on. So I can easily replace the canvas if need be. Do you think there will be an issue when closing the roof and pinching the canvas together? Too much wear and tear?

Thanks!

The Artisan

Adventurer
Morning!

Thanks a lot for all the replies. VanIsle_Greg is the picture I posted kind of what you are talking about? That's how I planned on doing it. Does anyone see any issues in doing it this way? I was either going to rivet it or install rivnuts and just bolt the flat bar on. So I can easily replace the canvas if need be. Do you think there will be an issue when closing the roof and pinching the canvas together? Too much wear and tear?

Thanks!

View attachment 523786
If I were doing canvas I would use alum angle in the inside corner on roof of the overhang and angle over your mainframe support. Have your upholster sew a strip of 40oz polyester coated vinyl to the front of the material you are using for your tent, it adds more durability where it folds.
No water can leak in. Also look at weathermax 80. I have used it before to replace ezup tops. I chose to use a hinged system with hard panels
Kevin

czerr

If I were doing canvas I would use alum angle in the inside corner on roof of the overhang and angle over your mainframe support. Have your upholster sew a strip of 40oz polyester coated vinyl to the front of the material you are using for your tent, it adds more durability where it folds.
No water can leak in. Also look at weathermax 80. I have used it before to replace ezup tops. I chose to use a hinged system with hard panels
Kevin

Do you mean something like this?

The Artisan

Adventurer
hold on will sketch for you. I had planned to do my product as in the sketch if my hardside topper did not get patent pended. It did though so no need.
Kevin523794523795

Last edited:

shade

I have not had a close look at a commercially produced soft sided pop up camper.

Do they use a gasket?
The GFC design doesn't. Whether open or closed, it relies on drain channels built into the frame extrusion. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with the design, and haven't had a problem myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94