Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

SBSYNCRO

Since I don't plan to fly my Jeep at 300mph, I'm less worried about drilling into my top. In fact, I'd wager that the Jeep already leaks more around the seals in a good rain storm than will ever be introduced by the hole I drilled and sealed with an electrical connector (and can easily be patched with fiberglass in the future if necessary). The SAE connector is definitely not ideal, but after 11 pages of this thread, I think its the best compromise based on my original spec outlined in Post #1.

But we'll see how things go! ????

Not about speed or anything else; I'm mostly a helicopter guy so we all-weather it for longevity and reliability. I think the OP said he wanted to be able to remove and reinstall and my point is that weatherproof is only as good as the initial installation; if you break the seal, your install is as good as the weather you reinstall in. Your connectors will work fine but if you induce a corrosive environment in and around the seal and inside the connector then you get exactly what you were trying to avoid by putting a weather seal connector in. The vast majority of those connectors are not for quick disconnect outside of Anderson and the trolling motor one.

Just saying I think there are better options on where you mount with what; just cuz we can, doesn't mean we should!

I look forward to seeing your installs though cuz I learn a ton from all of the experiences on the site.

Overland On my friends, Overland on!

john61ct

Adventurer
Find me a nice flush-mount female two-pin 10 or 12AWG Deutsch connector with a weather proof covering and I will replace that #$*&^ SAE connector in a heart beat! :D
I already did my best to match your conditions.

Without your being a bit more flexible in your requirements, Deutsch is apparently not a good fit for your use case.

I also would never want my receptacle pointing skyward, only consider a "horizontal bulkhead" if extending downward.

rayra

Expedition Leader
solarconnect014.jpg
solarconnect017.jpg
solarconnect020.jpg
solarconnect022.jpg

details in my build topic link below

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles