Weatherproof lightweight truck drawers. Bought or made what's out there?

roving1

Doesn't really seem to be much out there. Decked could work but they don't make it for any older vehicles and it seems to waste a lot of space in front of the wheel wells. The metal commercial solutions weigh ludricous amounts and this is going in a regular cab 1st Gen Taco so weight is paramount. It seems most home brew setups give no thought to weather proofing so those are a no go. Thought about wheeled containers but the few of those are absurdly priced but at least somewhat light.

Just seems like there should be more out there that doesn't weigh 400lbs.

Please share any relevant solutions or builds. I would love to see them.

Thanks

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I had a single full length drawer, 24" wide, made by a kennel company. They build weatherproof, lockable stuff all the time, and this can be moved to a new truck if I ever get one. Mine is stainless steel body and drawer with diamond plate aluminum top, locking drawer with provision for a separate padlock. Light enough that I could handle moving and installing by myself. Not cheap but worth it.

roving1

Thanks. Cool source I would have never thought of. I can maybe compromise on cheep but the weight of some of those all steel systems is a show stopper

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Mine is 6 feet long by 2 feet wide by about 12" high, maybe 13". I made it a bit shorter than the bed so that I can put things like tool bags at the end of the bed before I close the tailgate. The slide is almost full length (probably 5 feet extension), so the whole drawer is easily accessible, and there is virtually no sag when open. Unit is bolted through the bed floor and is hard to steal because you have to remove the (locked) drawer and drop the spare tire to get at the bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke