Weatherproofing truck tailgate and cap

nctacoma

Observer
Has anybody come across a good way to seal out water and dust from a pickup tailgate and camper shell?
I am getting a bit if water in the last 12" of the truck nearest the tailgate, it seems like it is coming through the back.
Is there any weatherstripping you can recommend ?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I used this...

http://www.cabelas.com/truck-bed-accessories-cabelas-tailgate-seal-3.shtml

s7_522229_999_01

But my cap's windows leak, so I still get water...

That Cabela's product works pretty well. Some tailgates are easier to seal than others. Spend the time to test fit some small pieces all the way around to get the right layout, then clean the metal well with rubbing alcohol before you start the final installation.

For around the shell, I purchased some custom rubber P-bulb material from an industrial rubber supplier. Much tighter seal than the rubber foam, and I'm sure it will last much longer. My older Flippac doesn't fit perfectly on my newer truck, and the bulb fills the gaps nicely and seals everything up. Check around the 'net. There are lots of sources for rubber seals. Pretty much anything can be sealed on with some Pliobond.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I have tons of experience with this - I design Tonneaus for a living..

I will tell you now that a 100% seal may not be possible - Dust will be the most difficult to control.

Tailgate seal will help and all are about the same - truXseal - Maxseal etc..
The main difference I have noticed is the adhesive tape, some are using an off brand hats adhesive most companies have changed back and forth between vendors over the years etc. So getting one with the best 3m adhesive is taking a shot in the dark but even the off brand adhesive is still darn good. These tailgate seals may make closing the tailgate difficult - especially at first.

To start Climb in the back - close everything up then look for light! Wherever you see light it will be a source for dust and water.

Make sure your seals on the cap run the complete length not a 1/16" - 1/8" short. Because of how this foam is installed at the factories it tends to shrink a tad bit.

What kind of truck do you have? - I can point you to the problem areas!

New GM's are virtually impossible to seal completely because of how the bed is constructed. Caulking will be about the only solution. Tacoma bed is one of the better ones but sealing against the top at the cab and tailgate is a struggle because the surface isn't flat.

Last edited:

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Im trying to keep water out of my shell/bed for camping in rainy weather.

I have an S10 with a Leer Cap. The perimeter and windows seem to seal pretty good but I get alot of water through the tailgate.

njtaco

Explorer
Someone around here had set up a filtered blower to create positive pressure inside his truck cap to keep dust/water out.

I just don't remember who. He had a website about his truck build and I think it was also about where he went with it. The truck, that is...

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Im trying to keep water out of my shell/bed for camping in rainy weather.

I have an S10 with a Leer Cap. The perimeter and windows seem to seal pretty good but I get alot of water through the tailgate.

A tailgate seal will help. Pay attention when you install it that you compress the seal all the way around.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Someone around here had set up a filtered blower to create positive pressure inside his truck cap to keep dust/water out.

I just don't remember who. He had a website about his truck build and I think it was also about where he went with it. The truck, that is...

Please someone post a link! Thats great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94