weird driving light operation ..

Total

Hi All : I installed a set of sideblinder led lights , equal to 470 Watts halogen per light , and 250 deg spread . I ran a wire off the high beam wire to a relay to turn on the lights with the high beams . Sometimes when I start the vehicle (daytime) , the driving lights will come on , but the switch is on low beam ? If I flip to high beam then low beam they will shut off . When they are on the high beam indicator is not on . If it dark outside they work as expected they turn on and off with the high beam lights and the high beam indicator works . Ideas ?

Attachments

• DSC_0282.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
On the chevys if you wire up the driving lights to trigger off the high beams it doesn’t work right because the high beams are used as drl’s. The driving lights will be on when you don’t want them. I just pull the drl fuse to solve that.

Maybe you’ve got something similar going on.
Pull the drl(daytime running lamps) fuse if you can find it and see what happens.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Sounds like you need more time with a multimeter. Check the line where you tapped the high-beam relay and see what voltages it registers under each condition: (Daytime, Lowbeams on; Daytime Highbeams on; Nighttime, Lowbeams on; Nighttime, Highbeams on). Maybe figure out where the daylight sensor is so you can do all these tests at once...

Did you add your own relay? Provide your new lights with their own ground?

As others have said, look for DRL operation that might switch on the high-beams differently in daylight, AND look for switched-ground behavior. Sometimes Highbeams-as-DRL's are implemented by putting the "+" side of the high beams to +12V, and the "-" side of the beams at ~+6v, so you're technically running the beams at half-voltage.

Total

hmmmmm , I am a electrician.lol . but looking at the wiring diagram for the vehicle , I believe the problem is that I used the Negative from the battery not the lighting circuit . Will check this weekend and post back .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne