Wet weather jacket advice please

jeepgc

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

My Berghaus Extrem needs replacing and I have no idea what to get.

Am looking for a waterproof jacket for walking with plenty of ventilation.

The only complaint I have about my Berghaus is the crappy zip, if my life depended on zipping this jacket up quickly, I would've died many years ago.

I walk in all weathers, so need something that I can layer up underneath when it's cold (around 0C/30F so nothing major) or to just put on in a Summer rain storm.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jeepgc

Adventurer
Yeah, thanks eatsleepwoof, that's why i've posted up asking - the choices available are overwhelming.

I wanted some personal recommendations on what people on here have been impressed by.

Good name btw, you could've added sniff to that :)

jgaz

Adventurer
As said above, there are a lot of choices. I like the reviews on this site. Seems to be mostly practical advice, at least to me, YMMV.

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-rain-jackets

I bought the marmot minimalist two years ago and love it for the hiking I do here in the SW. For me it was a great step up from my older marmot precip ( which also served my purpose). I don't usually have the rain issues of people in the NW, so for me the decision was based on packabikity, ventilation, and also price. I bought my minimalist jacket with a 40% of coupon.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thank you jgaz, been looking at review sites like that, but will take a look.

40% off - excellent discount!

I know you said that you don't have much rain, but have you used the hood in the rain and how is it? The hood looks a little on the short side, but that may down to the image on that site.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a Helly Hansen shell that I bought a few years ago, and I've been really happy with it. Easy to put on, comfortable, waterproof, but still breathes right. Can fit a decent amount of clothing underneath it if I want to layer up. There are similar options from pretty much all big outdoor-clothing brands.

What he said look at sailing gear. Most sailors today use a top thats sort of a hybrid between a kayaker smock and shell. Gasket at the neck that can be left open or closed to prevent water down your back, same at the sleeves and waist. There are varying levels of sealing and cost, all are typically pull over not zippered. Very thin then you layer under them the good ones breath the cheap ones are one step above trash bag with holes for appendages

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thanks for that Calicamper, I have been looking at some of the HH rain/sailing wear after eatsleepwoof's recommendation.

jgaz

Adventurer
jeepgc,

I've used it during a few quick monsoon storms in the Grand Canyon last year. The temp was warm and I was wearing broad brim park volunteer hat so I didn't use the hood.

However I hiked in a substantial rain last December wearing a baseball type hat and the hood didn't seem short

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have always had superb results from Cabelas branded breathable gear.( I have short and long jackets as well as pants) fair price for very good quality. Strong zippers, excellent stitching good designs. It has been years since I have had to buy a shell jacket and I wear mine a LOT (almost daily) in the winter and of course when it rains at work (I am in construction), camping, dirt bike riding, leisure and hunting. Not sure what will happen in the future since Bass Pro has bought them out and IME Bass Pro QC is lacking.

Darrell

jeepgc

Adventurer
Ha, the simple ideas are always the best.

I never thought of wearing a baseball cap under a hood, will try that, thanks for the suggestion jgaz and eatsleepwoof.

jeepgc

Adventurer
I have always had superb results from Cabelas branded breathable gear.( I have short and long jackets as well as pants) fair price for very good quality. Strong zippers, excellent stitching good designs. It has been years since I have had to buy a shell jacket and I wear mine a LOT (almost daily) in the winter and of course when it rains at work (I am in construction), camping, dirt bike riding, leisure and hunting. Not sure what will happen in the future since Bass Pro has bought them out and IME Bass Pro QC is lacking.

Darrell
Thank you for the recommendation Darrell, am checking out their site now - looks like a lot of great gear on there.

wildorange

Observer
Personally, I'd look at the RAB or Musto range, both are quality pieces of gear.

I do still own a Berghaus RG1 however for summer I primarily use my thin but very functional Rab jacket complete with roll away hood, complete with to chest napoleon pockets, can't remember the exact model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeepgc

Adventurer
Personally, I'd look at the RAB or Musto range, both are quality pieces of gear.

I do still own a Berghaus RG1 however for summer I primarily use my thin but very functional Rab jacket complete with roll away hood, complete with to chest napoleon pockets, can't remember the exact model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you wildorange, I've checked out both of their sites, but I need something longer and with bigger pockets.

Rab had a useful guide though:

https://rab.equipment/uk/guides/waterproof-jackets

jeepgc

Adventurer
I can't quite justify spending the money on the Halcon at the moment so bought a HH Seven J as it was on sale as a stopgap.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/seven-j-jacket-62047

Have been wearing it to walk the dogs in temperatures of about 23F (with a couple of layers underneath) a bit of snow and wind. No heavy rain yet, but am sure that'll change soon.

Pretty good, comfortable and keeps me warm and dry so far.

Hood's a bit short, but have been wearing a cap under it, so thank you for that.

Will update you when I'm out in heavy rain.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

villaphoto

I have a Helly Hansen shell that I've had a for a few years taht I really like. Before that I had a Patagonia shell that I loved, it was Gore-tex and it was incredibly comfortable. I typically shop sales, Patagonia runs 40% off their entire store a few times a year and that's where I get most of my gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles