What about a "DIY' Overland Vehiclel building round-table/workshop ?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
What's hard is looking at the build as a whole and not as a set of discrete tasks. For example; you can let the interior design drive the placement of the windows and doors or you can let the window and door placement drive the interior design.

There are a few ways to go about it.
For myself it is pretty simple, once broken down.

Most seem to start with a shell that they like visually, then make things work within that shell.
Unfortunately doing it this way all you are doing then is "settling" on a layout at the mercy of the shell.
You are not allowing the finish product to actually meet your needs. (form over function)

To solve this, I basically reverse engineer it, starting from the inside and working out. (function over form)
To me, this is the ONLY way to truly take advantage of the custom nature of a custom camper.

Otherwise, don't waste your time and money, just go buy a cookie cutter unit off of a lot and be happy (enough).
Most people do just that, and that's fine. But if you want a truly custom camper, you have to invest the time and money to do it right.

As I see it:

Lay out your goals, treat them as problems and creatively find solutions to meet as many of those goals in a camper that works.

Everybody has slightly different goals, so there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Though at the end of the day you still require a camper that functions properly.

Once pushing an idea to paper or CAD, I always start with the floor plan.
The floor plan must be livable. Period. And your style of Camping/RV'ing/Expedition Travel should dictate how the interior flows.

Once one or two rough floor plans are generated, placement of fixtures within the cabin are sorted.
Normally, the placement of these fixtures like appliances and cabinets will show you which floor plan works best,
as well as what overall shape the camper may take. Its a balance of needs, flow, and function.
You have needs, the floor plan must flow, and the camper must function.

Once a floor plan and fixture layout is finished, I push to structural.
Having the floor plan and locations of fixtures allows you to build the structure around those parameters.
During this stage you find where the wall and roof penetrations will be, how utilities will be run,
and it will uncover many options and potential problems that may send you back to the layout stage.
These are problems that you WANT to crop up. Otherwise, they will show themselves in the actual build, potentially creating serious issues.
Spending 2x more time in CAD than you thought required will save you time and money in the build stage.

All this is just the design phase.
Once a satisfactory design is found, you use the CAD design to calc materials lists.
Only then will you know what you are looking at for cost for materials.
And if you do more homework, you will also know what the camper will weigh finished.

Any questions, please feel free to hit me up. :)

B85

Adventurer
All great info and perspective ,IdaSHO.

I went a little differently. I started on where is it going to be used. Then what does it need to provide. And have been working out from their.

Building the Semi/RV has been the biggest help. Finding things that work and others that don't !

I'm working from the 160 Sq.Ft. = 20' x 8' box down to 16' x 8' . Its only 4 feet but it makes a big difference.

Randy

david506th

Adventurer
I will be at Expo West this year with our rig. We are one month into a 8 month trip. I also just finished a DIY Fuso build in three months and will be happy to talk with you or give a Q&A to anyone on what to expect, Prices, Materials, Vendors and such

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Just a quick suggestion, download NFPA 1192 which is the bible for manufacturing standards for RV. We have to use RV standards as there are no other that apply, and insurance companies recognize compliance with 1192. It gives specs for a lot of stuff like distances for exhausts from windows, window placement, materials, fuel storage, electrical, etc. It really can play havoc with a floor plan and appliances, desired window locations, etc. but somewhere there is a reason for the standard.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just a quick suggestion, download NFPA 1192 which is the bible for manufacturing standards for RV. We have to use RV standards as there are no other that apply, and insurance companies recognize compliance with 1192. It gives specs for a lot of stuff like distances for exhausts from windows, window placement, materials, fuel storage, electrical, etc. It really can play havoc with a floor plan and appliances, desired window locations, etc. but somewhere there is a reason for the standard.

Yep, and that's why my methodology uses the appliances and systems to help sculpt the design phase.

That said, for anyone that has any building/construction background, it is all pretty standard stuff.

Overload protections, venting requirements, egress requirements, etc.

B85

Adventurer
I'm reviving this thread. Because I now have my truck. 1996 LMTV M1078. Also still thinking about having a workshop at 2017 West Overland Expo it they will have me ?

IMG_3314.JPG

Been thinking about what box to use ? Custom built (something I can do), Ambulance box take off , Van body , other ?

I now have a idea I'm trying to work out. What about a box van and using the box off it and selling off the chassis ? Why ? Seam's to be more around than just take-offs.
Also looking at pulling the military bad off (3500 Lbs +- ) At 17,000 + the truck is a little over weight ! Ya think !

We more over at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155391-Its-a-dream-but-a-good-dream-! About the build.

So anybody up for a round table ?

Randy

B85

Adventurer
We can do that also. Some people just like to be face to face.

So I'm working on what to do about the bed on my truck ? It weights in at between 2500 and 3500 Lbs. stock. Been thinking about going box only. But then I lose the ability to use the flat bed ? Now I'm looking into a Aluminium bed and just set the box on top? I have been told it would be less than 1000 lbs.+- plus the box. What would you do ?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
B85 - the Overland Expo "build vs. buy" roundtables are always well attended. If you wanted to do a class, or hold a makers' roundtable they would be happy to have you - and actually pay you to show up even. You don't need to have all the answers, just be able to talk about what you are doing, what has worked, what didn't, etc.

My wife and I pay to be trained and get paid to do training every year - it's a two way street. You just need to be willing and have the ability to share what you know and help folks get answers to the questions that they have.

If you don't want to host the round table but would be interested in sitting on the panel let me know and I can submit it for Expo East.

B85

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer Robinsonfuso. Think you were up a the West Expo a few years back.

Trying to put one together for the Expo West this year ? Truck will probably be a skeleton but would make a good show and tell aid.

As for going east, not at this time. Maybe when the truck is finished.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks for the offer Robinsonfuso. Think you were up a the West Expo a few years back.

Trying to put one together for the Expo West this year ? Truck will probably be a skeleton but would make a good show and tell aid.

As for going east, not at this time. Maybe when the truck is finished.
I think the window is closing for the expo west class schedule very soon. If you want to do somethibg you need to get in touch with Alison asap.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I did put in for both a round table on truck selection and another DIY Overland Rig class. Got notified over the weekend that something had been accepted, not sure which one or both yet. But my classes are not usually structured point by point lectures. So anyone with experience is welcome to have their input. B85 I will contact you via PM.

B85

Adventurer
That would work for me, Oz. PM sent.

Maybe a on going round table over the 3 day's ? One in the morning and one in the after noon ?
One of the things I have had up at Overland is missing a class because of conflicts with others.

Could use my truck as the before/ during build ?

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles