What are you using for a coffee maker and coffee brand when camping/overlanding?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I normally used a AeroPress coffee press and like it , especially the clean up. But That works well for one cup. I'm a one or no cup of coffee guy. Not important to me.

My wife , who likes coffee, when travelling with me with me, I tried the Jetboil french press but did not like it. I did not like the clean up and the press let in a lot of grounds.

I went back to the Aeropress and I figured I'd use two to make coffee. Still not the solution.

I saw this Stanley French Press and thought to try it out. It is expensive at $60.00 but so far I like it. It makes good coffee the amount I need and keeps it hot.
if I let the grounds dry overnight it is not too bad to clean.

The top is not sealed so it will leak if tipped over but not a deal breaker. Now I have a coffee solution to make coffee for my wife for our trip to AK.

thumbnail.jpgthumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

DCH109

Adventurer
There are some fancy coffee makers on here. Wow you all take your coffee seriously.
I either use a percolator or just old school grounds in the bottom of a pot of water and bring to a boil. Filter it cheese cloth or something similar and drink. As for coffee type, what ever is a course ground at the store.
I am less picky these days and just enjoy it.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Back in the day, I would make "cowboy coffee" . A # 10 can , bring water to a boil , a pinch of salt , a large handful of coffee and let steep for a few minutes. Tap the side of the can a couple of times with the pot holder to settle the grounds and pour.

fredeharley8

Aeropress – I keep one in the back of the van with a meths Trangia and hand grinder. Possibly the slowest way to make coffee but when camping I’m up an hour before anyone else so it’s a nice peaceful ritual. Also comes in handy at services on the way, if we stop in the air with no cafe, day down the beach, or whatever. The bottle of meth lasts forever. You can check the reviews from here.
If weight is really an issue I make coffee “cowboy style:” Put ground coffee in a mug. Add hot water. Stir. Wait 5 minutes. Grounds have sunk to the bottom (a few taps on the side help. Drink, leaving the last 1/2 inch in the bottom of a mug. Works for me because I like my coffee strong and black anyway. You may get the odd speck of grounds, but this is camping, not a hotel.
Cost: £0
Extra weight: 0g

Kickapoo Tad

The fresher the coffee the better. Pererably my own roast. Right now it is a full city Timor roast. (If you know you know!)

However, if we are out long enough anything brown and caffinated will do!

NOPEC

We use a GSI folding silicone filter holder/(only with Melita bamboo filters) in the camper, MSR Dragonfly/MSR single cup reusable "Mugmates" when backpacking/paddling. We drink a local Kootenays grind when around our general area and usually Starbucks Fivebucks brand Pikes Place from big box grocers on longer trips. A few years ago, we did buy a bag of Tim Hortons brand in Ft Good Hope, NWT as part of a resupply when paddling down the Mackenzie river at about day 38. This stuff was 18 months past it's BBdate and kind of lumpy and brick like in the bag, but still, at that point it was it was some of the best coffee we have ever had!

Here are a pair of MSR Mugmates waiting on some well boiled South Saskatchewan River water last summer.
1654399147489.png

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
We use a french press that we bought on Amazon: link. It a stainless steel so it's unbreakable. It's insulated so it keeps our 4 mugs of coffee warm till the end of breakfast. We picked the wide bottom so it doesn't tip over during travel... Although the cylindrical version seems easier to save space. I admit, it takes a fair amount of space but this one was non-negotiable.
french-press-coffee-maker-F69ydwupS_ZbpA.jpg

Thinking it would be difficult to find coffee ground to the perfect size, we also purchased a manual grinder like this with adjustable coffee grind size:
ce0066c0-b712-479f-9e8a-ccd7bd49a014_1.ba687882600c12a0b2922b0ae2a88069.jpeg

It works out perfectly because it's just the right amount of coffee grinds for the coffee press.

It's not a "fancy coffee" like a mocha pot but it's simple and trouble-free. We picked it because it's what ressembles our filter coffee from home. We love a big mug in the morning.

RDinNHand AZ

Just watch out for the diterpenes!
Because we are older we use a paper filter. Aeropress, Chemex, grinder, fresh French roasted beans. Via if backpacking superlight.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I usually leave my stove out from the night before with a small SS kettle, a collapsable REI coffee drip. Get up in the morning, put a filter in the drip, boil water, plug in the coffee grinder into the power inverter, grind beans, put grinds into drip, pour-over and enjoy! Super simple and some of the best coffee ever! Location of where you drink your morning coffee certainly plays into the enjoyment factor as well.

Bigly

Wannabe
1661442738215.png

We use this cold brew system while traveling in the van. Fill the filter with coarse ground coffee and place it in the sink and surround it with old towels and such. Driving all day agitates the seep process to get a stronger brew at the end of the day. Pull out filter and put the coffee in the fridge then enjoy some cold brew in the AM. When we were in Baja last winter it's harder to find any shop that will grind you a bag so we got a small hand grinder like the one shown above so we can grind it ourselves and be good to go. Yum. This is the Takeya brand off Amazon and this one is BPA free plastic so it won't break on the road. We use a glass brewer at home.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There are some fancy coffee makers on here. Wow you all take your coffee seriously.
I either use a percolator or just old school grounds in the bottom of a pot of water and bring to a boil. Filter it cheese cloth or something similar and drink. As for coffee type, what ever is a course ground at the store.
I am less picky these days and just enjoy it.
Same here. We use a 20 yr old percolator. We shower with a 2 gallon garden sprayer. I have a manual shift,manual transfer case truck and my popup uses a Heco manual lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles