What are you using for a coffee maker and coffee brand when camping/overlanding?

another_mike

Adventurer
I use Keurig K45 Elite.
I am glad by this coffee maker. This brewer can be used to make coffee and tea in different flavors. To change the flavor, you only need to use a different K-cup. How convinient, are you agree? With this machine, you can choose from three different cup sizes, and it allows you to brew a cup in less than a minute.
So I leave the link on full review here:
well, aren’t we all looking for a coffee maker we can be glad by :rolleyes:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I use Keurig K45 Elite.
I am glad by this coffee maker. This brewer can be used to make coffee and tea in different flavors. To change the flavor, you only need to use a different K-cup. How convinient, are you agree? With this machine, you can choose from three different cup sizes, and it allows you to brew a cup in less than a minute.
Pretty sure that’s just a shill. One post, first post, and it’s a link to that site (which is why I removed the link when I quoted it)
lol.. I love my Keurig too but not for a camping. When I camp I want real coffee with grounds and stuff.
We take our Keurig camping all the time, lol.... Listen to HAL's comments above. He's got some sound advice... :rolleyes:

download.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a Keurig at home but I hate the cost and the plastic waste so I use a refillable cup. I'm pretty sure I haven't bought a K-cup in over 5 years.

But I wouldn't take one camping - too much work. Used to use a French Press but I got tired of trying to clean the screen on that one.

Eventually I just went back to the old tried-and-true Melitta filter system. The best thing about the Melitta is that it's easy, it's cheap, and it requires the most minimal cleaning. Basically just throw away the paper filter and grounds and then wipe out the cup and it's done.

Wife's not a coffee drinker so when I make coffee I'm just making it for me. If I had more people to make coffee for I might invest in a percolator or something but if it's just me I want something quick and easy.

I've tried instant but I just can't stomach it. Even after 23 years of drinking Army coffee, instant is just too nasty and bitter for me to enjoy. Honestly I can't believe anybody really "likes" instant coffee.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have a Keurig at home but I hate the cost and the plastic waste so I use a refillable cup. I'm pretty sure I haven't bought a K-cup in over 5 years.

But I wouldn't take one camping - too much work. Used to use a French Press but I got tired of trying to clean the screen on that one.

Eventually I just went back to the old tried-and-true Melitta filter system. The best thing about the Melitta is that it's easy, it's cheap, and it requires the most minimal cleaning. Basically just throw away the paper filter and grounds and then wipe out the cup and it's done.

Wife's not a coffee drinker so when I make coffee I'm just making it for me. If I had more people to make coffee for I might invest in a percolator or something but if it's just me I want something quick and easy.

I've tried instant but I just can't stomach it. Even after 23 years of drinking Army coffee, instant is just too nasty and bitter for me to enjoy. Honestly I can't believe anybody really "likes" instant coffee.
I agree. I have yet to find an instant coffee that I can stomach. My wife bought some little pouches at Starbucks and we thought we would give them a try and we both about barfed after the first taste. What's the saying "give me real coffee or give me death"

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The wife just picked up this guy for $5 at TJmaxx. I’ll report back how the coffee comes out. We have been just doing the pour over thing but figure this might be a little simpler... View attachment 551727

That's a "moka pot", I.e. stovetop espresso machine. It should have fine grind espresso, packed (tamped) tight, but not so tight that the steam forces the popoff valve to open. The proper packing of the grounds is the art. Done right, it produces the same result as pulling a handle and forcing the steam down through the grounds.

Been using moka pots since I was a boy scout 45 years ago. Yum.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
That's a "moka pot", I.e. stovetop espresso machine. It should have fine grind espresso, packed (tamped) tight, but not so tight that the steam forces the popoff valve to open. The proper packing of the grounds is the art. Done right, it produces the same result as pulling a handle and forcing the steam down through the grounds.

Been using moka pots since I was a boy scout 45 years ago. Yum.

Yeah first run was a disaster haha. Didn’t grind it fine enough or pack it at all. Second run turned out way better!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Even the guy that invented the Keurig system said how disappointed he was that there was so much plastic waste. Did not think of it when he started. I never bought one as I like more than one cup at a time in the AM. Camping I use a percolator type of pot that seems to make reasonable tasting coffee, similar to the taste at home brewed coffee. I use Colombian that I get from Costco.

CascadesTacoma

To properly brew coffee with a Moka Pot, watch some Youtube videos. Most will say don't pack the grounds and don't use too fine of a grind. Heat the water before you put the coffee holder in and screw on the top to reduce the heat the grounds are subject to before the water hits it.

As for us, we brew drip coffee when we camp (we have a fancy espresso machine at home). I grind the beans fresh before we leave for each trip and store them in an airtight container. A proper drip is all about water temperature and pour. For the beans, it doesn't matter as much about where you buy them as how fresh they are; if the bag doesn't have a roasted date stamped on, just avoid it (except for Illy, they seal the coffee in a can, no one-way valve, with nitrogen, I think). There are several online distributors which sell various roasters; the roasters get the order, roast the coffee, and ship.

We're mostly all on lock-down, even us in the Gulf, but I recommend De Espresso Liber to support a good cause.

EDIT: After flipping through other folks’ coffee routines, I may have to give the Aeropress a try. I have been avoiding it because we just have so much coffee gear at home.

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
To properly brew coffee with a Moka Pot, watch some Youtube videos. Most will say don't pack the grounds and don't use too fine of a grind. Heat the water before you put the coffee holder in and screw on the top to reduce the heat the grounds are subject to before the water hits it.

And most of those videos are wrong if one reads the way Bialetti and most Italians do it. I tried the heated water thing. Stupid. Use cold water.

Reactions: WVI

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
EDIT: After flipping through other folks’ coffee routines, I may have to give the Aeropress a try. I have been avoiding it because we just have so much coffee gear at home.

I‘m a self proclaimed coffee snob and I’ve tried about every method of making coffee at home that you can (aside from buying an espresso machine), and though I really like my drip coffee machine (Bona Vita with pre infusion), enjoy my French press, love my Hario pour over, the Aeropress hands down makes the best coffee I have ever made. Get one, you will love it.

LowKeyOverland

I generally use a JetBoil with the french press attachment, or boil the water in the JetBoil and make coffee in a BruTrek travel mug with a built-in french press.

For the coffee itself, I generally just try to buy a bag of something local from the supermarket wherever I am, and keep it in my kit until I use it up.

I also keep some Mount Hagen instant coffee in the kit for when I'm feeling lazy or don't want to deal with cleaning coffee grounds out of a french press. It's actually surprisingly good.

Here's a picture of my coffee setup, and one of the small cardboard box I store everything in when I'm overlanding or camping.
I also have a full write-up on my coffee kit at https://lowkeyoverland.com/my-overlanding-coffee-kit/

OMjok5HYpXmFkLf008EJvC050LBS3hI6O-2t_cdS9372ZDSZlZnTkqNOCN44u6T_fF8oR7Wgq5tKVgKcv4PhKWyz8P7Ce_a_YGRZmJeQE0_Mzq824fjjJVb-YuFMOOPDA8vVhslhumavQo_Q5WymSaG8XioMUWjHmLd20GRaZuKh5iRPPAOzKxz_BgGg48lPh-79UYt49BJOxBhe6kmusED9vCvv9-xbakPvBcQoPWg6J_AQ5Gjnpj6Bq64PVWW4Lls3dOgr5Smm3IGKQTfntVmHtcHQEmRzHFafmnjwSOmKBSxv_KucPqPQQ3e4d1FKECX2xpZYg40T1h_574qp3KGP4MRDLwmNG7zgpOKZOCNsGvDDq3GKYuL4S712r0Vv7KwcE_6XTNot-gGW4-tKrwJmpTato_GXSe_jaYYq0_18xC9ZriRQ9D2Xz_s3g1RMsBqHeVPLudDQYyllH4mcLiZN-2pJOobaGmUkqOQsnB_nEAo1bR3PgqpyBiEyNm2Oo5GYK-wy5TVJh483N3-MdRQTo0GuXDwhOh5DWFcy4OoZGPr4XdN-uAPZkHfVUEZXGPS6WJd6MZ7yEuxh9sq1x8clZd7pfLaorpCOvP8eP5iS_s38wwyz5Rlmfk8zdIVfxHrQUBKrHxeRNqIKtyTJGm1WSsL93aWW1G0Kg_IRh-eT6bFbq_r5HCxFgWpRqbaXCMRBhiETYNJqUo3DWQb_1e0b3TuMFcT45tWaqKXBYxd-oc4yXEGWGqSX=w757-h1009-no
sbmRnsmsW9Zk05xHD8PxjKGzWVEzTKqiRqkKoJdskVGMy4UvK1v-OseGogC-3paEnZOuqZ4VS4IVxOFxtpNREg72Rrb2R8tA9PT2EzARrc26Dmv6o1GYP_Rnv7JxTXP-CWHn1KKKdTQG3c9NW5aDi8BZH_OfRG9Kf0GiYy5samiylkAZDEILCdqxbUfv5EMl3pcYFTpi18vcJ2u5pZWXqkqu-tbIXf-soWM_tu9L3epliL6TfLigfidvU67VFVZHtcSEUJC96GGgvttVh9Bn3VXEU4WE19qlBdDZ8fT8c6Wxrvb9blhu9fPwSJNQbRdt4AzpGxqD3kpPfkOP38udZmmyBwUJ3a_ZyGzqJvbAc1bcGKKJ56G3RxpnjHwoQLqrgpNJFbHu2bJkmt_zunCpAeuU2t29Ihp8J4RZUPZ3l-mo89pvS9m_YVT_GXb8KYILRLq0G1-VAmBo8_w5Q0w8-ed9cUX8A9PajrUDsjKSv7-lCPrrN_zGMUqkpv6VnTaJOmj9LwUpzLnV7TYrcDNE3YoSocCf-FEU92MdgUdp_mjJ7rRxtnaUUpHJqgl9LfE5pnxNyyM53MFMT0VCAbQ5_FN8KkmLI2SX8RZYQVEAcs7J4NbqPhqr5kBh-yU4t66oJbf6s_3isBgSFQ07lhzmG2Q7Fcbc7FThGB85XYJgAbU8ybbG6Q4XGXX04aZuHIi_kcuuWrSlk6Cu2OXYc4VYZUGodR_aujMXmwDlDpOnegRupP9JNiRykKHX=w1346-h1009-no

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier