What are your clever storage systems/mods/tricks (aka not drawers)?

jeegro

Adventurer
Interested to hear about clever little ways you've modified your vehicle to make quicker and easier access to commonly used items.

For me it's all about vertical space utilization. I don't have a garage, I do a lot of work on my rig, and walking between the apt and car is a pain. If I put things in boxes I end up with piles of tools all over the seats. Well, I still end up with piles, but it's a little more manageable. So I use:

- Molle grids everywhere. I have rear window, cargo window, and cargo door window guards that work well with molle pouches. For example, my pouches:

-- ARB tire repair kit (got rid of that bulky blow-molded case),
-- air hose, deflators, inflation gun
-- common consumables (zip ties, batteries, fuses, rubber bands, etc)
-- wrenches
-- socket strips and ratchet
-- cleanup (towels, terry, wipes, gloves)
-- first aid kit
-- electrical (multimeter, clamp meter, tape)

I'll mount molles to the seatback, to grab handles, fridge handle, window guards... anywhere and everywhere.

Second, Front runner cub packs. These are tied down in the cargo area. I also made a cubby to fit two boxes, and the fridge slide goes on top. I don't like the wolf packs due to their annoying locking mechanism.
-- spare parts
-- kitchen gear
-- other bulky things

Third, gutted the plastic interior, added 1/4-20 rivet nuts everywhere, and use threaded eyelets (for cargo nets, securing things, ram mounts, quick fists)

Quick fists: water hoses, hatchet, etc

Ram mounts: iPad GPS, Inreach, iPhone, GoPro

Roof attic: hammock, sleeping bag, tarps, blankets, chairs

Then I also have a pelican case (free) and an aluminum box. Latter has food, former has food tools.

What I'm currently looking for is a good way to keep maps (specifically the USDA fold outs and the atlas's).

IMG_1291.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1466.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems like an amazing amount of unsightly clutter and expense and material on 'organizing'. As well as basically putting all your stuff on display for a thief.

I'd suggest you put in a platform with drawers, or some of those flat totes made to slide under beds or for storing gift-wrapping paper. The totes get it out of sight and allow you to use less or thinner pouches. The platform lets you stack other stuff on top without hindering access to those flat totes.

storagebuild120.jpg

jeegro

Adventurer
Seems like an amazing amount of unsightly clutter and expense and material on 'organizing'. As well as basically putting all your stuff on display for a thief.

I'd suggest you put in a platform with drawers, or some of those flat totes made to slide under beds or for storing gift-wrapping paper. The totes get it out of sight and allow you to use less or thinner pouches. The platform lets you stack other stuff on top without hindering access to those flat totes.

storagebuild120.jpg

Yeah, maybe. This works for me so far. Not a big fan of drawers. The cubby I built serves that purpose. Knowing me, drawers will end up just being a mass stockpile of crap. And when you're trying to find something little like tire deflators, its a pain in the *** if they're buried deep in a drawer. The molles help keep things compartmentalized by function, and have quick access when I need them.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Interested to hear about clever little ways you've modified your vehicle to make quicker and easier access to commonly used items.

For me it's all about vertical space utilization. I don't have a garage, I do a lot of work on my rig, and walking between the apt and car is a pain. If I put things in boxes I end up with piles of tools all over the seats. Well, I still end up with piles, but it's a little more manageable. So I use:

- Molle grids everywhere. I have rear window, cargo window, and cargo door window guards that work well with molle pouches. For example, my pouches:

-- ARB tire repair kit (got rid of that bulky blow-molded case),
-- air hose, deflators, inflation gun
-- common consumables (zip ties, batteries, fuses, rubber bands, etc)
-- wrenches
-- socket strips and ratchet
-- cleanup (towels, terry, wipes, gloves)
-- first aid kit
-- electrical (multimeter, clamp meter, tape)

I'll mount molles to the seatback, to grab handles, fridge handle, window guards... anywhere and everywhere.

Second, Front runner cub packs. These are tied down in the cargo area. I also made a cubby to fit two boxes, and the fridge slide goes on top. I don't like the wolf packs due to their annoying locking mechanism.
-- spare parts
-- kitchen gear
-- other bulky things

Third, gutted the plastic interior, added 1/4-20 rivet nuts everywhere, and use threaded eyelets (for cargo nets, securing things, ram mounts, quick fists)

Quick fists: water hoses, hatchet, etc

Ram mounts: iPad GPS, Inreach, iPhone, GoPro

Roof attic: hammock, sleeping bag, tarps, blankets, chairs

Then I also have a pelican case (free) and an aluminum box. Latter has food, former has food tools.

What I'm currently looking for is a good way to keep maps (specifically the USDA fold outs and the atlas's).

View attachment 416605View attachment 416606View attachment 416607View attachment 416608

I will be steeling some of your ideas ,were did you get the glass mesh protection on the rear door and the 2 rear doors?
Thx

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For stuff I want really quick access to (recovery gear, compressor), or that gets packed dead-last (like leveling blocks that get put away as we depart), I added a Pelican case to my rear rack:

EusfrRIiuiU0nqszMITebfKigO3b8XwemEjkJEKedGiqulLvmrpXdW5PeyFW549mekwRsOJJb9nhli425QwaLgHMzEXlwz5NE8G94zbYBEaDQaqO0cCXt-1HS3qKFn2jlvjvvd5l0GNB2ruV8ncuok9DgOgSEEBfiT_6VXIMzc20kP-edadKLPRp4BWJKoc44DJQn3DCQ-K43yZAqj6sVtMWKVJhRnUlv2CPr0-4bFzUXELsYSPtGkIXsXwl4-8OsogN6WKKESaq-7CNYLkD9N3CCS7ghyX1_qr5GcFRVPp8HMfidE_6ZvPslW_3M68TAQxBxGzMOwBqGeNj0dG2UalDEAaDIMj-IiaXTG9w2Ks-xj9B6ualj5xFmnWpA_qKCwPWIpZj0W0zZgjXje3JkMBxjiog6A0w7620EbFAmUGtmKorfZg9syATq5P0IgbaTrUNO8MoXvHUYeZ2t-VgoGERPZjWS07wjU5qWVLq21wS-XD2a2kkH2_CrxYSinedaMrMUd-C3hgui9E5f_1yfzyVat8FI5x1eYRWEds2Bf9v3Ds1gAEOK0u2q_ijlLmxyVL3AzsSp1OKMVPw6Ge1Gz9U6XXCnqYxGdzocnDGS0fz8sDL5BOoFQ=w450
Unu69sAUgUKmkeOncU6DOWf99K5itbz1YnC4jPeKvj-Xy_40h_uDPI2EEHo40Ma_XrypeIdylksAB41GJe4vKPD0EkTf7xr1o3sNeTLRgGG8s3yPJwQMM-GEVgCkjHLRDiOOnD1GH5C5S6TZNroOLBNoO0gPezyCbslz4OI34elBwzTvSc5sHZWb_QgoeNnWIfCoi3r8A2y-lDnHYj93HbcbKxOvuRQCoeGa7wim-aNOsfvk9Vx28VFPcH12Yr5tIMS5yMdYABOTsQY1BeyIThLALhIUGnG2wHF17Zy1nEjCsc2C4Hu4sesOHpLXvgGRmT-elJYwRNR4KLRQj3cIJYe4TrWczzWi3wmkQnIUcxmOcI6pL6HWomjPCPLH85-lvzTJJfjX8wRSHzFgZfqKB3CCX4Oj_JlLT7-_S4vl6lrvBdlHF06ZnT2iNbICxvwyZW75t_J4jRfUEtxu-no7Gm64keJvirHCPZQJGCBatqPCxq1KB3dwvYPLUVuIkQnZuwbCPl1I81E6SBjRUYHhwzFd7j6jzvWRiiVple9rYKycWL_8VJCLTWep7tWGSmfYYCAB75ZG2SVji16I1J1onDh1O7jnHXb44dPdBK_DkOH5-CKSb1ozhA=w450

I also made a little interior shelf for the case so that I can pull out the stuff from the bottom without everything above it collapsing down.

For the rear cargo area, I always make sure my plastic bins are perfectly sized to fit under the bed platform. In doing this, they act like drawers in that I can pull them 90% of the way out and they will rest against the platform without falling down. I don't have a good photo of my current setup, but here's an earlier revision that shows how the grey Rubbermaid bins function like modular drawers:
Mx0LSIr3Da25NF3ElUux9ix5QQRolPy9jqQjoD92IOYvRjTZmf5aoZyoZEqIjNg7ZuqmH64Ct-eTIT2W944JrA7RCwYPHYt7zIxCpYm3CakhJ2RacdWvp4xoVL8AuRxqEFxf5Nu3dZkeMQMi_4Gx5LihI01rqBEjpTuCSRbVtdgUVhKKsf57u3C6wkhqXGBdmMlOVYUhfvL7fsdOzA5Q0YpxRg7cpDgdE5kDfwghr5KxC7OoCjr-2cxUC25IwmXEzh5LL3aTv1dVrCt0a5pzTvJL8Y7sLHkdYlljhhaWGMRoZX3hgSTgqBq7BG54dmb-EWVxmsN8twE4Yi2Or8hX4IgE2dSXsy0dT13PIbdhcLRq5pyfrXGrX7k2pckvcCZjvNT2xBhszZv6oXOr8VoS9-hvuioU8QeIDNT59kY8wU03SMHLclsvbz-lv_N9jikY5CAiKqRRcT4KyChEvFyYsxJ3rcq0apMc5I7YtzJbGw6TR8PV1fUoZMrJXG3iq3ddyRN6ydw5PKZAlAioE9gp61D-VX-IqVtvqZ1XJrhLyZqE7u0cC6I1CzLnNbKR62yHTM1QjcyT5c69UhDdsPOGTtLoCwBgYcCsNwAlNIHGa48-gDUQmoH39y8krGY7Hb6BhKp_-tvN6V7f6YxKwDR3CnRXHt55c8dcikpXkY-1795vSio=w478

Similarly, making careful choices lets me maximize the space used in the interior under-seat area as well:
PLPvi0saipiPkdDKX7wS-sMqknY6CouubTVPKVzuS354F6tKGL9vn3kI93R-ZQaLdYSu_roFzwVjWe1QSv_a4B_ulc6IS3oY_8NlcKYyNsPKP19_dBoH3SahSB9oMZUWcoPul5sNk6KYilybik28og50ll50Bi88oE782YWJ_JaFqJgYqHmRvTJ0eDS9lUVEXMKtmignMEC1bfPDdguJNBgcVhLqm8c36qlO_bl6TsuEoOhZwUYJW8-eYfNssyZ6fE-kS4hlVP1pENe8zSBSpFeCGXAaF4EV44VvxG3gZ-EHv6VjcM_iMH0t_Vg_yXiSYSoZcXRJr-U_QNWYOOounF4TmbmIpPnXNYV07rGRaymfvY7-3Z3GJO8xLzEucVz9zZR1xWUo_Ms36kAUjjJFk-sD5P9ohy4fEaDLTCuQkuXuaGEIFEh0fNGWhPrOxFf8WJ_ICgQwrAbYk_kjC3l30I9NKDtKY_IgXbhigH84VCZLtyarTDPHwOc0GNgF_zJZ90QVOEF3jKEhNHzfwxvCwc0-vre35gunO6uCkmxLY3aa0s-of9FDrCsXDbUeMTnxlF1eO9Gi0YcRWanSkqTghRCIBnZKvWiWZwo2bfpSF24HJpIX9ZEtHEePNOzLtbwq9Xrp5O0iAw1840KMWFSAet7SY6dypMqmNVfIb84Uny4Jux4=w600

My "google-****" is strong, so I get a lot of mileage by making good "off-the-shelf" choices and only adding a few custom touches when needed.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Not a vehicle specific thing, but modifying a couple of our action packer totes helped make them more useful and helped locate small stuff that used to migrate to the bottom. Cost about a dollar for the elastic shock cord.

-MyoQuZFoLjppW68K-mTHgD3cX4XFMXet9kYGUFhAVvVPNt7c8hnxj7m7CIT57Z-nKZQ-PtZVeiODrEkufxoH0mZdWzTBH9K9dKcAkUGNGNJNrsY1Hc9_SxkxxtcPlpUuspZ21hELQ

HeR7-eBTG3f33vAnF0UEiCid7jR_bl2QEcRWzraczAxLN0mlDGSFj6K-QnsjB2qUzQrLBbudpk7jF4G4zvIDhIbi42lBjiiA1n2RhLMjDUMc7S3AGjXjijidmcFLRs_Oa9npHum51g

I really like this one. I might steal parts of it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yeah, maybe. This works for me so far. Not a big fan of drawers. The cubby I built serves that purpose. Knowing me, drawers will end up just being a mass stockpile of crap. And when you're trying to find something little like tire deflators, its a pain in the *** if they're buried deep in a drawer. The molles help keep things compartmentalized by function, and have quick access when I need them.

well I don't mean to argue about it. But my 'roadside emergency' drawer has a few bags / pouches in it, organizing gear by task. That drawer is chock-full of stuff, 4.5cu' worth and I can find anything I need in just a few seconds. Tool bag, recovery gear bag, tire patch / inflator kit, 1st aid kit, my awning kit, collapsible water jug and purification kit. All bagged and tagged.

storagebuild091.jpg

doesn't matter that it's in a drawer. Any flattish tote would do. My point was that a platform lets you keep all your 'take always' gear in place, under everything else that comes and goes. And when you need something it is easy to get to without having to take everything else out of the vehicle. . And instead of stuff being spread all over like a 'junk on the bunk' display.

There's a bunch of other aspects of the build that I think were 'clever', in terms of easy access and multi-use.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

Choff

Adventurer
In our Van we went with overhead cargo nets for clothes, that way no clothes bags in the way!!
Works for lots of stuff overhead

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 219

Cletus26

Adventurer
Not a vehicle specific thing, but modifying a couple of our action packer totes helped make them more useful and helped locate small stuff that used to migrate to the bottom. Cost about a dollar for the elastic shock cord.

-MyoQuZFoLjppW68K-mTHgD3cX4XFMXet9kYGUFhAVvVPNt7c8hnxj7m7CIT57Z-nKZQ-PtZVeiODrEkufxoH0mZdWzTBH9K9dKcAkUGNGNJNrsY1Hc9_SxkxxtcPlpUuspZ21hELQ

HeR7-eBTG3f33vAnF0UEiCid7jR_bl2QEcRWzraczAxLN0mlDGSFj6K-QnsjB2qUzQrLBbudpk7jF4G4zvIDhIbi42lBjiiA1n2RhLMjDUMc7S3AGjXjijidmcFLRs_Oa9npHum51g

How did you fish the cord around the corners?

jeegro

Adventurer
well I don't mean to argue about it. But my 'roadside emergency' drawer has a few bags / pouches in it, organizing gear by task. That drawer is chock-full of stuff, 4.5cu' worth and I can find anything I need in just a few seconds. Tool bag, recovery gear bag, tire patch / inflator kit, 1st aid kit, my awning kit, collapsible water jug and purification kit. All bagged and tagged.

storagebuild091.jpg

doesn't matter that it's in a drawer. Any flattish tote would do. My point was that a platform lets you keep all your 'take always' gear in place, under everything else that comes and goes. And when you need something it is easy to get to without having to take everything else out of the vehicle. . And instead of stuff being spread all over like a 'junk on the bunk' display.

There's a bunch of other aspects of the build that I think were 'clever', in terms of easy access and multi-use.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

I agree, it's a good setup. Probably what I'll end up with eventually - but for now I'm happy and focused on rebuilding my transfer case! Maybe I keep the floor I made, elevate it, and either put drawers or just be a platform to slide stuff under. Drawers might be an issue with my barn door fold down table. The pelican I got for free - it's nice - but bulky. However, I fitted the lid insert and have quick access to a bunch of little doo-dads which is nice (again, +1 for vertical storage space). I usually pull out the alu-box first, lay it down on the ground, pop the pelican lid, drop the rear table, and ready to go. Next up I either need a larger propane tank or a different burner. The coleman takes up 2/3 of the table with the bottle hanging to the right

Some good ideas in this thread!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne