What are your top 3 tools to bring for a recovery situation?

OverlandTrade

Hello,

I have been getting more and more into Overlanding/Off-roading lately. Mostly because I love really getting off the grid and enjoying some nice solitude in nature. However, we all know when your out facing the elements you need to be prepared, as there won't be a lot of aid from nature. What are the top 3 recovery tools that you think are a must have for any overlanding adventure?

I know this could vary on if you have multiple rigs or not, but any opinions on this would be great!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
1. Formal training
2. Wilderness first aid certification
3. Good recovery strap and at least three high quality shackles
4. Bonus: tire repair kit and onboard air source.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
1) Your brain. If your model is insufficient, you may wish to contract the services of another
2) Patience. This is infinitely more important if you are deficient in number 1.
3) vehicle and environment dependent... but a shovel is probably next on my list... possibly a hi-lift, but I think I usually grab the shovel first!

OverlandTrade

Yes, I definitely think general know how and discipline is important. I have learned a fair amount from other people I wheel with, but where else do you guys get training?

Shovel comes to mind as an easy grab for a tool, especially if your alone you definitely want a reliable one--along with a traction board. Do you that use shovels prefer short compact on longer shovels with more leverage?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
[QUOTE="OverlandTrade, post: 2709797, member: 212318

Shovel comes to mind as an easy grab for a tool, especially if your alone you definitely want a reliable one--along with a traction board. Do you that use shovels prefer short compact on longer shovels with more leverage?
[/QUOTE]

My training has all come from years of experience in bad decision making, much of it in a club environment. Better to learn from the mistakes of others.

I rarely get stuck now, because I have a spidey sense that tells me to turn around so as not to piss off my wife.

My shovel is extremely heavy duty, short d-handle, with a square blade, step/kick plates, and I ALWAYS sharpen every shovel with a grinder.

Depending on your location, keep the shovel out of the sun or the handle will go to ********, leaving you with a really nice piece of steel for whacking yourself in the face with when you need it.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Hello,

I have been getting more and more into Overlanding/Off-roading lately. Mostly because I love really getting off the grid and enjoying some nice solitude in nature. However, we all know when your out facing the elements you need to be prepared, as there won't be a lot of aid from nature. What are the top 3 recovery tools that you think are a must have for any overlanding adventure?

I know this could vary on if you have multiple rigs or not, but any opinions on this would be great!

Shovel
good jack
good rope or chain

Lucky j

Explorer
Tools for recovery:
-a winch and all that is required to use it safely
-a high lift jack
-a good solid roumd shovel.

As for what others have said about behing safe, patient, training etc, they are all a given and must come with any thing you add to your vehicule of list.

Ex: you do not add a winch w/o the know how to use it safely. Same with shovel, high lif, shackle, straps, first aid, etc.

The learning curve depend on what you bring and can be really steep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier