What axle is this?

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
What axle is this under my cherokee? I assume this is a dana 35 but I am pretty bad at identifying axles. Thanks for the help.

Bonus picture of the jeep in question.

cnskate

Adventurer
I've heard that if you find one from an XJ it's a straight swap, with the only possible complication being drive shaft length.

stomperxj

Explorer
I just got done with my XJ D44 swap. With that high of a lift, you'd want to take the time to weld on new perches so your can set you pinion angle and raise your shock mounts. Does it have an SYE? Is it an automatic? If so, you can use an automatic front driveshaft for the rear...

Ask me any questions you need to. I just went through that whole process 3 weeks ago...

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
stomperxj said:
I just got done with my XJ D44 swap. With that high of a lift, you'd want to take the time to weld on new perches so your can set you pinion angle and raise your shock mounts. Does it have an SYE? Is it an automatic? If so, you can use an automatic front driveshaft for the rear...

Ask me any questions you need to. I just went through that whole process 3 weeks ago...

I don't know about the SYE as i bought it mostly modified. Yes it is an automatic. I may just need to find someone local to me who would be willing to help as my welding skills are not up to par for this.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
How deep of gears do you want to go? If you need 4.56 or more, the D44 is the way to go.

HOWEVER, the later model ChryCo 8.25 is a fantastic axle...more than up to the task of 33's and a locker. Available in both 27 and 29 spline versions.

I ran a 27-spline lock-rite 8.25 for over a year on 33's with zero breakage. The guy I sold it to is running 35's now, and has still never had a problem...going on three years. A cheap alternative to the D44 or (superior IMHO) 8.8 swap.

-----Matt-----

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
IXNAYXJ said:
How deep of gears do you want to go? If you need 4.56 or more, the D44 is the way to go.

HOWEVER, the later model ChryCo 8.25 is a fantastic axle...more than up to the task of 33's and a locker. Available in both 27 and 29 spline versions.

I ran a 27-spline lock-rite 8.25 for over a year on 33's with zero breakage. The guy I sold it to is running 35's now, and has still never had a problem...going on three years. A cheap alternative to the D44 or (superior IMHO) 8.8 swap.

-----Matt-----

The jeep has 4.56 gears and is locked front and rear which is why I am worried about it. I have been going pretty easy on the throttle, but I don't want it to snap at a bad time. Thanks for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne