What brand/viscosity oil in your Montero?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I ran the T6 5W-40 for about 30k miles until it showed a rating for only diesel engines. Have been running the Pennzoil 5W-30 High Mileage the past 10-15k with good results. I am trying the Shell Gas Truck 5W-30 in my car and may also use it in the Montero if it runs well. Also comes in 5qt jugs instead of the gallon like the T6.

plh

Explorer
I ran the T6 5W-40 for about 30k miles until it showed a rating for only diesel engines. Have been running the Pennzoil 5W-30 High Mileage the past 10-15k with good results. I am trying the Shell Gas Truck 5W-30 in my car and may also use it in the Montero if it runs well. Also comes in 5qt jugs instead of the gallon like the T6.

Yeah, T6 is API SN (IIRC) rated for passenger cars so it passes requirements on cars that use catalytic converters. Any oil burning is not good for a cat or 3. Eventually it will trash your cat(s).

I have been running it in my '05 for more than 8 years & 100K miles, change every 3K, never below the full mark on the dipstick. Guess I am good until I'm not.

As always YMMV.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0W40 is my go to oil for everything.

its $27 / 5 quart jug at walmart with free shipping. barely more expensive than rotella and about 5 times better in every way.

read all you want on bobistheoilguy.com

Reactions: plh

Michael Brown

Yeah, T6 is API SN (IIRC) rated for passenger cars so it passes requirements on cars that use catalytic converters. Any oil burning is not good for a cat or 3. Eventually it will trash your cat(s).

I have been running it in my '05 for more than 8 years & 100K miles, change every 3K, never below the full mark on the dipstick. Guess I am good until I'm not.

As always YMMV.

The API SN rating is no longer current on the T6 formula. It now just has the 2016 CK-4 diesel specification. I just liked getting it cheap since both of my cars run the same spec.

Any full synthetic 5W-30 runs well in these engines. I change oil and filter every 5k miles and oil usually has a little color left. I only ever have to check and add ~1qt in between the oil changes. I did notice that the 5W-40 grade can help with the valve cover leakage.

I started running Pennzoil when I could get the 5qt jugs of full synthetic for $12 with their rebate.

plh

Explorer
Mobil 1 0W40 is my go to oil for everything.

its $27 / 5 quart jug at walmart with free shipping. barely more expensive than rotella and about 5 times better in every way.

read all you want on bobistheoilguy.com

Nothing wrong with Mobile 1.

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️?another vote for Rotella T6. The availability (everywhere) and great pricing (WalFart) can't be beat. If you're doing your changes regularly, which you should be, then its a no brainer to us this product. Yes it's Diesel engine rated, and also JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) rated which also makes it compatible with wet clutch applications in most motorcycle engines/ transmissions.
This is my point, , one brand of oil for multiple applications ??.
Just change your oils regularly and stop wasting your $$.
Merry Christmas everyone is ?‍♂️?. G.

Michael Brown

To me, oil changes and filters are more important over the long run than oil type or brand.

This ^^^^
I blow up engines for a living. They all eventually fail, but changing oil and filter more often is better than any brand used. Full synthetic has better heat resistance so it can last longer than conventional oil. The bigger issue is the engine wear and oil contaminates. No oil can reduce that enough to alter the change interval past 5k miles on these engines. Oil may not be as degraded, but it is still full of small particles that need to be removed. I also see no reason to not change filters at every change.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 95 SR with a Wix XP filter. As an additive I'll sometimes include the blood of my enemies and/or small furry woodland creatures.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94