What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

pulled the wheels on the jeep, painted the hubs/axles black, added hubcentric rings and a set of lug nuts that all matched.

before

after

then i wasn't happy with the wheel weights, so i ordered a bunch of smaller ones, removed the big ones that didnt follow the contour of the wheel, and replaced them with the same amount of weight, centered on the same spot, but with smaller weights that match the curve of the wheel better. id already lost one of the big weights. before ya say "paint the weights black" not gunna happen, i wanted silver weights. a bunch of em.

before

after

Last edited:
Installed a set of the JW Speaker headlights finally and can see at night now.

Ripped out all the carpet and installed the Bed Rug Vinyl floor kit. Really like it and cleans it up nice.

Last edited:
Re-did the whole exhaust on the ZJ. I still need to sort out a minor floor pan clearance issue with one of the mufflers, but that should be easy enough. And I'd like to get the end of the tailpipe tucked up a bit tighter. Other than that, it came together nicely. It's tucked up good and tight to the floor pans (lowest point on the mufflers / pipes is about 1.5 inches below the "frame rails").

Best part is, it's quiet. A bit quieter than the previous setup (which was a cat, a resonator and a large 5x11x22 Magnaflow muffler). New stuff is a cat and 2 medium size Magnaflow mufflers in series (a 4x9x18 and a 4x9x14). The bit of drone the old setup had is totally gone. It's as quiet as stock inside. From the outside, it's stock-ish volume or a hair quieter (compared to stock 5.9 ZJ exhaust) at idle, pretty quiet under load too. But it sounds good. I'll have to grab a video at some point.

Ripped out all the carpet and installed the Bed Rug Vinyl floor kit. Really like it and cleans it up nice.
How was the install? Do you notice any difference in heat and sound isolation? How did you decide between BedRug and BedTred?

Sorry for the bombardment, I've been really looking into these. No carpet currently, can't take the noise anymore!

Last week: Installed Teraflex Adjustable upper and lower control arms in the front, replaced ball joints, added adjustable trac bar
Today: Received new Bilstein shocks for all 4 corners
Tomorrow: Ordering Eaton Lockers (front and rear), new gearing both ends 5.13, Swap Dana 35 in the rear for Dana 44, order adjustable control arms for the rear, new Tom Woods drive shaft
Officially name the JEEP "Money Pit", "Black Hole" or "2nd Mortgage" for all of the $$ we are sinking into it!

YAY! A new project!!! The first jeep I've had in about 4 years, and the first automatic
Right now I plan on upgrading the wheels and tires to some that aren't bald, then take care of some maintenance issues and drive it. Eventually it'll be my camping rig.

New jeep by Tim, on Flickr

The stats.
1997 XJ Sport
4.0 HO
AW4 auto
NP 231
Non-CAD HP d30 front
8.25 rear
It needs... a radiator, tires, steering gear, brakes, paint, and a thorough cleaning
I already have a set of 5 16" rims off a ZJ with fairly new tires. Those will go on this weekend.

I'll start a build thread once I get things rolling on it.

UPS destroyed my Smittybilt trail cage . One call to Morgan at their customer service and a new one was on the way . I offered to make it work if I could get a new dash bar or a cover to cover the dents and scratches. "Sir , you paid for first quality and we will settle for nothing less !"was their response .I have a whole new respect for them .
We installed coil spring retainers, bump stops, and Bilstein remote reservoir shocks. Removed coil spring spacers and replaced goofy skinny metal fenders with Rough Country tube fenders. Next week 37 inch Toyos and a Poison Spyder carrier.

YAY! A new project!!! The first jeep I've had in about 4 years, and the first automatic
Right now I plan on upgrading the wheels and tires to some that aren't bald, then take care of some maintenance issues and drive it. Eventually it'll be my camping rig.

New jeep by Tim, on Flickr

The stats.
1997 XJ Sport
4.0 HO
AW4 auto
NP 231
Non-CAD HP d30 front
8.25 rear
It needs... a radiator, tires, steering gear, brakes, paint, and a thorough cleaning
I already have a set of 5 16" rims off a ZJ with fairly new tires. Those will go on this weekend.

I'll start a build thread once I get things rolling on it.
A daily/mild camp rig? 3" low center of gravity trim on 33x10.5 was my best set up for that. Could go almost everywhere and still got 400 miles to a tank on the highway. Definitly interested to see where you go with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk