What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

ca11fecdc692b5bb2849ce037b1270fb.jpg
e5d32d3189d28911a6f8a05ac2ad2424.jpg

Fabbed up a quick bracket to replace the snapped bar pins on the rear shocks of my XJ.

Trying to think of any better methods of mounting the shocks without cutting into the cab, otherwise may remake these a little bit beefier and weld it directly into the factory crossmember system.

theksmith

Explorer
Fabbed up a quick bracket to replace the snapped bar pins on the rear shocks of my XJ.

Trying to think of any better methods of mounting the shocks without cutting into the cab, otherwise may remake these a little bit beefier and weld it directly into the factory crossmember system.

had that same problem on my XJ that came from Ohio many years ago... both sides snapped the bolts off up inside the unibody when i tried to remove them. i fabbed up a quick solution kinda similar to that JKS product. mine was just a piece of square tube welded between two vertical plates. i bolted each plate to a "frame" rail on each side of the unibody and then put a couple long bolts through the tube for the upper shock mounts, one pointed forward and the other pointed to the back.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader

had that same problem on my XJ that came from Ohio many years ago... both sides snapped the bolts off up inside the unibody when i tried to remove them. i fabbed up a quick solution kinda similar to that JKS product. mine was just a piece of square tube welded between two vertical plates. i bolted each plate to a "frame" rail on each side of the unibody and then put a couple long bolts through the tube for the upper shock mounts, one pointed forward and the other pointed to the back.

It's a very common XJ (and others) issue. My '01 had two broken and the other two snapped when trying to remove them. I'm cheap so I fabbed a similar deal for mine. I took it a bit further by removing the body brace and sandwiching the "frame rails". It gave me upper shock mounts and upper brackets for airbags.
c9e2aa53d1d305e7834ce085f138b564.jpg
bec3379c6f67681c711c1b52cdf3bdf1.jpg

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that rail style more while considering the geometry of the shocks. The current setup doesn’t ride bad at all, just thinking long term durability as well.

Lucky j

Explorer
Not today, but lately.

I had misfire and other code issues with my 2005 LJ. Something that was solved last year, but came back with a vangence. So I went to basic. Check if I had installed the propect spark plugs, with was ok. But decided to look at the gap. Dang, that thing was all over the place on all spark plugs. With an average of 0,60. Adjusted everything as per the hood sticker, reimstalled everything, erase all the code, and after a few drives that totales about 250 miles, nothing has come back.

Time will tell.

f06e44ebbc139f3be09cfbdc40fdab80.jpg
b32db79de3ffcbd5399d0c277e26473a.jpg
dd19f82b526b18049ace641cd981fe45.jpg

My dometic 30qt drawer fridge came in today. Fitted it into the XJ camper build so that it minimizes space gaps and sits flush. Also started cutting and fitting the aluminum tubing around it for the overland platform I I’ll be welding up. Look up @overlandhistory mine will be similar to his in terms of layout in the rear.

American Jeeper

Finished a little video of some moderate trail runs in the JL I am building for overland. There was a big group of AR Overlanders there doing runs. The JL with its extra size won’t be the best on narrow trails, but I think it’s going to be a great platform for overlanding and camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles