What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
Yeah.. the geometry is gonna be the butt kicker. Thankfully math isn't my strong point. Haha. I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error on this. Sadly it may get mothballed for a bit when we move next month. But I'll keep working on ideas if it turns out to be too tough a nut to crack.

Just brainstorming here but I'm envisioning a 2 step solution. You could experiment with heavier duty hatch gas struts for the hatch and incorporate some kind of ratcheting mechanism into the stem of the strut to prevent closure. The 2nd step would be to build a low profile joint that attaches the tire carrier to the back side of the roof rack that allows the hatch to act as a lever when you open it. If you can dream it, you can build it.

AaronJ

Yeah.. the geometry is gonna be the butt kicker. Thankfully math isn't my strong point. Haha. I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error on this. Sadly it may get mothballed for a bit when we move next month. But I'll keep working on ideas if it turns out to be too tough a nut to crack.
I've seen the support attached to the hatch itself (steel version) and then the tire mounted to that. The extra weight is managed by an additional trunk gas strut (so 3 in total, the 3rd being stronger than stock). Worked out very well.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
^@ elliot and @ Aaron...
The issue with that is it puts the weight on the factory hatch hinges. I don't believe they are up to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

greasypete

Made a spotter cam:

25046833513_b1450dbc8f_c.jpg

25372734890_3142649bbd_c.jpg

Pete

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
That's an awesome idea! Hopefully it survives the daily blast of road debris. How'd you hook that up?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
Out for a quick getaway this weekend. Getting some use out of the trailer before it gets too hot out.
99fd55ca17899cc2878b96b3e6bb8720.jpg
26fc97454f460ec8e36406b4f3d18da7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

MuckSavage

Adventurer
In January, I added an '07 XK Commander to my Jeep Collection. This weekend I installed a small lift & 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It brought the Commander to how it should look!

Last edited:

greasypete

That's an awesome idea! Hopefully it survives the daily blast of road debris. How'd you hook that up?
I hope it will hold up. But anyway, the camera is a cheap, waterproof one from amazon. Even if it will get damaged, its worth a try.

I mounted it on top of the crossbar and connected it to the radio as a "baby cam" via the lock-pick. Hope that helps.
25554856652_3a092cd890_c.jpg

So rocks will first hit the underside of the crossbar. I wanted to use it for crawling, so when I wipe the road dirt of at the start of a trail, I think it will stay for that purpose clean.
Pete

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I hope it will hold up. But anyway, the camera is a cheap, waterproof one from amazon. Even if it will get damaged, its worth a try.

I mounted it on top of the crossbar and connected it to the radio as a "baby cam" via the lock-pick. Hope that helps.
25554856652_3a092cd890_c.jpg

So rocks will first hit the underside of the crossbar. I wanted to use it for crawling, so when I wipe the road dirt of at the start of a trail, I think it will stay for that purpose clean.
Pete
If you do end up wheeling in muddy, dusty areas, you could always rig up something along these lines:
http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/weird-stuff-red-raven-remote-control-motorized-wireless-roll-off-goggles-just-press-a-button-and-youll-get-a-clear-view-especially-if-you-press-the-kill-button-by-accident

I had the Scott version of this, and it was a bit too far ahead of its time. But I'd think by now the technology is there.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
In January, I added an '07 XK Commander to my Jeep Collection. This weekend I installed a small lift & 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It brought the Commander to how it should look!

Nice. My Daily Driver is a 2005 WK with a small lift and some nice meaty Hankook AT's. I love it, especially with the 5.7L Hemi. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94