What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Finally got around to rebuilding the fuel pump stems. They were rusted out and finally started to leak recently. I drilled out the old and made both leads 5/16", then used steel to nylon compression fittings. I ran the nylon forward just past the proportioning valve then rejoined the steel. I wasn’t sure if the compression fitting would seal on the old rusty lines, I sanded them as much as I could but they still had small pits. No leaks. The brass ferrules are soft enough to still seal up even if the surface isn’t perfectly smooth.
I also broke one tank stud off during removal so we will see how it does with one missing. I bought a new tank seal and added sealant around the broken stud area.
When rebuilding the hanger I welded the 5/16" to the old 1/4" return line for stability, then put one very small bead at the very top (on the face facing inside the tank) for the high pressure line. I did not weld around the stems where they pass through the cover on the outside because I didn't want to risk melting the connectors or sensors. I used JB Weld on the outside after sandblasting the plate thoroughly. The welding holds them in place so the JB Weld should work just fine to keep a seal for emissions. Also switched the nuts to stainless locknuts.
IMG_3531.JPGIMG_3506.JPGUpdate: so far the broken tank stud isn’t causing any trouble. No emissions codes. I think I’m good to go for a while.

Last edited:

JAVYPRO

Observer
Me? damn it!!! work on the stupid and cheap valve cover gaskets I put on the 1990 LWB a short while ago. They don't seem to have the right shape or form to stay put and seal the valve cover, it was leaking on the passenger side creating a mess and a burning smell that was driving me insane to say the least.

I tighten the valve cover a bit more and it seem to have helped with the leak but I will have to remove them in the very near future to replace them yet again but this time I guess with Mitsu parts as I have heard they offer a better seal.

Now, when the time comes to replace the valve cover gaskets I want to also replace the valve seals as I know one of them is bad and will replace the lash adjusters hopefully with the improved ones.

Javy

ChargerX3

Observer
I joined the SWB ranks. That count?

WX3TPB6.jpg

50short

I installed battery hold down, air cleaner, interior light bulbs and wiper blades. I bought T-Belt / Water pump kit, valve stem seals, brake pads, drive belts, all fluids and am preparing for my build.

Attachments

• 1E583A0A-5AFD-402B-B2CE-4FBEDDF04549.jpeg
    1E583A0A-5AFD-402B-B2CE-4FBEDDF04549.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 22

Swift_45a

Observer

What does it take to run 37s on a Gen2? That looks tough as hell, I thought 35s were what I eventually wanted to run when I make the SR a dedicated off road truck, but that just looks right. Is that a custom fab front bumper/splash guard? I have to say I'm a much bigger fan of the flared Gen2 SR flares than the metal ones on the 2.5, they look way more aggressive.

Edit: Of course, its Toasty's work!

Oh, I bought a roof rack for the 2,5 (I need to free up some cargo space) after having looked at this on Imgur:

SWB Pajero takes on Central Asia, I got all warm inside seeing the old girl in this.

Last edited:

AZPAJERO

Observer
What does it take to run 37s on a Gen2? That looks tough as hell, I thought 35s were what I eventually wanted to run when I make the SR a dedicated off road truck, but that just looks right. Is that a custom fab front bumper/splash guard? I have to say I'm a much bigger fan of the flared Gen2 SR flares than the metal ones on the 2.5, they look way more aggressive.

Edit: Of course, its Toasty's work!

Thanks man. So the journey to my current setup reads sort of like this.

My '97 SR came with dreaded 4.27 gears which I ran with 33x12.50 with no real issues. Little sluggish but nothing crazy. Some 4.90 gears popped up for cheap and I jumped on it and moved to 35's. It was GAME CHANGER........ and I loved the setup. Only problem was the plastic cladding fender flares were getting shredded worse and worse with each trip out and the 20 year old clips/glue underneath was nightmare to keep up with and maintain.......so after few beers on Saturday night I decided I'd just rip them all off......... :oops::oops:....now I'm driving around with 87 bullet holes in my truck :ROFLMAO::cry:

Anyway....... shortly thereafter.....AZCrew Mechanic in Chief Ernest bought some Portal Axles and was going to run 40's, but only way he could justify that 'fun project' was if he could unload his setup....which was deep 5.29 gears from Hyundai Galloper , Detroit front locker, 17" wheels, manual hubs, bigger brakes from Montero Sport.......and since my hands are too soft and delicate to attempt anything of that nature I needed his expertise to install it all.

So that swap happened back in May and I've put roughly 5000 miles on it since and it has performed flawlessly. I took it on 2200 mile road trip in August and went over 4 mountain passes and averaged 65/70 mph the whole way. I was toggling the OD button few times but overall it runs exactly same as 4.90 and 35s.

And yes.....Toasty is a talented dude and does outstanding work. He's responsible for my tank lift, rear bumper (soon to be swing out), rock sliders, and front bumper.

Swift_45a

Observer
Thanks man. So the journey to my current setup reads sort of like this.

My '97 SR came with dreaded 4.27 gears which I ran with 33x12.50 with no real issues. Little sluggish but nothing crazy. Some 4.90 gears popped up for cheap and I jumped on it and moved to 35's. It was GAME CHANGER........ and I loved the setup. Only problem was the plastic cladding fender flares were getting shredded worse and worse with each trip out and the 20 year old clips/glue underneath was nightmare to keep up with and maintain.......so after few beers on Saturday night I decided I'd just rip them all off......... :oops::oops:....now I'm driving around with 87 bullet holes in my truck :ROFLMAO::cry:

Anyway....... shortly thereafter.....AZCrew Mechanic in Chief Ernest bought some Portal Axles and was going to run 40's, but only way he could justify that 'fun project' was if he could unload his setup....which was deep 5.29 gears from Hyundai Galloper , Detroit front locker, 17" wheels, manual hubs, bigger brakes from Montero Sport.......and since my hands are too soft and delicate to attempt anything of that nature I needed his expertise to install it all.

So that swap happened back in May and I've put roughly 5000 miles on it since and it has performed flawlessly. I took it on 2200 mile road trip in August and went over 4 mountain passes and averaged 65/70 mph the whole way. I was toggling the OD button few times but overall it runs exactly same as 4.90 and 35s.

And yes.....Toasty is a talented dude and does outstanding work. He's responsible for my tank lift, rear bumper (soon to be swing out), rock sliders, and front bumper.

Him and Eurostar need to do a rig and send it to SEMA right next to those ICON dudes, if someone saw what a capable Monty was able to do for 1/2 the price of those LC I think we'd see some aftermarket support immediately.

Yeah, dude, it looks awesome; I think I'll stick to 35s when I'm ready to upgrade. I want to keep my fender flares on my SR, any advice? I don't mind trimming and rubbing, for a Nissan guy that is just to be expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles