What do you really NEED for overlanding

steelhd

Observer
....but the truth is I’m in the 95% on road, 5% off road (if that) we do 1-2 roadtrips a year.

Drinks, food, way to cook food, place to lay your head. The rest is just stuff. Dont get caught up in the overlanding ****************.
For people that stick to well used campgrounds and roads it all may be just "stuff". I'm no overlander but I spend a lot of time miles from help while fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, etc in all weather conditions and it's my truck that takes me to those places. The fact that mistakes, accidents, and miscalculations happen is just a fact of life and Ive had some close calls. Getting back home and being above ambient temperature when I get there is worth carrying a bit of "stuff" that I've slowly collected over the decades makes it well worth it.

Smileyshaun

Observer
not to step on toes but all you really need is a sense of adventure and let someone know where your going . you can drive thousands and thousands of miles of forest service roads and see soooooo much and explore to your hearts content without ever putting a rig in 4x4 . don't get caught up in what everybody else does. What is essential for someone in the mountains might be worthless for someone exploring the desert. I probably logged more miles in an 89 Toyota Camry on forest service roads exploring them most people in decked out rigs ever have , not trying to sound cocky but you don't need a lot to get out and have fun .

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
For people that stick to well used campgrounds and roads it all may be just "stuff". I'm no overlander but I spend a lot of time miles from help while fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, etc in all weather conditions and it's my truck that takes me to those places. The fact that mistakes, accidents, and miscalculations happen is just a fact of life and Ive had some close calls. Getting back home and being above ambient temperature when I get there is worth carrying a bit of "stuff" that I've slowly collected over the decades makes it well worth it.

I can only speak for myself but I made it just fine for 30 years with no in reach, spot, sat phone etc by having common sense and letting the same 5 people know each time I went somewhere where I was going, how long I would be gone, my vehicle info etc. I backpacked and backcountry camped in glacier ntl park for three weeks when I was 18. I didn't camp there in mid nov but again a little bit of common sense and knowing how to read the clouds plus a $50 casio watch with a barometer and paper maps kept me perfectly informed. There are many people every year found after they died or on the verge of death with a dead smart phone, gps etc because they counted on a cell signal to save them. My point is people are becoming way to hung up on ******** - gadgets and crap they see online they are told they need. Perfect example I have a 30 grand tent trailer and it's awesome. I've spent just as much time in it as i have a second hand 2 person cvt rtt and have just as much fun in both as I did when I slept in the back of my busted ass xj at 25 weekend camping and fishing in the Ozarks. So yeah, stuff is cool but it doesn't guarantee fun nor safety.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
This is all you need to "Overland." Otherwise you are just camping.

donaldcon

Adventurer
My opinion a winch is a need for solo trips. Even witj being cautious you can get stuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stryder106

Explorer
Everybody has opinions and preferences - full gear, minimalist, somewhere in between. The best advice I can give you is to really think through what you are planning to do, where you are planning to go, for how long, who with, and a have a realistic assessment of you and your rig's capabilities. Preventive maintenance goes along ways towards avoiding issues on the trail/road. We do a lot of solo stuff in very remote environments so the ability to self recover, self repair, communicate, and survive (if things go wrong) are priorities.

Look to try and find items that are multi-use. For instance, a SPOT communicator can communicate that you need help, but a Garmin InReach can communicate that you need help, allow you to two way text with EMS and family/friends, and be used for navigation. When things go wrong, they tend to do so in a hurry. Unfortunately we had to use our InReach, one man died, but the other is alive because we were the only ones who were able to get EMS and evacuation to the site.

Another multi-use tool: an air compressor. This allows you to change air pressure for the conditions which improves your ability while reducing the risk of getting stuck as well as puncturing a tire. Which then reduces the risk of self recovery or having to repair or replace said tire. It doesn't have to be fancy - just effective. A recent trip on a remote washboard road in the desert I came across an Indian family who had blown two tires in their Nissan XTerra. He had one spare and no idea how to change the tire, where the jack was, or even what it was. They had no water. I plugged one tire and inflated it with my compressor; then had him watch and help me change the other so he could learn. I checked his tires - 8 years old, nearly bald, and cracks on the sidewalls, and running at 40 psi. After sorting out his tires, I showed him how to drop air pressure (to 26) and why it's a good idea to do so; and I then gave them 8 bottles of water and a pulled the dad aside to let him know that he needs to be more prepared when bringing him and his family into these environments.

IMHO - always carry a paper map of the area you are exploring and know how to read it. They are lite, compact, and never break.

In our last three trips, we have had to use: InReach, Hi-Lift, Tire Repair Kit, Air Compressor (but we always use this), and Extra Water - all for other people. Often times, the gear you carry gets used for folks other than yourself.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
It’s all good brother lol I appreciate it. Here’s the truck btw!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man those Tacos look great... I wish the Tudras were just bigger Tacos..Guess I'm getting old.. all these new (big) trucks looks goofy as hell to me. The new Titan is terrible.

slomatt

Adventurer
Here are my recommendations for what you *need* to get started in offroad travel.

1) Sense of adventure.
2) Common sense.
3) Knowledge of the principals of tread lightly and leave no trace.
4) Let someone know where you are going, and when to expect you back.
5) First aid kit
6) Fire extinguisher
7) Water

Beyond that, it's pretty much impossible to make any recommendations without knowing your level of experience, the level of risk you are willing to take, and the types of trails you want to travel on.

Your truck is very capable in stock form and can get you very far into the backcountry, just go slow and if things are feeling sketchy then stop and evaluate the situation. There's nothing wrong with turning back and trying again another day, and in fact that is a really good way to get familiar with offroad travel and to really determine what gear and mods you need.

You can have a great time camping with just a blanket and a pack of hot dogs. More advanced gear will increase your comfort level, the amount of time you can stay out, and the range of temperatures you can camp in.

It's really easy to get bogged down thinking about all the "overland" gear you could possibly buy, but in my opinion the best plan is to just get out there and find out what works for you and what you really need. You'll spend more time on the trail this way and probably save a lot of money.

Have fun!

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Good Lord... SMH
Load the back of your truck with water so you don't die of dehydration, fill your gas tank, go have fun, when gas tank half full go back to nearest town refill gas tank, have dinner at nice restaurant, get a room, rest up, next day; repeat.
Not that difficult.

Mickey

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
-recovery gear
This is one area where I don’t exactly know how much or what recovery gear I need.

-satellite phone (since I’m on my own).. not sure if it’s overkill but good for peace of mind.
-ground tent, food, things to cook the food with.
-Good ol’ classic cooler..
-basic first aid things..
-cheap little air compressor
-tools?

-As for tires, are the stock tires sufficient? I think this is one area where it may be more of a want than a need. I was looking into ******** cepek extreme country 255/85/r16.

-And lighting, only because last time I was out on a dirt road I couldn’t see anything. It was so dark I felt like all my lights were turned off.

-sliders/armor, necessary? I have a front skid plate. Don’t plan on rock crawling but I’m afraid of running into a situation where I’ll need them.

I’ve done thousands of miles of “on-road” road trips, not so much off-road. I’m planning a trip to Death Valley which sparked this thread. I suppose I should call it explorative camping lol. I’m sure my mind wanders off into the Himalayas, but the truth is I’m in the 95% on road, 5% off road (if that) we do 1-2 roadtrips a year.

So I don’t really know how to go about making it great on/off road without going overboard on something I don’t need.

Personally I hunt for places without phone service and have no use for a sat phone, get one if you want - personal choice.
I typically head out alone and have rarely needed a winch for myself... this is where knowing your, and your vehicles' capabilities and common sense come in..
Basic first aid? start with training checkout first responder training where you work (free classes?). IMO any first aid kit (FAK) worthy of its name should be a trauma kit... also include some vet wrap (ace bandage for animals) one of the most used items in my kits, along with Providone iodine (forget triple antibiotic ointment) in my FAK.
RE; air compressor cheap is rarely compatible with reliable (at least go mid grade on the air compressor) also carry a spare tire, along with a plug kit and spare plugs, and don't air down below a pressure that you can limp to "civilization" with.
Tools, without the knowledge/skill to use them, are just extra weight, IMO.
Start with basics like jumper cables and a hose/siphon to transfer fuel then go from there according to your knowledge/skill level (I can fit the wenches/socket sets etc, needed to almost completely disassemble my vehicles in a relatively small .30 caliber/7.62 mm ammo can; no need for big boxes of mechanical tools.
Be certain that your OEM jack will work under water and in axle deep mud (common sense should be used well before the mud gets hub deep).; I do not bother with hi-lifts; I do carry a hydraulic bottle jack that will work on its side along with a 6" piece of 4x4 to use as a wheel chock/jack extension.
As mentioned frame mounted tow/recovery points should be mounted front and rear (I have personally pulled off trailer hitches, so I do not support using them for recovery).
At a minimum carry 2 rated shackles and a kinetic (snatch strap) or rope (can also be used to tow).
Winches are often seen but should be rarely needed when the vehicle is properly equipped and driven, IMO.
Fire extinguishers seem like a good idea, and I carry one; but I have seen more vehicle fires extinguished with dirt than extinguishers.
If you are going to use AT/street tires; or low flotation; narrow, vertical sidewall tires; traction mats/boards are likely a good idea.
Personally I have never needed nor used an ax or hatchet in (more than 50 years in) the woods, I do not need to drop trees (although I do occasionally push over a standing deadwood snag); a foldable compact bow saw (large svensaw) serves my needs - personal choice use what works for you.
Other things in my mini pioneer kit include a mini pick mattock and a USGI trifold e tool; larger tools can make the work easier but I 'm not going for the purpose of construction (the only time I carry a full sized spade or sand shovel is when wheeling in bumper deep or deeper snow, although I would likely carry them if tracts of loose, powder sand are along the route).
For an emergency vehicle flash light a very long run time LED converted ex-military, 2 D cell, angle head works well in each vehicle (replace batteries yearly).
Never needed a water filter, or collapsible cup when vehicle camping. I do sometimes have a small daypack & munchie bag along for short hikes... choose the accessories that work for you.
Spare fluids are regularly carried, a container of radiator stop leak is usually along for the ride.
Spare U-joints are always carried, hoses and belts have improved over the last 40 years so I rarely carry spares, any more; but regularly inspect those on the vehicles for signs of degrading.
Under armor has never been needed by me; although I will likely install some rock rails on the newest old Jeep.
My fire starting needs are well served by a couple of full sized BIC lighters. (for emergency Foul weather fires some Trioxane tabs (difficult to find any more) reside in the bottom of the canteen cover).

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier