What do you really NEED for overlanding

rnArmy

Adventurer
You should still consider a winch. It can get you out of a situation in minutes with minimal effort compared to possibly hours trying to get unstuck with jacks and boards and such. It'll only take once with a winch and you'll be thinking it is the best thing you ever bought for your vehicle.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
You should still consider a winch. It can get you out of a situation in minutes with minimal effort compared to possibly hours trying to get unstuck with jacks and boards and such. It'll only take once with a winch and you'll be thinking it is the best thing you ever bought for your vehicle.

I absolutely second this. I own three winches as of last count. I use them all the time. Not just vehicle recovery but for working around in the woods, my property, moving things like sheds or lumber, logs, trees, stumps, equipment, whatever. They are the best tool ever! Don’t skimp on a winch either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perterra

Adventurer
I just wish someone would give the accepted definition of "overlanding". Because if I have to travel to Ethiopia, Patagonia or Novosibirsk from Texas, or require chain sawing my way through a jungle and floating my vehicle across a river on logs, or winching my vehicle up cliff faces to be considered "overlanding" then I have been wasting my time here. I just like to get out, see stuff I havent seen. It may involve dirt trails, or it may involve interstate highways. It may be sleeping in a tent, or it may be sleeping in the La Posada in Winslow. I have hit the point in my life, I no longer feel the need to test myself against any damn thing.

DailyExpedition

I just wish someone would give the accepted definition of "overlanding". Because if I have to travel to Ethiopia, Patagonia or Novosibirsk from Texas, or require chain sawing my way through a jungle and floating my vehicle across a river on logs, or winching my vehicle up cliff faces to be considered "overlanding" then I have been wasting my time here. I just like to get out, see stuff I havent seen. It may involve dirt trails, or it may involve interstate highways. It may be sleeping in a tent, or it may be sleeping in the La Posada in Winslow. I have hit the point in my life, I no longer feel the need to test myself against any damn thing.

Well I thought about the meaning too and really I think it’s really going anywhere adventure takes you, get the essentials, then depending on your likes as far as going on trails, staying by the highway, or blazing your own path, you’ll figure out pretty easy what you’ll need. First off a capable vehicle, then a sense of adventure, it all falls into place after that. No one can be prepared for everything. Get a hatchet, small shovel, blankets, flashlights, lighters, food and water, clothes, and a full gas tank. After that everything else is extra. At the same time you need to weigh how often you’ll use those “extras”, if you’re only going on an adventure once a year then keep it simple and save your money. I honestly get all my ideas for what I’ll need by looking at everyone else’s builds/pics.

CSG

Explorer
While I have a Lexus Land Cruiser, I almost always go camping in my 2 wheel drive Pleasureway Traverse van. My solution is don't go down roads that are too iffy with no easy way to turn around. I do carry a shovel, 12v Viair compressor, and the same things I would carry otherwise. The van is a shelter with propane, water, heat, a/c (if I bring a generator which I don't), etc.

I would guess less than 25% here do actual overlanding as opposed to camping off gravel and dirt roads and, more often than not, campgrounds.

The best thing you need for going offroad is common sense and the wisdom to know when not to move forward.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer

I try not to use abused/misused terms like "overlanding"... camping, for me, involves road tripping to the trail head then going on from there (rarely on foot since the knees gave out,) often in low range 4wd, sometimes in 2wd if the unmaintained trail is easy (boring)...

IMO, The term "overlanding" has been abused to the point that simply leaving your driveway could be so labeled...
If a trip does not include unmaintained roads/trails its a road trip.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

DailyExpedition

One thing I think is invaluable on the road wether in the city out of town or the trails is an obdII scanner. I have one and an old Samsung tablet with torque pro on it, being able to scan it when the check engine light comes on or if your rig starts running funny and know exactly what it is instead of throwing parts at it is probably one of the most important things to keep with you

lost1

I think you should be critical of anyone telling you that you "need" something for over landing. Overlanding is the simplest of all travels and although the majority of us on this site would probably concur that it involves a "vehicle' of some type or other, what you choose and how you choose to use it is entirely up to you.
I have seen people traverse the planet overland on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, 4 and 6 wheel+. How you choose to fulfill your hierarchy of needs is your decision. This website is an excellent resource for generating ideas, but there are a lot of people keen on advising based on their personal experiences which may be quite limited for your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier